hdmi vs component resolutions

Status
Please reply by conversation.
Ok my tv has one hdmi input and my h20 wont talk to it yet..so would it be the opinion of most folks here to stick with component for Dtv and maybe use hdmi for an upconverting dvd player?

i have comp cables hooked up and it works great tried test hdmi cables but get no sound i have tried dolby on and dolby off still no wound

i have comp cables hooked up and it works great tried test hdmi cables but get no sound i have tried dolby on and dolby off still no wound

I`m in the same boat as you, I hook up the HDMI and get sound for about 10 mins. the all goes silent.Until yesterday after the new 11b firmware upgrade I thought I was in business.I watched the entire Colts-Pats game yesterday via HDMI and audio and video worked great !!!!!!!!!!!!! I turn it on today and back to all quiet after a few mins.Oh well it worked for a day.Hopefully the next upgrade will start addressing some of the fine tuning issues once they get the major problems addressed. Good thing is I know it actually does work,just not on a consistent basis.

I have seen significant differance on the brightness and color depth of LCD projection and DLP using HDMI over Component. I have tested this on dozens of TV's so far, it improves every time.

LCD and Plasma are a wash.

I should clarify that most of the TV's I am testing are Sony LCD projection or Samsung DLP. These are the two TV's that I am recommending for satellite customers. I prefer the DLP over LCD-P, but some people like Sony. My findings could be unique to these manufactures. The LCD and Plasma TV's do not provide, IMO, a watchable picture using satellite on SD channels.
We have had zero problems relating to HDMI audio. We have seen a problem with less expensive cables. Sometimes the connectors do not make a solid connection with the HDMI plug. We have moved up to a mid-range priced HDMI cable , and have not had problems.

I should clarify that most of the TV's I am testing are Sony LCD projection or Samsung DLP. These are the two TV's that I am recommending for satellite customers. I prefer the DLP over LCD-P, but some people like Sony. My findings could be unique to these manufactures. The LCD and Plasma TV's do not provide, IMO, a watchable picture using satellite on SD channels.
We have had zero problems relating to HDMI audio. We have seen a problem with less expensive cables. Sometimes the connectors do not make a solid connection with the HDMI plug. We have moved up to a mid-range priced HDMI cable , and have not had problems.

I'm using a Samsung LCD 40" set (LNS-4095) hooked up via a relatively inexpensive 6' hdmi cable that I bought from monoprice and get great picture and sound. Spending more $$ on cables doesn't necessarily get you better picture or sound quality. I think I paid somewhere in the $16-19 range for my cables vs $150-200 for equivalent Monster cable.

The people who claim they get far superior picture or sound out of their expensive cables are just trying to justify the addition $$ they spent on those expensive cables.

I did not say a dang thing about picture quality and lower cost cables. I said the connectors sometimes are a problem. If the HDMI connector is not secure, you will have problems. Since we warranty our installs, we tend to use equipment that will provide us with more reliable service.

I agree that most HDMI cables are waaaay over priced. We charge between $45 (24awg (3 feet) and $99 (35 Feet).

Anyone who has been around for more than a few years, knows that the quality of a cable usually has less to do with actual signal transfer and more with long term reliability. Over time cables can degrade from oxidation and cable tension. I am not saying you need some over priced monster cable, but I have found that the cheapest cable usually cause problems down the road whereas a mid-priced cable can provide reliable service and not break the bank.

It is a matter of degrees. I can safely assume most people reading this post are the DIY type. Installers deal with people that do not want to know how it works, what is better, or what last longer. They want to pay us to do the job right and not have problems. That requires good installers to use materials most of you guys would not consider worth it, because you can fix it when it goes bad. Most consumers would either pay someone to fix the problem, or even worse, live with a problem they should not have to live with. So if I sell them a more slightly more expensive cable than what many here promote, that I think will provide a longer life span and ultimately provide better service, am I really wasting that customers money, or am I doing a better job for them?

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)