VOom screwing me after I cancelled. Beware!!

Madtown HD Junkie

Occasional Supreme Being
Original poster
Supporting Founder
Jun 3, 2004
Madison, WI
I had VOom for about 4 or 5 months and did enjoy it. I posted here http://www.satelliteguys.us/showthread.php?t=29543 why I left and did not rip them. Well I am going to rip the hell out of them now. I called the end of Aug., the 24th to be exact, and explained I was cancelling. They offered me a FREE (that means you don't pay for it) month to continue with them. I clarified specifically with the CSR when, if I indeed did cancel, I needed to do this by so I would not be charged as my account was current and had a zero balance. I was told I needed to cancel by Sep. 25th. I called a day early to do this on Friday, Sep. 24th at about 11:30 a.m. cst to be safe and asked they remove my CC info from the account. The CSR said it had been removed. They scheduled me for un-install this coming Friday, Oct. 1st. Now wouldn't you think it would be over??? NNNOOOOO!!! I check my CC statement today online and there is a charge for $52.50!!!! WTF is that? I called Voom this am at 7:45 am cst instantly after I saw the charge.

NOw it gets good. I was told the "retention credit" was reversed sice I cancelled!!!!!!! You believe that shi*. They offer me a free month to continue their service in hopes I will remain a customer. Then after the time is up and I do in fact cancel they have the gall to charge me and they call it "their policy". If someone really cancels they revese the credit and charge them. WHAT THE HELL IS THAT???? BULLSHI* i think. I asked to talk to a supervisor, they said they were short on supervisors currently and I would have to call back after 9:30 a.m. cst if I wanted to talk to someone. I put up with the fact their ass backwards CC system double charges (basically a pre authorization and authorization) people who choose to use a debit card. I out up with Olympic mess, and I even held out after their own website and program guide said the NFL HD channel was coming since Aug 1st. But this is absoulutely the worst case of customer service I have been a part of. How do you offer a customer a free month basically t try and get them to stay and they when they follow the rules as you tell them and do in fact no longer use your service you reverse the damn credit and try and charge them.

BEWARE VOOMERS IF YOU CANCEL. I have resisted bashing V* but the gloves are off. I hope their damn company goes belly up, every customer drops them, and they are in chapter 11 by xmas. No offense to current subs of V* but this is bukkshi* and they wonder why they can;t keep subs or get new ones. Hell, I had even talked to the local satellite dealer telling them they should consider selling Voom. What a mistake that was. I have already called my bank and reported fraud and filed a complaint with the BBB for what it was worth.

VOOM CAN ROT IN HELL!!!

Your anger is understandable. I think everyone would feel the same.

But... have we learned nothing, folks? When you cancel Voom it should be standard operating procedure to call your credit card company and get your account number changed so Voom is unable to keep charging you. Cancel the card entirely if you have to. I think they've pretty well proven by now that they will steal your money if you let them. So anyone who cancels should do themselves a favor and handle things with their CC company first. This isn't an attempt to blame you for what happened, Madtown. It's inexcusable that a company would operate this way, but the fact is that they do -- and I see no reason to think they won't continue to (until that whole belly-up-rotting-in-Hell thing happens anyway).

TheTimm said:
Your anger is understandable. I think everyone would feel the same.

But... have we learned nothing, folks? When you cancel Voom it should be standard operating procedure to call your credit card company and get your account number changed so Voom is unable to keep charging you. Cancel the card entirely if you have to. I think they've pretty well proven by now that they will steal your money if you let them. So anyone who cancels should do themselves a favor and handle things with their CC company first. This isn't an attempt to blame you for what happened, Madtown. It's inexcusable that a company would operate this way, but the fact is that they do -- and I see no reason to think they won't continue to (until that whole belly-up-rotting-in-Hell thing happens anyway).

This ire is not directed at you Timm but if a CUSTOMER has to change their CC or cancel becasue a company's head is up thier A88 re: accounting practices,,,,THEY SHOULD NOT BE IN BUSINESS in the first place. They wonder why they can't keep sub.

You know somethings wrong when the most recently posted threads as of now are:

"Voom Outrage"

"Voom charged me double"

"Voom screwing me..."

I know you guys are going thru some heartache, but you are having an impact. Voom new sub acquisitions are dead in the water, subs are dropping like flies and that shows how weary people are of this fly by night operation.

A word of advice, whenever speaking to any company and they promise you something, make sure your conversation is audio taped. I have a microcassette recorder which I use with a speakerphone, and I can tell you it has been invaluable in many instances. If you had your conversation audio taped, your CC company would have no problem giving you a permanent credit. Yes I know its sad you have to resort to doing that, but you are dealing with a scam operation and you have to realize that before making the call to disconnect your service. Good Luck in your transition to D* or E*.

Madtown HD Junkie said:
BEWARE VOOMERS IF YOU CANCEL. I have resisted bashing V* but the gloves are off. I hope their damn company goes belly up, every customer drops them, and they are in chapter 11 by xmas. No offense to current subs of V* but this is bukkshi* and they wonder why they can;t keep subs or get new ones. Hell, I had even talked to the local satellite dealer telling them they should consider selling Voom. What a mistake that was. I have already called my bank and reported fraud and filed a complaint with the BBB for what it was worth.

VOOM CAN ROT IN HELL!!!

Keep in mind that after today your grace period ends, and you will be considered a TROLL by many if you continue to post in the VOOM forum.

TheTimm said:
When you cancel Voom it should be standard operating procedure to call your credit card company and get your account number changed so Voom is unable to keep charging you. Cancel the card entirely if you have to. I think they've pretty well proven by now that they will steal your money if you let them

Nobody can dispute that VOOM's billing practices are the leader at being the worst in the industry.

You might as well go ahead and cancel your CC. More unauthorized charges are probably queuing up right at this moment.

My only hope is that there are 10-to-1 other cancellations that we never hear about because Voom did the right thing. It is possible that we only hear about the problem cases.

If anybody cancels, and it all goes smoothly, please post it!

Madtown sorry it went so bad for you!

It's really classless to take back retention credit. I mean did they tell you you were obligated to stay with them for X months by accepting the retention credit? I got one too (just $40) and they told me no such thing. It's like a hotel taking back your complimentary champagne when you haven't done anything like wreck the room.

And people talk about cancelling CC like it's nothing. I have a bunch of other services auto charged to the same CC and why should I have to go through the hassle of calling them up to change my CC info.

txcruiser said:
Keep in mind that after today your grace period ends, and you will be considered a TROLL by many if you continue to post in the VOOM forum.

Not all at. Madtown has been a class member from day 1 as far as I know. He has a right to complain and with good reasons. This is why a "VOOM customer" forum was created. Anyone can provide negatives/positives.

I agree with barth2k why should the customers have to change their CC. VOOM should get their act together in this billing issues. Too many already and with no solution in sight. This is so easy to do and it requires no "brain surgeon" to do. This only adds negativity to the already bad image that they are picturing in the satellite industry.

There is no excuse for this. Someone head should roll whomever is not doing his/her job correctly.

Sean Mota said:
This is so easy to do and it requires no "brain surgeon" to do.
Correct! But even if brain surgery were required, the patient must still have a brain in order to operate. This is stupidity extraordinaire!
There is no excuse for this. Someone head should roll whomever is not doing his/her job correctly.
Perhaps this is why it won't take a brain surgeon to fix...bring in the hatchet man!

This story sickens me! :eek: :down :down

When I cancel Voom I'm moving to Arizona, changing my name, and cutting off all contact with my family. They'll never find me.

Thanks Sean, I agree completely. I cancelled Voom on Aug 2 and have been billed twice since then. I finally got some of the credit one day ago, but by my paper bill, it appears that they plan to bill me again in a few days.

I am not a TROLL as someone else chose to call many of us. My money was (and still is) going into Voom. I enjoyed the product. I will feel welcome to comment on their poor customer service and billing whenever I feel it necessary and/or helpful.

That having been said, I will not waste anyone's time commenting on things in which I am no longer involved. You will not see me complaining about channels or PQ (which was never a problem for me), because I no longer see these and can provide no valid input.

I am very interested in Voom and will remain so. Obviously I will never consider going back if the accounting isn't cleaned up. There may come a time when Voom is again the best decision for me and for many others. I worry for Voom that they will lose many second chances with customers that cancelled Voom when it was too immature an offering.

Many of you refer to those not having Voom as TROLLS. Keep in mind that you need several hundred thousand of these TROLLS to sign up for Voom to stay in the game long-term.

barth2k said:
And people talk about cancelling CC like it's nothing. I have a bunch of other services auto charged to the same CC and why should I have to go through the hassle of calling them up to change my CC info.

Sean Mota said:
I agree with barth2k why should the customers have to change their CC. VOOM should get their act together in this billing issues. Too many already and with no solution in sight. This is so easy to do and it requires no "brain surgeon" to do. This only adds negativity to the already bad image that they are picturing in the satellite industry.

I didn't mean to imply that anyone should have to cancel a CC or change their account number, but I do stand by it as a suggestion of avoiding the oh-so-common Voom post-cancellation thievery issues. Of course Voom should handle this -- but I don't recommend holding your breath while waiting for that to happen. Until then, the problems can be avoided if Voom no longer has a valid CC number. If I "talk about cancelling CC like it's nothing", that's because for me it pretty much is -- Voom is the only company that set itself up to auto-charge me. And frankly, it seems like it would be a lot less of a hassle than trying to get money back from Voom. Again, no one should have to do this, but I sure would.

1080iBeVuMin said:
If anybody cancels, and it all goes smoothly, please post it!

Not to be a pessimistic but I don't see this happening even though it's the "The Internet's Largest VOOM Forum"

Just to let you know , i am now a VOOM troll , used to be a subscriber but had issues with pq and also cs. i troll to see if they have improved and i see alot more negs than positives here so it seems my cancelling was the right move so far. as ive said before i want voom to succeed if only to give the other providers competition, as it stands Voom is not a true competitor all around, i agree they have more hd but if i cant see it because of bad equiptment and bad customer service , what good is it ? I hope voom corrects these issues because i think in the short time they have been in business they made directv step up. i do not think directv would have sats going up nor as many hd (and it is few) as they now do. so lets go voom , pick up the pieces and let me want to try your service again.
Steve

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
KNOWN TROLL

Yeah they did the same to me with reversing the retention credit. I just assumed that I have more montly revenue than they do (assuming they are providing free service to the 28,000 subs still). I figure it like this ... #$@% 'em, I don't have to watch anymore. :cool:

Too bad they have still not cleaed up their act. I feel D* needs voom in order to improve themselves. I will say that Mike Anderson in the Spokane office was a cool guy who really tried to help.

Ahhh, the clarity of HD Lite ... will all be gone and replaced by JD Power #1 ranking HD in just 6 more months. :eek:

Oh I forgot to add that Voom is owned by the cable company with the lowest rated customer service for the last 4 years ... what were we expecting?

man guys...this kind of stuff really worries me

I have been considering VOOM for a while, however, I have put my decision on hold because of their poor pricing structure and policy (competition wise).

I do however still want to get it and I check the forum regularly to read about the latest.

Then I see stuff like this...it makes me wonder why I consider them at all.

It really is ashame to see a company with such great potential sit there and tighten the rope around their own neck.

They need to get new management in there to clean things up.

stevesmall said:
i think in the short time they have been in business they made directv step up. i do not think directv would have sats going up nor as many hd (and it is few) as they now do.

Are you kidding? You think Voom and their 28,000 suckers/beta testers influenced D* to launch Satellites and increase their future HD ?? The ball was rolling pretty well before Doom came along.

Anyway, These nightmare stories are becoming irritating even to a confessed Troll like myself.

Cant wait till next summer when Satelliteguys only has two forums; D* and E* - things will be so much more peaceful.

I am leaving VOOM, too

I am also leaving VOOM. On any station I want to watch, the PQ breaks up. I can't stand to watch in this fashion. I am back to D* with all premium channels. If I get overcharged like Madtown Junkie, I will post a note to let you all know. I won't cancel my CC, but will contest any unauthorized charges to the fullest.
Good luck to you Voomers. I'll enjoy HD Lite from D* without the constant breakups in the picture. Hasta la vista, baby!
:( :no :confused: :wave :mad:

zubinh said:
Are you kidding? You think Voom and their 28,000 suckers/beta testers influenced D* to launch Satellites and increase their future HD ?? The ball was rolling pretty well before Doom came along.

Anyway, These nightmare stories are becoming irritating even to a confessed Troll like myself.

Cant wait till next summer when Satelliteguys only has two forums; D* and E* - things will be so much more peaceful.

You worry too much about VOOM. Be content with what you got and move on... Man!!

NVBlue said:
If I get overcharged like Madtown Junkie, I will post a note to let you all know.

Hey, how 'bout posting a note to let us know even if you don't get overcharged -- that's almost more important. Everyone lets us know when stuff goes wrong! :D

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts