HDTV Mitsubishi 52525 doesn't format for my upconversion DVD Player

Status
Not open for further replies.

gater

Original poster
Dec 6, 2004
This may seem like a beginner question but I'm new to this HD stuff and I need help. I Can't make my Mitsubishi 52525 HDTV give me an aspect ratio format that matches my DVD player (Toshiba SD-5970 HDMI). The player upconverts to 720p, 1080i and 1024p. I know that the last is unavailable in DVD format but when I try to use the settings other that 480p on my player they stretch the picture. My TV has formats available that could maybe adjust for this but only allows 2 formats for the upconverted resolutions.
My questions are:
1. should my DVD player be formatting the picture differently or is this normal?
2. if it's normal, is there firmware or some other way that I can make the TV give me the other options at those resolutions.
3. Are the DVD's I'm using (standard) causing the problem - do I need to wait for HD DVD?
Any info about these resolutions and how they should be rendered on screen or how DVD's apply to the whole fiasco would be appreciated. I guess I need toutoring. Thanks.

I'll take a shot. I don't think your Mitsu can take 720P, so you set the output on your DVD player to 1080I with the digital connection (HDMI or DVI). Now your monitor is being feed 1080I which is HD. When your monitor is receiving HD material (remember HD also includes 16:9). the zoom etc options are of no use......the 1080I fills the screen. You can't zoom or stretch 16:9.
If your DVD's look stretched, that is happening in the DVD player. Make sure in the DVD players menu you have the video output on 16:9 (not letterbox or 4:3).

Barney

The 16:9 switcheroo worked. Thanks for answering my, what should have been something I figured out myself, question. I know there's always a learning curve with this kind of stuff but sheesh! A menu setting? Thanks again.

Great........now enjoy the new world of HD ;)
Also makesure in the DVD player for audio (bitstream for digital output) for audio to your sound system (optical or coax output).
Enjoy my friend!

Barney

Status
Not open for further replies.

ISF Calibration tour in Milwaukee

Home Theater Receivers: Get a cheap one or expensive one?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts