HDTivo: Trouble in Paredise ???

Status
Please reply by conversation.
AJF said:
I'm tired of hearing how there's not many posts on the DirecTV forums because they're all too busy enjoying their trouble free Tivo's:

http://www.tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb/showthread.php?s=&threadid=173688

Looks like trouble in paradise to me. :)

Trouble in paradise? Let's see, according to this poll http://www.tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb/showthread.php?s=&threadid=183203

81% of the people have no problems (54%) or aren't using it (27%), so yes, 19% have experienced a problem.

Is the box perfect, no way. But it's one hell of a lot better then the 921 is, even with being out 4 months earlier then the DirecTivo HD box.

Yes it's " a lot better then the 921 " unless you have or even plan to buy a tv with HDMI or DVI inputs and want to use them (which all tv's now have or will have in the future ) . Even worse; it sounds more like a hardware problem than a software problem which can be fixed with an update.

I would sat that 81% is a pretty high number and trying to translate that number to 19% is something only a politician would do .

It sounds like the 921 owners aren't the only ones with problems now. I was starting to think that cutting edge was a problem on Dish only. :p

well lets consider a few things the 921 came out back in dec 03 since then we've learned that ota tuner dosent work well ,timers wont work at times . some units just plain die not to mention no production for many months (caused me to switch to d*) more software mishaps than actually work .and the most famous thing is the firewire diaster .now as for the hd tivo the HDMI card appears to not work for some people or fail with time as crappy as this is its minor compaired to the whole unit crapping out

beast37799 said:
... as for the hd tivo the HDMI card appears to not work for some people or fail with time as crappy as this is its minor compaired to the whole unit crapping out

If the only connection to your monitor is HDMI/DVI then this is a BIG problem. There's also been reported hard drive failures and of course the missing logo's. But I agree, compared to the 921 this has been a fairly clean release.

I'd like to ask this question, which box do you think would pass the wife test, the 921 or the HR10-250? I know the 811 was enough or a problem with the wife that it's one of the reasons for leaving E*. I hve the HR10-250 and the wife has no problems with it. How may 921 owners have no problems with the wife running them (can you go out of town for a few days and she doesn't call with a question/problem)? Just curious.

Here's the point of this thread:
There has been constant sniping on the Dish forum's from those who have an HDTivo and feel they need to constantly remind us that the 921 is a piece of junk and the Tivo in flawless ( amazing how many of these people are EX-Dish customers). That tivocommunity thread says otherwise.

And again, that seems to be a hardware problem, the Dish problems are software which are being addressed with updates. And the most troubling part is that you don't know if your HDMI port will die today, next week or a year from now.

AJF said:
I would sat that 81% is a pretty high number and trying to translate that number to 19% is something only a politician would do .

Actually, you're both wrong. As of now, there are 318 total votes. However, 92 do not use DVI/HDMI connection, so that leaves 226 eligible users. Of those 226 users, 171 have had no problems with the output. So, the correct percentage is 76% with no problem.

Granted, 24% is a fairly high failure rate. But, it ain't the end of the world. I am also assuming that Hughes is replacing the defective units, or will once the problem is identified and corrected?

AJF said:
There has been constant sniping on the Dish forum's from those who have an HDTivo and feel they need to constantly remind us that the 921 is a piece of junk...

I'm glad that you've recognized that fact. It was you that started this thread so we could do it again. ;)

I don't think that anyone will say that the HR10-250 is perfect, but I think that you'd have to agree that it's one hell of a lot better then the 921 is. Besides having less problems it also is easier to get one this early in it's life. Folks are even reporting that they can walk into a big box store and grab one off the shelf, can you find a 921 a Sears on the shelf?

I'm sorry that you and the rest of the E* folks have to put up with hardware like the 921 but as long as folks keep buying E* hardware E* had no reason to do a better job of QA and will continue to put of boxes that should spend another year in the lab, IMHO.

Looks like that percentage is going up. Let's not forget that it could happen at any time too. And what about those that aren't using the HDMI now but may want to in the future?

rad,
If you're so happy with your HDTivo, why don't you move on with your life as has been suggested to you on other threads? Why are you still so obsessed with E* even though you are a DirecTV customer now, it's like you can't seem to let go ?
I've had cars that have given me nothing but problems, but when I finally got rid of them, I didn't keep hanging around the dealership complaining about what crappy cars they make, I bought another brand car and moved on.

AJF, you came into the DirecTV forum, into the DirecTV DVR forum to start a thread who's main purpose was try to bash the HR10-250, I didn't go into another forum to start a thread to bash the 921. I sorry that you felt that you had to come here to try to stir the pot to try to make the HR10-250 look as bad as the 921, which by the way has had it's own hardware problem which caused a stoppage for how many months or did you convently forget that about that problem.

rad,
The moderator moved this thread to the DirecTV forum which I was NOT happy about because I knew it would be perceived as you have just stated.

Again, the purpose was to show that the 921 is not alone in having problems. Also, it seems that the problems with the 921 are much more openly discussed, and openly critized by HDTivo converts like yourself, yet this HDTivo problem has been going on for months with little mention on this forum.

rad said:
AJF, you came into the DirecTV forum, into the DirecTV DVR forum to start a thread who's main purpose was try to bash the HR10-250, I didn't go into another forum to start a thread to bash the 921.

Let's say I DID start this thread in the Direct forum, you're saying that it's okay that you come into the Dish forum and bash us but it's okay since you never STARTED a thread to do so.

AGAIN, this thread was to report the FACT that the HDTivo has what I would consider a major hardware problem. When Dish had a hardware problem they stopped production till they fixed it.

AJF said:
rad,
The moderator moved this thread to the DirecTV forum which I was NOT happy about because I knew it would be perceived as you have just stated.

Again, the purpose was to show that the 921 is not alone in having problems. Also, it seems that the problems with the 921 are much more openly discussed, and openly critized by HDTivo converts like yourself, yet this HDTivo problem has been going on for months with little mention on this forum.

AFJ, sorry, I was not aware that it was moved here by the mods.

I think that it's not that folks are tyring to hide problems but that when it comes to Tivo related items that the www.tivocommunity.com site get's the majority of the traffic. This problem is being discussed over there. In fact it was a problem with the HDMI port that caused the delay just before the box was supposed to ship. Now how big a problem this really is, I'm not sure. There are 55 responses in the poll saying folks have had the problem but out of how many units I wonder. The ValueElectronics preorder list alone shows that just that one site has shipped 299 boxes so far (according to my count give or take), which would come close to what the poll is showing. But then throw in the hundreds of boxes that CC has shipped plus who knows how many other I think the number is much lower of folks having problems.

AJF said:
Let's say I DID start this thread in the Direct forum, you're saying that it's okay that you come into the Dish forum and bash us but it's okay since you never STARTED a thread to do so.

AGAIN, this thread was to report the FACT that the HDTivo has what I would consider a major hardware problem. When Dish had a hardware problem they stopped production till they fixed it.

AJF, if someone put up a post asking for an opinion of something, and I've had experience or have some input on that question then I will respond. If the response is taken as a bash of E* then so be it. I'm sorry but I feel strongly about how they run their business, telling their customers one thing and then doing something different. About marketing hardware that they advertise as being able to do something but then shipping something that doesn't do what they said. Shipping hardware that even the most ardent E* support says ususally won't work well for the first year until they get all the fixes out. If you don't like my responses then just please ignore them.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)