HDNet suing D* over package move

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Status
Please reply by conversation.

rad

Supporting Founder
Original poster
Supporting Founder
Lifetime Supporter
Cutting Edge
Sep 7, 2003
Dripping Springs, TX
Saw this over at DBSTalk.Com.

It says that HDNet is taking D* to court over their plan to move the two HDNet channels to a seperate package.

It says that HDNet is taking D* to court over their plan to move the two HDNet channels to a seperate package.
Well I said when this first started that doing it would hurt HDnet and the others. Possibly kill them off. I could smell this coming. The channels in that little package are really expendable now. HDnet may lose 50% of its subs now if D* subs cancel it.

So what now? Will D* move forward with it's HD pack? If they do and lose in court will they dissolve the HD pack and be subjected to issuing refunds to anyone who subscribed to the HD pack?

I agree with HD Net on this one.

People paid for years for HDNet and now POOF they are just going to move it to a more expensive package. This channel was a base channel of the HD package.

I'm only hoping that D* doesn't change its pricing strategy - they could after all just raise the HD access fee to 15 or 20 and make it one price for all.

But that woud at least appease HDNet, as ALL HD subs would get the programming I guess.

I just don't think that D* will NOT look to raise its HD pricing somehow.

I'm only hoping that D* doesn't change its pricing strategy - they could after all just raise the HD access fee to 15 or 20 and make it one price for all.

But that woud at least appease HDNet, as ALL HD subs would get the programming I guess.

I just don't think that D* will NOT look to raise its HD pricing somehow.

I think if D* had done that (at the next price increase window in February) they could have avoided a lot of disappointment.

D* should just offer all the HD chnls at one price. Stop trying to break stuff up in groups. Making things hard to work with. They will make more money if they just do it that way.
If you have an hd box i get all hd chnls at such and such price. PERIOD.

I think if D* had done that (at the next price increase window in February) they could have avoided a lot of disappointment.

IMHO, as witnessed by being a member here (and elsewhere), NO MATTER WHAT they did (of what DISH or cable, or FiOS) does, there will be debate - and BOTH happy and disappointed customers.

If they want to raise the prices they should have just make the new Price $14.99 for all . Or they should give us a break for about 2 years to make up for the $10.99 and $9.99 per month I used to pay to have the least amount of HD programming around.I bet they don't remember that!:rolleyes:

I would think a compromise is in order - after all if they thought EVERYONE would take the HD extra package, they wouldn't have put it separate. If they FORCE everyone to take it as a result of this suit, maybe $12.99 would please everyone - and not make them look so greedy. A $2 buck a month rise over what it had been for the old offering looks like a great deal to me.

What do you say Chase?

Just do what they said they'd do, no increase in prices when the new channels light up, then next year hit us with an increase and leave all the HD channels in the one package.

I would think a compromise is in order - after all if they thought EVERYONE would take the HD extra package, they wouldn't have put it separate. If they FORCE everyone to take it as a result of this suit, maybe $12.99 would please everyone - and not make them look so greedy. A $2 buck a month rise over what it had been for the old offering looks like a great deal to me.

What do you say Chase?
I would go for that .Why not just make it a premium option and give the discounts for the more premiums you have. Like Cinemax,Starz,HBO,Showtime,and the sports pack.

I would go for that .Why not just make it a premium option and give the discounts for the more premiums you have. Like Cinemax,Starz,HBO,Showtime,and the sports pack.

+1

A brilliant and workable suggestion.

The effects from a suit like this could be significant both positive and negative. This is just speculation, but maybe this is why the HD roll out has been slow the last couple of weeks relative to the pace of the roll out of National Channels in the beginning. The last couple of weeks has only seen some RSN and sports networks (NHL & NBA).If this pattern continues at this rate D* won't make their projected 100 channels by year end.

I would have no problem paying more for HD access. I think what they are trying to do is to seem like they are giving people a choice if they want a price increase or not. I think that if they said though that they were raising their HD access price and just raised it to say 14.99 that people may have complained about it but would pay it.

I would have no problem paying more for HD access. I think what they are trying to do is to seem like they are giving people a choice if they want a price increase or not. I think that if they said though that they were raising their HD access price and just raised it to say 14.99 that people may have complained about it but would pay it.

I agree! When E* added the voom channels they just upped their HD access fee by $10 to $20 dollars a month. No choice! If you want HD on E* you HAVE to pay for the vooms.
D* is giving us a choice. All the HD channels that are also available in SD are $10. If you want the HDNET channels etc. it's another 5 bucks. The HDNET channels are expensive. Some where around $1.30 per month per channel. Then add on the others in the extra pack and it's probably a wash for D*. I've already signed up for the extra pack and start paying for it 12/15. I like most of the channels in the extra pack but the HDNET channels aren't really that good in my opinion. No better than the crappy voom channels. Bottom line is if you don't want the extra pack don't get it but if you do then it's still $5 bucks a month lower than E* and their voom crap one is forced to get if you want their HD. :D

And don't forget some cable companies have an extra HD tier that has NDNet on it. D* is not the first to to do this to them.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)