HDTV Antenna

Kru83

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Oct 22, 2006
New Jersey
i have dish local from philly, i was hopping to get this antenna to get my some local channel from atlantic city...and some may be local from philly so i can stop paying dish 5 dollars a month for local most of the stations our under 60 miles i checked on antena web, i found this antenna on Antenna Direct.. i was told by my co-worker that i should also get Pre-Amp ? can someone tell me where i can get Pre-Amp ???

here is the antenna i am getting.
DB8.
Antennas Direct | DB8 Long Range Multidirectional HD Antenna
http://www.antennasdirect.com/DB8_HD_Antenna.html

Channel Master 4228 or Antennas Direct XG91 would be a getter choice of antennas.

As for the pre-amp, first you need to look at nearby transmitters. If you put a high dB pre-amp on your antenna and there are full power transmitters within 10-15 miles of you, you may over load your tuner and you end up with no signal at all. Alternatively, Winegard makes the HDP-269 pre-amp that is designed for urban settings (originally came with their Square Shooter). It has a 12 dB gain but very high overload tolerance. I use one with a 900+ kW transmitter within 3 miles of my house with no overloading at all.

If you have no nearby transmitters buy a low noise pre-amp like the Channel Master 7777. Winegard also makes one, but I do not know the model number.

4228 is quite directional. As good as it si it may not be best in this application.

4228 is quite directional. As good as it si it may not be best in this application.

DB8 also, despite the manufacturers claim that it is multidirectional. The CM4228 is a better antenna than the DB8 for less money.
But without the OP's zip code this whole discussion is not very helpful.

Kru83 - what is your zip code?

DB8 also, despite the manufacturers claim that it is multidirectional. The CM4228 is a better antenna than the DB8 for less money.

08201,, the main channel i am trying to get is nbc channel 40 from wildwood. cause that channel is not part of philly DMA.

Actually a DB 4 which is omni-directional would be the best bet for you. Note: If you get an antenna up and working, the only way to get a program guide on E* is to subscribe to the locals. If you don't subscribe to the locals you WILL NOT get a program guide of any of the OTA (channels you get from the antenna) HD channels.

Actually a DB 4 which is omni-directional would be the best bet for you. Note: If you get an antenna up and working, the only way to get a program guide on E* is to subscribe to the locals. If you don't subscribe to the locals you WILL NOT get a program guide of any of the OTA (channels you get from the antenna) HD channels.

The DB4 does not have the gain of the CM4228 or the DB8 and MAY not be enough antenna. And if a DB4 works, you are better off getting a CM4221 which is a better antenna at a much lower price.
And as for the DB4 being "omnidirectional", that's only in the minds of the manufacturer. "Multidirectional" maybe. It's still directional to a great extent but has a wider beamwidth than the CM4228/DB8 just because it's smaller - it's basically half a DB8. Here's the DB4 polar diagram Channel Master 4221 and here's the CM4221 Channel Master 4221

For comparison, here's the DB8 Channel Master 4221 and the CM4228 Channel Master 4221

and for completeness, the 91XG Channel Master 4221

You can see how the more powerful antennas have narrower beamwidth - the two go together. Realistically the CM4228/DB8 etc can receive stations in about a 15-20 degree arc without losing too much signal. The CM4221/DB4 it's about 40-50 degrees, but you won't get the weaker stations that the larger antennas may receive. But if you are in a strong multipath environment (reflections from buildings, trees, even hills) the narrower the beamwidth the better.

ther are others on the market. My only point is that everyone dvises it for every situation and it may not be right for some.