HDNet to Provide Live Exclusive High-Definition Coverage of Launch of Shuttle Discove

I wasn't at home to watch or initiate a record of the HDnet Shuttle launch coverage...is it going to be rebroadcast? I figure it would be, as they had before, but I was wondering if anyone had solid info. Thanks.

Yep, amazing what a little search can do...I hadn't thought to be so, well, logical (assumed it wouldn't be there because it wasn't in the 622s guide, HA!).

Short answer, for anyone else who wants the info--first encore pres is tomorrow, Sat July 8th @1pm EST. They'll be doing periodic shuttle updates through the month...very cool (it stirs the soul of the 8 yr old in me who could only dream of seeing this stuff so big and clear back in the day when I watched the test flights in grade school on a crappy little A/V cart TV :)).

I hope I can catch the playback from the the SRB cameras on HD-Net or NASA-TV. NASA showed the video from the boosters last year (including audio) and it was pretty neat. The SRBs lead a very rough life.

Mark Cuban needs to pay NASA to take an HD Camera up to the International Space Station. Judging by the downlinked video from the ISS, though, NASA must believe in l-o-o-o-w bit-rates. Still, it would be cool if there was HD video to watch from the station, especially during the shuttle visits and EVAs.

The images from the fuel tank cam of the SRB sep and then the fuel tank sep was pretty amazing! A lot of peripheral flame/fire just prior to the fuel tank sep, which looked almost like a ring or halo of fire in the left upper area. Spectacular stuff to see.

An HD camera on the ISS would be great, I agree! I was watching quite a bit of the spacewalk this morning and I agree that the overall bitrate of both the audio and video are still awfully low compared to what they could be providing...

NASA-TV is replaying the SRB videos tonight during the Mission Recap. The starboard SRB camera looks back towards the nozzle end and the port camera looks forward towards the nose of the shuttle, getting a good picture of the shuttle's port wing. I'm going to set up a DVR event for this right now.

For those that missed it, NASA's web site has a link to the SRB videos.

I just watched the landing - taped this morning... the goober that was commenting blabbed on until the shuttle was about 10 seconds from landing where they finally cut to the shuttle. When I watch a landing I am used to seeing the shuttle fly over make the S turn etc.. next landing its back to NASA select for the landing...

dfergie said:
I just watched the landing - taped this morning... the goober that was commenting blabbed on until the shuttle was about 10 seconds from landing where they finally cut to the shuttle. When I watch a landing I am used to seeing the shuttle fly over make the S turn etc.. next landing its back to NASA select for the landing...
Yeah I watched ABC with HDNet in pip, preparing to switch over to HDNet as soon as the talking head was done. I was surprised when ABC was showing these long distance shots, and even some closer shots; the landing gear going down, and HDNet had still not switched over. You would think the producer/director would have switched it over before then. They have all those cameras set up and yet the main camera for the landing was the studio camera.

It was still nice to see the shuttle land in HD though.

I too was disappointed with HDNet's coverage of the landing and watched it on NASA-TV instead - which was great!

Over at Avs Greg Dobbs ( the talking head ) responded in a thread "over there"
Ladies and Gentlemen, I'm Greg Dobbs, the "talking head" on HDNet who nobody liked the day Discovery landed (7-17-06). Guess what? I wouldn't have liked me either. But we owe you an explanation for the serious shortcomings of the coverage--- which is not an excuse, just an explanation. We had three HD cameras at the Shuttle Landing Facility at the Kennedy Space Center, and thanks to HDNet's experience and partnership with NASA, two were in privileged positions. That's the good news. The bad news is, not long before touchdown, we had a serious equipment failure--- not on the order of a shuttle equipment failure in terms of consequences, but serious for us, and for our viewers.
More here

long_time_DNC said:
The images from the fuel tank cam of the SRB sep and then the fuel tank sep was pretty amazing! A lot of peripheral flame/fire just prior to the fuel tank sep, which looked almost like a ring or halo of fire in the left upper area. Spectacular stuff to see.

An HD camera on the ISS would be great, I agree! I was watching quite a bit of the spacewalk this morning and I agree that the overall bitrate of both the audio and video are still awfully low compared to what they could be providing...
just caught this yesterday, awesome...

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts