It was ok while it lasted, but c-ya

SaintsFan

Active SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
May 5, 2004
I tried Voom out for about 4 months but with the NFL season here its time to go. I honestly hope Voom does well because competition is always good for the consumer, but I gotta have my NFL Sunday ticket in HD. Its also nice to finally have all my local channels even though they are not in HD. Voom would not hardly work with me at all on this. I'm not trying to make anyone mad but how many of you can actually say that you watch any of the movies on Cinema 10. In 4 months I cant count on one hand the number of movies I have watched on these channels and I watch a lot of TV. I prefer quality over quantity. Maybe its my age(29). The only HD channels I watched (99% of the time) were Discovery, ESPN, Rush, and HDNews. Well, here's wishing everyone the best with their VOOM experiences, it can only get better.

We are sorry to see you leave. You may want to do a little more research on the quality vs. quantity theory though. If ST is a must have I can't blame you but you may be surprised in the quality area.

I don't see what age has to do with it, I've seen at least 1 movie on Cinema10 per week, but Rave/Rush/Equator/HDNews/MonstersHD are on all the time. Toss in some WorldSport and I'm good to go. I also watch the other HD channels but, the 21 exclusives are free. Voom CSRs were always friends about getting the OTA upgraded for me, it was INstalls Inc that was dragging their feet.

I have a better OTA, a 24" dish, the new firmware, I'm pretty much set to stick with Voom until they hopefully never die out.

if ST was a must have, why did you sign up with Voom in the first place? You did realize that DirecTV has an exclusive on ST, didn't you?

For me, it was the reverse situation. I don't really need ST, but I watch lots of NBA and the lack of TNT-HD on DirecTV is what prompted me to try Voom. And 4 months later, DirecTV still doesn't have TNT-HD with the NBA season just around the corner.

Can't wait to see some Shaquille O'Neal in HD, hopefully TNT will have some Heat games scheduled. I was bummed to see FSN FL doesn't have any Heat games as some HD Heat would be sweet. I know that the local UPN has HD capabilities, but will they air heat Games in HD?

Enjoy the pitiful PQ D* is serving up for the Sunday Ticket, I'm sorry you must support them in this.

SaintsFan said:
I gotta have my NFL Sunday ticket in HD.
That's perhaps the only valid reason to go D*, BUT:

SaintsFan said:
how many of you can actually say that you watch any of the movies on Cinema 10?
Look at the number of reviewer here:

http://www.satelliteguys.us/showthread.php?t=20089

Of course, it is a matter individual preference.
BTW, from what I know, these are the same kind of movies that you'll get at HDNet movies (non-premium)

SaintsFan said:
I prefer quality over quantity.
If you really do then D* is the wrong way to look for quality these days:

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?s=&threadid=444673

If you really want quality over quantity, perhaps, E* would be a better place .

Anyway, good luck!!!

I'm not a sports fan but you might want to look twice at ST. I've been reading in another forum, it might be here too, that there's a new blackout requirement from the NFL this year....

If any NFL game is shown on one of your local channels then it will be blacked out on ST. In the past, I believe they blacked out only home games that were not sold out.

A lot of D* football fans are not happy with this.

DarrellP said:
Enjoy the pitiful PQ D* is serving up for the Sunday Ticket, I'm sorry you must support them in this.

I have the ST NFL and PQ is fine here. Even SD FB is better than no FB and the HD is good. Have they lowered bandwith for some channels yup ...but DTV at least has PPV, HDVR, HBO for only around $12.99/month(guess) not $20 and I can still use the boxes I have including Tivo for like $5 a non hd TV.... I am not a Voom hater or DTV lover but DTV is not all bad or they would not have millions of Subs. :rolleyes:

edit: and i still have Voom for now.

Madtown HD Junkie said:
I have the ST NFL and PQ is fine here. Even SD FB is better than no FB and the HD is good. Have they lowered bandwith for some channels yup ...but DTV at least has PPV, HDVR, HBO for only around $12.99/month(guess) not $20 and I can still use the boxes I have including Tivo for like $5 a non hd TV.... I am not a Voom hater or DTV lover but DTV is not all bad or they would not have millions of Subs. :rolleyes:

edit: and i still have Voom for now.

DTV = Digital TV
D* = Direct TV

BTW, only a fraction of the "millions of D* subs" get the HD package ;)

Can someone please tell me exactly what "Quality" over "Quantity" means? Are they referring to the HD Demo channel HDNet? You know that was the free demo channel until D* put together the HD pack. Help me understand. I've only been doing HD for three and a half years.

Regards

I find the movies great, unedited and now will be in OAR. you want better movies then subscribe to STARZ, HBO, Showtime. D* won't produce HD content for you. It seems to me that you picked quantity over quality. I don't fault you for wanting ST. I woudn't pay for it myself with the current NFL rules. They really suck.

Yea, I wish I had read this post a couple days earlier. I missed a couple days work because of IVAN THE TERRIBLE so I havent check the boards in a few days. Since then I have gotten DTV and was very bitter to see that I could not watch my beloved Saints stink it up on ST. Having trouble with the locals too. I doubt Voom has the money but I would be nice to see them outbid DTV for the rights to Sunday Ticket(Anyone know the length of the contract DTV has with NFL). Maybe in my dreams! No biggie- we could all stand to watch a little less TV anyway- especially that crap on Divine.

so now you've spent more money for less HD and can't even get the games you wanted to get that prompted your switch? Is it too late to switch back? I was able to get a refund on a recently purchased D* HD receiver and remove the associated 1 year commitment when I decided to switch to Voom for HD.

Sean, don't get upset at me because your "cause" lost another member. If you can't face the facts, shut up. Now, how about you getting a life chump.

DobyMax said:
Sean, don't get upset at me because your "cause" lost another member. If you can't face the facts, shut up. Now, how about you getting a life chump.

Why don't you...:shocked and leave the Voom forum. It gets old seeing your negative replies in every post.

Wayne
Moderator Note: Inflamatory remark removed.

jimmykce1 said:
I think the "Sunday Ticket" contract that D* has is going to expire this year.

The 2007 Season is the first up for anyone else(Cable,D*,E*)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)