HDTV and DISH

NitrousGT

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
May 19, 2006
I just purchased a Samsung 61" 1080P HDTV. Is it worth it to get the Bronze HD Package for $49.99 that limits to under 100 channels or get the regular promotion for the Dish 120 package which currently is $29.99 is it worth the extra $20 for the HD Package, and also are the local channels in HD or just the MOVIE channels?

THanks

Yeah DISH HD Rocks and it looks like they will be adding more on the 1st week of June.

Are the local channels in HD also? I live in Dumfries, VA 22026. I currently use cable but i heard for the HDTV dish is definately better. I was looking at the site and it seems like only the movie packages are in HD and not soo many of the channels in Bronze or Silver.

Go for the platinum pack with locals. It is cheaper in the long run and you can get all your movie channels- including hd showtime and hd Hbo, hd channels including hd locals- if available , and no dvr fees. It is cheaper than the gold pack in the long run. The bronze pack is really just the basic cable pack with the basic hd channels. The way Dish has it worked out now they push you to the higher programming pack or you pay about the same in needless extra fees. Which would you rather have? More channels or more fees?

Well the Platinum is $99 it offers 25 HD channels, but the SILVER is $59.99 and offers 23 HD channels. the only difference i see on their site is that the Platinum offers movie channels and more regular channels. dont need all those. I guess thats $40 extra for those other channels. are the local channels in HD also?

In Dumfries, you will get ABC, CBS, NBC and FOX in HD out of D.C.

The 23 HD channels in the silver package do not include HBO or Showtime in HD.

Thanks for the advice JH and Mike. If i buy my own HD box, will that make a difference? Is that a wise move?

That is up to you whether you own or lease. I perfer Owning. I own both of my 622s . I got them by trading in my older receivers to the dishdepot.com . Mark gave me $200.00 trade-in value for both of my 942s. That was because I was on the pre order list for the 622s. He wouldn't do that now for a 942 because it is not worth that much now. He does trade - ins for the other dish receivers. The best part about it is he charges no TAX if you live outside of Florida. THe price of the 622 dropped down to $499.00 .

OF course if you lease you don't have to worry about being screwed like Dish did with the 942 receivers. With the lease plan Dish charges a $6.00 a month lease fee. I don't pay that when I own. With the lease deal it is like $299.00 for first time customer and it is $99.00 for a trade in for the 921 or 942 receiver if you are a current customer.

You can always sell your old receivers on E-Bay if you don't do a trade in to Mark at the dishdepot or if you do own instead of lease. I have personaly always owned my receivers and done the trade in route. In the end it is your choice.

well it seems like the owning is a good option because you save the extra $6 a month and also it says that i have to pay a 49.99 fee if i want the HDTV receiver instead of the regular reciever and it has to be an 18months contract. So right now, the newest and greatest HD receiver is the 622? is that what i look for?

I'd do the lease. Your upgrade fee for the 211 receiver (HD but not DVR) is only $49. That is much less expensive than purchasing it.

Starz HD to launch on May 31st! There's another HD movie channel for you. That is in addition to HBO HD, Showtime HD, Universal Pictures HD, HDNet Movies, and TNT HD which plays some movies.

So it seems like everyone is recommending the HD Plaitnum package for $99.99 along with the basic local channels, its a bit more channels that i want but at least i will save in the long run.

i just upgraded from regular dishnetwork to a vip211 and the bronze package w/ locals. i have more hd channels than a friend of mine w/ time warner cable and i will pay less per month. i mainly went with dishhd because of espn2hd. i hear nflhd, hgtvhd, and nat geographichd will be added soon, but i'm not sure if i will receive them on the bronze package or not. but, like some others said, the bigger packages are probably a better deal, especially if you watch a lot of movies.

brg606 said:
i hear nflhd, hgtvhd, and nat geographichd will be added soon, but i'm not sure if i will receive them on the bronze package or not. but, like some others said, the bigger packages are probably a better deal, especially if you watch a lot of movies.

Since DISH moved to just one HD package, customers subscribing to any of the metallic HD packages will receive any new HD channel additions. So when NFL Network HD, HGTV HD, and others are added you will receive them in the Bronze package.

The only exception is the premium movie channels in HD. To receive those you must subscribe to that movie package seperately or subscribe to DishHD Platinum.

thanks ice, that's good to know. at this rate, dishnetworkhd will absolutely blow away cabld hd by year's end.

you hear so many bitching and moaning about everything on these boards, but i for one am happy with dishhd.

i retract my last statement. my wife called me at work to tell me the effin vip211 is freezing up. i told her to just turn it off and i will deal with it when i get home.

If you lease, you have an indefinate warranty, if you own you get a year. I would rather lease as I did my 310 as it went bad after a year and I was mailed a new unit the same week and it only took 2 days to get it.
You just pack up the old unit, put it in the box and put the prepaid ups label on and take it to a shipping depot.
Can;t get anybetter than that.

If you OWN your box there is no extra monthly fee for the receiver, right? I am asking this because I currently LEASE one 622 and one 522, which together are hooked up to four TVs. I'm thinking of buying one 322 for $150 from Dishstore.net and hooking up a total of six TVs. If I do this my monthly bill should stay exactly the same, correct? And I could probably hook up the new 322 box myself saving Dish from making an installation trip and also saving me $$$, right? If this is the case (if my monthly total remains the same), I think I'll be buying a 322 really soon! Anyone care to clear this up?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)