HDTV/computer monitor

Status
Please reply by conversation.

tech007

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Jul 14, 2006
California
Need an advice on a HDTV that would double as a computer monitor. Also I would like to have a picture in picture so I could see whats happening on TV while surfing the internet. Thanks for any advice.

Need an advice on a HDTV that would double as a computer monitor. Also I would like to have a picture in picture so I could see whats happening on TV while surfing the internet. Thanks for any advice.

Unless I am way off base here, I think just about any HDTV nowadays has an RGB input. This would be for computer hookups. But I think the big thing is to find a good video card for your computer first. You can easily hookup a HDTV to a computer, but the screen resolution is going to be fuzzy unless you can get a card that can pump out enough lines of resolution for the monitor. PIP shouldn't be a problem, again as most new HDTV's will have PIP capability across any combination of inputs.

I have an ATI Radeon 512MB card (can't remember the model number) that has a DVI out, but it will not process standard computer desktop scenes via DVI to HDMI for an "HD-quality image". In other words, it doesn't look any better than S-Video off the same card. But if you are outputting an HD signal from the computer, the HD will carry onto the HD monitor through DVI.

I know this doesn't necessarily answer your question, but hopefully can help you find answers with this additional info. Good luck and please post any successes/failures you might have so we can all learn more...

Yeah thats why I am thinking if I buy that new HD TV I probably need to buy a new computer as you said with a good video card. I dont know much about those cards but I would guess any new top of the line computer would have a proper video card.

I have a computer that is connected to a regular CRT 19 inch monitor and it works great. Once I hooked up same computer to a 15 inch flat screen TV the picture was pretty bad in fact it was worse than the one on my 15 inch laptop. Thats why I think not every HD TV will make a good computer monitor.

Component inputs?

Does anyone have an H20 hooked up to their PC? and if so, what connections did you use? Are there even any Vid cards with component inputs?

Thanks

Does anyone have an H20 hooked up to their PC? and if so, what connections did you use? Are there even any Vid cards with component inputs?

Thanks

I use Hauppauge WinTV-PVR-150 MCE Kit which uses the S-Video cable from an H20. No reasonable component ones out there that I am aware of. Video is not bad on my Windows Media Center and I also sling the video to my Xbox 360's that are networked. Its not pure HD but I also have a FusionHDTV capture card that does do OTA HD capture on the Media Center.

My kids mainly use this configuration since it gets them off my main DVR's. They can flip between TV's, go to any room, watch a DVD or go to the Media Center. I also use the Media Center for pictures and music since the speed and navigation blows away the HR20. I also use this configuration during football season as I watch a second game on an older SD TV. I have a Slingbox connected to the H20 as well so this configuration gets a good workout.

I use Hauppauge WinTV-PVR-150 MCE Kit which uses the S-Video cable from an H20. No reasonable component ones out there that I am aware of. Video is not bad on my Windows Media Center and I also sling the video to my Xbox 360's that are networked. Its not pure HD but I also have a FusionHDTV capture card that does do OTA HD capture on the Media Center.

My kids mainly use this configuration since it gets them off my main DVR's. They can flip between TV's, go to any room, watch a DVD or go to the Media Center. I also use the Media Center for pictures and music since the speed and navigation blows away the HR20. I also use this configuration during football season as I watch a second game on an older SD TV. I have a Slingbox connected to the H20 as well so this configuration gets a good workout.

Thanks. I pretty much have the exact set up as you. I also have the Hauppauge PVR150 but no MCE kit.

What is the difference between computer monitor and TV monitor? Stupid question but I would like to know.

What is the difference between computer monitor and TV monitor? Stupid question but I would like to know.

Computer monitors will not have a tuner (analog or digital). The tuner allows you to watch channels OTA or from a VCR. You could tune to a channel with NO receiver whatsoever. Computer monitors will have a DVI or sometimes a component input but most dont have HDCP copy protection. That is the issue with my ViewSonic. Its a great monitor with DVI input but the HR20's are pumping out HDCP compliancy now on the HDMI output so I have to use a component to VGA converter to use.

A newer TV can have just monitor features meaning no tuner but they will more than likely be HDCP compliant especially if made in the past 3-4 years. There really isnt that much difference between the 2 except the tuner and HDCP compliancy.

Dell 2405W doesn't have HDCP support but works fine with HR20-700 using HDMI-DVI cable.

Its been on and off with my Viewsonic. It worked for the longest time and then the past few CE releases pop that protection message. I finally gave up so I just use the component to VGA converter I have. I dont notice that much of a picture quality and it works better with my switch boxes.

i looked at sony bravia very expensive lcd tvs but very surprised they dont have picture in picture which doesnt make sense. is that just the "sony" thing?

There is new HDMI capture card on market. $300.
The big question is whether or not this card supports HDCP. I'm betting that it doesn't.

Here's the critical blurb from the Black Magic Intensity capture card:
Intensity Tech Specs said:
The HDMI standard sometimes includes copy protection encryption, such as commonly found on DVD players and some brands of set top boxes. When connected to these copy protected sources, the HDMI specification defines that Intensity cards cannot capture.

Its a great monitor with DVI input but the HR20's are pumping out HDCP compliancy now on the HDMI output so I have to use a component to VGA converter to use.
HDMI is not required for HDCP. All computer monitors that support HDCP are DVI.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts