That's it! See ya! (Wouldn't want to be ya!)

ChetK

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
May 14, 2004
Round Rock, TX
I'm out too. I've been thinking of doing this for a while now, but now it's time to say goodbye to all the family...M.I.C...See you later...K.E.Y...Why? Because none of us are really sure what will happen with Voom, E* or D*. M.O.U.S.E.

But in all seriousness: I have no ill will towards Voom. I hope they do well so that it puts fuel on the fire of the competitors. However, Voom has a lot to learn about the Satellite industry. You can't run a satellite company like a cable company. You can't make false promises. You can't have bad customer service. You can't have deceptive advertising/practices. You can't charge tax for states that don't charge out-of-state tax. You can't have sub-par picture quality. Now, they want to tell the investers that they won't spend over a certain amount per quarter. You know what that means for the consumer? It means that technology won't advance as fast as they'd like it to do to big budget constraints.

At first, I thought Voom listened to their customers. But the further I got into the lease program, I realized, they're just making us think they're listening to us.

Great idea...Poor execution.

Anyway, I just wanted to say bye to the helpful folks on this forum. I don't really care to hear your sarcastic remarks about why I'm posting that I'm leaving. Everybody that states why they're leaving gets flamed and I really couldn't care less. I'll continue to read the forum, but I won't post negative comments that aren't true just because I'm a previous customer. I might, be compelled to educate inquiring potential customers though.

Just to let you know what I'm doing: I cancelled Voom because I'm tired of paying nearly $100 a month for 21 exclusive bandwidth wasters that I don't even watch.
  • I find that BravoHD only shows the same 4 shows over and over (that's an exageration, but the only show I've ever watched there is the Goo Goo Dolls live and I think they show it every day.)
  • I don't watch Showtime because I don't like their original programming and I have already seen every movie on DVD before it gets to Showtime. Plus, macroblocking only does one thing for me: It takes me out of the movie.
  • Same goes for CinemaxHD and StarzHD.
  • TMCHD doesn't show anything I care to watch.
I realize that these are all programming complaints, but when I'm paying nearly $100 per month, I need to be happy with the programming.

So, since I still have the E* 6000U (that I own) I called Dish Network and I reactivated my account. They wanted to charge a $25 reactivation fee, but I nicely asked if they would wave it and they did with no problem. Now, I subscribe to their HD Pack ($9.90 per month) which gives me ESPNHD, Discovery HD Theater, TNTHD, HDNet and HDNet Movies. And I added HBO for $12.50 per month (compared to $19.90 plus or minus a few pennies I believe with Voom) because I like HBO's original series. So, I get all of that for $28 and some change. About a third of what I was paying for Voom.

You might say, "enjoy watching less HD." And to that I say, "Enjoy paying 3 times what I'm paying!" Go ahead and enjoy more HD and I'll go ahead and enjoy better HD. Once HD-DVDs or Blu-Ray hits the market, none of those additional channels will matter anyway.

Good luck, I am sorry VOOM did not work out for you. As for me, I will re-evaluate things on January 1st. I pay about $126 a month for VOOM now, which is more than I can really afford (especially when they freeze twice that each month in my checking account), but I really like where they are headed and what I have seen so far. Take care and stop by from time to time.

kaw

ChetK, Sorry to hear VOOM didn't work for you. But I guess, the "bleeding edge" is not for everyone. Hope you can find what you are looking for.

As for $28, I am impressed that you can get HD package with HBO at such a low price, but I think it's unfair to compare lease pricing to programming pricing as you just did. I am currently paying $39.90 for VOOM+HBO (I own my V* equipment as you own your E* equipment, so I have no other charges).

So long Chet.
Like Kawdawg I may be joining your ranks at the end of the year.
My wife has joined Netflix and is questioning paying for no real content.
I liked your goodbye remarks, not whining but straight forward reasoning.
Good Luck to you sir.

Why does everyone feel the need to post goodbye letters?

By the way you list BravoHD as being boring, however what of the rumors of NBC moving some of their affiliate programming over (USA/NBC/SCIFI) over to BravoHD?

Just like you bought the E* equipment, if you owned the V* equipment you could save some money, also for 1 TV it's $30 for regular programming, MAYBE, then you add $10 for HDTV then you add $12 for HBO.

So you're paying $52 plus taxes and fees monthly. Granted you would pay $60 for the same exact thing with Voom, if you owned the equipment. However you would still get the 21 HD exclusives, 2 HBO HDs, ESPNHD, BravoHD, TNTHD, DiscoveryHD, and the OTA HD channels. If you ask me its the same thing, now if you had VaVaVoom you had tons more programming choices. As for TMC and Starz not having anything good to watch, I disagree.

See ya later man. Hey, you never know, you may inadvertently be back eventually when E* buys V*
speechless-smiley-040.gif

violent-smiley-026.gif

ChetK said:
So, since I still have the E* 6000U (that I own) I called Dish Network and I reactivated my account. They wanted to charge a $25 reactivation fee, but I nicely asked if they would wave it and they did with no problem. Now, I subscribe to their HD Pack ($9.90 per month) which gives me ESPNHD, Discovery HD Theater, TNTHD, HDNet and HDNet Movies. And I added HBO for $12.50 per month (compared to $19.90 plus or minus a few pennies I believe with Voom) because I like HBO's original series. So, I get all of that for $28 and some change. About a third of what I was paying for Voom.

You might say, "enjoy watching less HD." And to that I say, "Enjoy paying 3 times what I'm paying!" Go ahead and enjoy more HD and I'll go ahead and enjoy better HD. Once HD-DVDs or Blu-Ray hits the market, none of those additional channels will matter anyway.

What did you pay for the 6000U? You should factor that in to your monthly charges. Enjoy watching less HD!

Can we get a new sticky thread titled "Egomaniacs who think it's a public event that they're cancelling the service - post here?" Sooo tired of these posts. Of course, I was tired of the whining that inevitably precedes them too.

buh-bye.

By the way: I'm going to poop after I finish my coffee. I thought long and hard about this, and I know some of the haters and flamers will disagree with my decision, but I thought everyone should know.

wnpublic said:
By the way: I'm going to poop after I finish my coffee. I thought long and hard about this, and I know some of the haters and flamers will disagree with my decision, but I thought everyone should know.

What corn-bit-rate do you get with your morning poop. Ever since the upgrade to 6.10 I've been seeing less corn in my poop and was wondering if anyone else has noticed the same thing. Also, have you tried pooping before your coffee. I find the morning coffee experience a lot more enjoyable with an empty bowel.

wnpublic said:
Incredible. Made my day!!

The VaVAVOOM full package is a bit pricey...but thats because its the full package. Any services full package is alot of money. For me I think that the basic Voom pack for 50 bucks is a great deal. Alot of people feel that they have to write the forum when they leave then so be it. I would problably do the same since I feel that I spend alot of time in this forum and I guess its a way of saying goodbye and all. Voom better get that 0 installation deal rolling again.

ChetK,
too bad Voom is not for you. I enjoyed your colorful comments although I often disagreed with your opinions.

I feel genuinely sorry for people on the E* forum. I bet that you let them know how E* sux and is way behind Voom in HD revolution. :D

See ya Chet, I'm losing one of my best supporters on this forum. I'm on the fence as well, I only pay $17/month to Dish and watch it much more than my $64/month Voom. Programming is improving at a snail's pace, PQ still suffers across the board but I will hold out until Jan 1 to see what transpires. If they don't get WM9 implemented quickly (& improve PQ with it) and don't get a functional PVR out, I may cancel as well when the price goes up.

I don't watch any SD programming, so the cost, to me, is exorbitant. It's a sad day when people like Chet leave because Voom needs vocal people to let them know what's wrong with their service (don't know if they listen, but WTH?)

Later, Chet.

Moderator: Can we get a new thread titled: "Joe & Jane 6 Packs who think Voom is so wonderful they could just sh*t themselves?"

Sorry guys, I like Voom, but wake up and smell the coffee.

DarrellP said:
Moderator: Can we get a new thread titled: "Joe & Jane 6 Packs who think Voom is so wonderful they could just sh*t themselves?"

I have never seen a post suggesting that "Voom is so wonderful they could just sh*t themselves". Have you, DarrellP? If not, what's your point?

That is said. ChetK played by the rules and only critisized in a thread he started or stayed on a topic he commented to. He was not a complainer. I agree with everything he said especially about picture quality. As far as posting about leaving, I think it is the compliment to the forum. As someone said, most feel like family here and when a family member goes who has been a big contributor, you say goodbye. I think anyone who can't stand it should not read it. (The title alone says what it is about) I am very sorryto see ChetK leave. I will stay at least until the end of the year...see what the pricing is like and how they follow thru. I really don't want to switch to D" or E:". I trust them less. In this way I don't agree with Chet.

I really like the old movies in full screen and so so picture quality. Hope it will get better but it would help if VOOM was a bit more honest and forthcoming on what we can expect and when we can expect it. It would help stop the run off. People need something to cling too.

If this forum turns into how "wondeful everything is on VOOM."..I am going to be sick. Debate and dialague is the reason I come here. In that way we all learn. Post good or post critisism. "All are welcome into the light."

ChetK,
Sorry to see you leave. You provided good commentary. Even if I didn't agree, you positions were always honest and fair. Good Luck with Dish.

Mike

andrzej said:
I have never seen a post suggesting that "Voom is so wonderful they could just sh*t themselves". Have you, DarrellP? If not, what's your point?
Not exactly in those words, but many people here want to believe there are no PQ issues with VOOM. :(

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts