HDNews: run to St. Helens NOW!!!

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

Walter L.

Supporting Founder
Original poster
Supporting Founder
Mar 29, 2004
Portland, Oregon
For those of you not aware there is currently a watch for St. Helens eruption.
Mark Cuban has posted at AVS that "we have a camera on the way out.. Dont know if we can sit there for weeks, but we are working to be there" (see here).

Come on VOOM!!! Don't miss this opportunity.

The opportunity is to catch it in HD if/when it explodes. That's what Mark Cuban will try to do. Notice that he mentions that "dont know if we can sit there for weeks".

That will be great too...But I think that's the 64K question....? (uh... do we need more natural dissasters).

If St. Helens erupts it most likely won't be an eruption like the one in 1980. It had another eruption in 1986 and it obviously wasn't anywhere near as newsworthy as the 1980 eruption. Apparently there is hardened dome in the crater that has pressure behind it. It still would be cool to see though.

adamneh said:
If St. Helens erupts it most likely won't be an eruption like the one in 1980. It had another eruption in 1986 and it obviously wasn't anywhere near as newsworthy as the 1980 eruption.
That's the most likely scenario. However, nobody knows for sure. In fact scientists didn't expected the 1980 eruption to be the way it was and 57 people were killed, including 21 bodies that were never recovered from the blast zone.

Walter L. said:
For those of you not aware there is currently a watch for St. Helens eruption.
Mark Cuban has posted at AVS that "we have a camera on the way out.. Dont know if we can sit there for weeks, but we are working to be there" (see here).

Come on VOOM!!! Don't miss this opportunity.
Why? SO the camera man can die? Sounds like a bonehead thing to do.

vurbano said:
Why? SO the camera man can die? Sounds like a bonehead thing to do.
I'm not asking to send the camera man inside the crater ;). I'm saying go and film it from a safe distance such as the Johnson Ridge Observatory

You dont have to be in the crater to die. And how would one know what the safe distance is to prevent ones lungs from being burned by hot ash? I recall some film of the last eruption years ago, I believe the camera man died or barely escaped. I bet he thought he was at a safe distance too. Its about as smart as grabbing a camera to cover a hurricane on the ocean front.

OK guys. Let's wait and see if Mark Cuban's camera man dies or HDNet gets an astonishing film of the explosion, or most likely a nice report showing somekind of minor eruption activity :)
BTW, it is more likely that the camera man dies in a car accident driving from the airport to St. Helens than from an eruption ;)

If I remember correctly back when it popped the first time, National Geographic had printed pictures of it, but the photorapher who took it died.

Please HD crews you should be 5 times more safe than SD crews, lets be clear on that.

bet thats an amazing sight and at the same time a bit unsettling... TAKE PICS :)

here are some news:

http://story.news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=story&u=/ap/20041001/ap_on_sc/mount_st__helens&e=1&ncid=

http://news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=story&u=/ap/20041001/ap_on_re_us/ring_of_fire_2

capt.wxs10810010438.st_helens_quakes_wxs108.jpg

Walter L. said:
HOLY S**T!!! I'm looking at the steam cloud from my office window NOW (I'm approx. 60 miles south-west)
Great view Walter, I have to climb up on top of my house or drive 1 mile to an I-5 overpass to get a peek at the peak of St. Helens. I've been recording all of the news segments and putting it on DVD, can't wait for "the big one".

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)