Keep HDNEws or Not?

jimmykce1

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Apr 5, 2004
Since I have seen a post about HDnews channel, I would like to start a poll and see how this foreum responds and maybe sean can give the results back to Voom.

This poll kind of goes along with what people are saying in that other thread... it seems most want to see more improvements but like HDNEws.

Definitely keep it! If nothing else, this puts pressure on other News networks to go HD sooner than later.

I enjoy HDNews.

It's pretty cool to have 4 weather maps at once.

And indeed, this might just put some pressure to go HD for news at the national level.

It's better as idea than reality. there's just nowhere enough hd news clip so most of the time it's like hd radio (an oxymoron). I don't think voom can afford to spend money on this now. maybe later on.

I don't think Voom spends a whole lot to produce HDNews right now anyway, I really like the idea and the potential. If most of Voom's customers comes from word of mouth, then people raving about the new Cinema10 channel lineup and new and improved HDNews and the loss of Moov and 999 for INHD *heh ... had to throw that in* should help.

I just had a call from Voom about this -- taking a poll about HDNews. They raised all the same issues we raise in this forum and asked me how important they were on a scale of 1 to 4.

Basically I like HDNews. But to hold my interest for more than a couple of minutes HDNews needs more than just a few headlines repeated over and over.

So far it looks like most of you want to keep this channel, but increase the content on it.

Sean, can you pass this information to Voom. Also it seems most of us would like Moov and 999 dropped too by the other poll.

I love HD news. The featurettes are getting better and better. It can't compare with something like headline news yet, but it just needs time to add staff and get better and reporting.

One point that has not been mentioned about HDNews is what having "their own HD news service" says about VOOM!

D* and E* merely rebroadcast existing channels. They don't offer anything exclusive.

VOOM is not only a "rebroadcaster" but a source of unique content. Having so many unique channels ("and, Hilary, they even have their own News channel") makes VOOM unique -- not just the same-old in high def.

This is a BIG commitment! Look at Discovery HD or Fox News -- it is big enough to succeed with a single great channel. What is Voom doing? They are building an HDNews channel from the ground up, an Equator channel from the ground up, 9 other new concept channels from the ground up, 10 movie channels, throwing their own bird into the air, integrating with OTA, and who knows what else is coming? It's a pretty astonishing undertaking.

The thing with Voom is, other people don't know about it, once people see what I got at home they like it, otherwise Voom's just a mystery to most people. Also the nonstop flyers from D* or E* to their homes is no help to Voom either. I think Voom should put together a nice promotional flyer and target residential areas in places they know can get good OTA reception. In their they can outline their HD Exclusives better.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)