HDTV in chicago?

Status
Please reply by conversation.

bp787

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Sep 7, 2004
I've been searching, but haven't found much on this: Is anyone in Chicago receiving HDTV feeds from NY/LA through D* now? I just wanted to confirm this before a friend of mine in chicago gets D*. I know that according to the press releases, anyone receiving the locals over satellit should also be able to get the HD feeds...

bp787 said:
I've been searching, but haven't found much on this: Is anyone in Chicago receiving HDTV feeds from NY/LA through D* now? I just wanted to confirm this before a friend of mine in chicago gets D*. I know that according to the press releases, anyone receiving the locals over satellit should also be able to get the HD feeds...

I get all the D* HD NYC feeds, but your milage may vary. It all depends on where in Chicago they live. If they are out in the far burbs they might have a problem with Rockford or Milwaukee stations claiming them as a grade B signal. I had to get waivers from the Milwaukee CBS, and NBC stations to get them (should have needed one for ABC also but it just showed up on it's own).

Getting all of them.

In addison here, just 20 miles from the loop and I get CBS, NBC, ABC, FOX in HD from Directv... Plus I get all the local digital from an OTA antenna.

If you are not getting the channels through D*, you have to call...There are other threads on this but if one Rep doesnt do it, call back and try another Rep. And yes, it depends on how far out you are from the city.

Hdtv from chii town

if you are in the chi dma, if you get locals from dtv from chicago you are eligible for all networks east coast past aurora and every else you should get them , i installed a h10 and 3 phase dish in waterman and they get all the networks in hd and they are so close to rockford dma.

yep. I just took care of it monday! i'm not in chicago, but I AM in the DMA. Fox, CBS, ABC, and NBC all out of NY. I am in northern, IN. They are, however, charging an extra fee. I don't care though. I get to take back my antenna ;)

hdtv in chicago

what antenna did you buy for use in northern indiana, they are still good because you can get pax, upn and wb from chicago, you cant get that in hd from directv yet!!

dodge said:
what antenna did you buy for use in northern indiana, they are still good because you can get pax, upn and wb from chicago, you cant get that in hd from directv yet!!

well, let me check....

I get UPN, PAX, and WB in standard def over satellite. i get NBC, CBS, FOX, ABC in HDTV over directv. I don't actually care about WB or UPN in HD. I hardly ever watch them.

I "moved" just outside the downtown area of Chicago & get all 4 NY HD nets fine - they all automatically came on when they D* put them up.

dishrich said:
I "moved" just outside the downtown area of Chicago & get all 4 NY HD nets fine - they all automatically came on when they D* put them up.

i had to call up and ask.

riggscm said:
I wonder if I should move also....

how much of a pain is it to "move"??

very easy. tell them you've already moved and just need to have your information changed i.e. address. don't worry about the billing address, you can change that back online.

then, if you don't get the NY/LA feeds, call back the next day and say you were told that you should be able to get these in HD.

I live near Grayslake, IL. I just called DirecTV and they say that I can get the CBS and FOX HD feeds out of New York, but the Chicago NBC and ABC stations do not allow DTV to allow me to view the NBC & ABC feeds out of New York.

Bummer. At least I have CBS & FOX HD now. Why did I have to call them and request it to receive the service??? Odd.

She said that by year-end a lot more stations will be available in HD.

KenK said:
I live near Grayslake, IL. I just called DirecTV and they say that I can get the CBS and FOX HD feeds out of New York, but the Chicago NBC and ABC stations do not allow DTV to allow me to view the NBC & ABC feeds out of New York.

Bummer. At least I have CBS & FOX HD now. Why did I have to call them and request it to receive the service??? Odd.

It's most likely because you're too close to the Milwaukee DMA. (you're in the grade B of their local channels) Just move down south some & you'd be able to get ALL 4 NY HD nets. ;) ;) ;

riggscm said:
would I get both NY and LA, or just NY?

Just NY

Also, will the nat'l feeds go away when Chicago HD LIL comes online later this year?

Most likely, since this O&O deal was most likely a temporary measure until D* gets the actual local HD channels up on the new birds.

bp787 said:
very easy. tell them you've already moved and just need to have your information changed i.e. address. don't worry about the billing address, you can change that back online.

What's wrong with just telling the CSR to KEEP the SAME address for the billing, instead of going through an extra step on-line??? :confused: :confused: ;) ;)

KenK, for NBC tell D* to submit a waiver request, which should be for WTMJ in Milwaukee. Then e-mail the engineer, Kent Aschenbrenner (kent@jurnalbroadcastgroup.com), tell him where you live and that you're looking for a waiver to get the WNBC-DT high def feed from NYC. I went that route and Kent was very nice about it and granted my waiver for down in Mundelein.

As for ABC, I don't know what it did but it showed up on its own where I should have needed a waiver, but I'm not complaining. As long as WLS-DT butchers their SD signal with the stretch I'm watching WABC-DT on D*.

Good luck.

dishrich said:
Most likely, since this O&O deal was most likely a temporary measure until D* gets the actual local HD channels up on the new birds.

well that will suck. I'm on the fringe of the spot beam. Snow, rain, etc... all cause me a bit of trouble at times on the chicago locals... :(
dishrich said:
What's wrong with just telling the CSR to KEEP the SAME address for the billing, instead of going through an extra step on-line??? :confused: :confused: ;) ;)

less suspicious! :) :cool:

bp787 said:
well that will suck. I'm on the fringe of the spot beam. Snow, rain, etc... all cause me a bit of trouble at times on the chicago locals... :(

That's easy to fix - just put up a larger dish f/101 & it'll work much better. Obviously I am MUCH more on the fringe of the Chicago spots than you are; I put up a 3' dish several months ago & now it stays locked in all but the heaviest rains.
Of course, I can't tell you about the new Ka birds, but I hope they get down here like the existing spots do. :) :)

less suspicious! :) :cool:

Well, if you say so, but it really doesn't make much difference - do you REALLY think the CSR gives a damm about your addresses... ;) ;)
I've done it my why for dozens of people & have NEVER had a problem with ANY of them.

dishrich said:
That's easy to fix - just put up a larger dish f/101 & it'll work much better. Obviously I am MUCH more on the fringe of the Chicago spots than you are; I put up a 3' dish several months ago & now it stays locked in all but the heaviest rains.
Of course, I can't tell you about the new Ka birds, but I hope they get down here like the existing spots do. :) :)

Well, if you say so, but it really doesn't make much difference - do you REALLY think the CSR gives a damm about your addresses... ;) ;)
I've done it my why for dozens of people & have NEVER had a problem with ANY of them.

oh... you think you're farther? Hmmmm... I'm actually 230 MI away. you're about 198 MI. I WIN! haha.

I just figure, it's easier to say "i've moved. here's my new addy." Then go change the billing online than to have to sit there and tell them I don't want my billing to be the same yadda yadda...

and I don't really feel like putting up a new dish. Besides, I get the NY feeds in HD. why would I watch anything else lol

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)