GEOSATpro HDVR3500 "Genuine Right Protect"

JSargeSter

Original poster
Feb 28, 2016
Florida
Ladies and Gentleman,

I have been a FTA hobbyist for years, however i took some time off from experimenting .. I am a D* technician (having an HSP account, i lost desire/need for messing with FTA)

I recently inherited a geosatpro hdvr3500 (current setup is a fixed 36" ODU peaked @ the AMC21 125W). However regardless of any setting, satellite, or channel, i receive a popup notice that states exactly "GENUINE RIGHT PROTECT". I spoke with an administrator and they said that it was an issue that can be fixed however usually they just replace the product because it is usually to much work for a 'typical' user to handle.

I work with linux on a day to day basis and have no issue using a diag/serial cable to dig into this thing and attempt a fix. Unfortunately i have no proof of purchase so warranty is a wash. I have no issues with attempting to fix this thing. If it gets bricked, its not the end of the world, im not out any money. If it could be a simple firmware flash or something, i can get it done but i have no leads as i cant find any information about the issue.

Any leads on a fix would be appreciated, regardless of how complicated one be feel it would be to explain. Your time is appreciated.

John

Ladies and Gentleman,

I have been a FTA hobbyist for years, however i took some time off from experimenting .. I am a D* technician (having an HSP account, i lost desire/need for messing with FTA)

I recently inherited a geosatpro hdvr3500 (current setup is a fixed 36" ODU peaked @ the AMC21 125W). However regardless of any setting, satellite, or channel, i receive a popup notice that states exactly "GENUINE RIGHT PROTECT". I spoke with an administrator and they said that it was an issue that can be fixed however usually they just replace the product because it is usually to much work for a 'typical' user to handle.

I work with linux on a day to day basis and have no issue using a diag/serial cable to dig into this thing and attempt a fix. Unfortunately i have no proof of purchase so warranty is a wash. I have no issues with attempting to fix this thing. If it gets bricked, its not the end of the world, im not out any money. If it could be a simple firmware flash or something, i can get it done but i have no leads as i cant find any information about the issue.

Any leads on a fix would be appreciated, regardless of how complicated one be feel it would be to explain. Your time is appreciated.

John

Wecome to Satellite Guys JSargeSter! There is a LONG thread on here about that box. It seemed very promising at first but things went downhill quickly with several issues cropping up regarding it's hardware and representation of capabilities. I don't recall that particular problem being mentioned in the thread but if you would like to find out more about what has transpired with the box read here: http://www.satelliteguys.us/xen/thr...-dvbs2-stb-photos-and-initial-testing.351697/
You might try contacting member SatelliteAV for more info as they imported the box for sale here in the US and have been working to make things right and correct issues. Good luck! :)

Last edited:
Welcome to SatGuys, JSargeSter!

I would try a firmware flash on it and see if that takes care of it. There have been issues too with the Parental Control on the HDVR3500, make sure the rating is set to 18 and not something else, it could be that. [Go in Menu, Settings, Parental Control.]

If neither of those things work, post in the thread that FTAPA posted a link for above and ask SatelliteAv [Eugene] for help, I believe he'll probably help you out. In that thread, he can tell you where you can download a new firmware too.

Fixing stuff on the HDVR3500 isn't as simple as connecting a serial cable or similar, or at least, I couldn't do it that way. I had to disassemble the firmware and do my fixes on it, then run it in a emulated environment, put it back together and re-flash it back into the unit. You can telnet into the unit and see whats what inside it though, if you want to see what you're dealing with.

I'd be interested in knowing what the issue is caused by, if you do find out.

There's an internal USB drive inside the HDVR3500 for recording, etc, you could try removing that, maybe that's gone bad, some members have had issues with the internal USB drive. [the unit will work without it.]

Great information guys. Check the parental settings. No cookie. I will telnet into it and see what it looks like. I myself also thought it had something to do with the internal drive. Actually at first thought it was HDCP or something along the lines of a high def issue.

Something else that is interesting is that if i tune to the channel i am interested in watching, then simply hard powercyle the box, it will take almost an hour for it to show up. However if i powercycle it, and then switch the channel promptly after its almost instant for it to show up. Then ofcourse once it pops up, it takes the hard cycle to get the ~hour of view time without it.

Great information guys. Check the parental settings. No cookie. I will telnet into it and see what it looks like. I myself also thought it had something to do with the internal drive. Actually at first thought it was HDCP or something along the lines of a high def issue.

Something else that is interesting is that if i tune to the channel i am interested in watching, then simply hard powercyle the box, it will take almost an hour for it to show up. However if i powercycle it, and then switch the channel promptly after its almost instant for it to show up. Then ofcourse once it pops up, it takes the hard cycle to get the ~hour of view time without it.

HDCP didn't occur to me, that does actually sound like a message that could be generated from an issue with that. Maybe try hooking the receiver up to the TV with the RC jack AV outputs instead of the HDMI and see if it stops. What brand and model # TV is it hooked to?

I'll post in the other thread and ask Eugene what he thinks may be causing it.

Ladies and Gentleman,

John
Dear John,

This error occurs due to wrong rom burn on the security chip. I will replace it for you. Please email me your serial number and your address and i will send you replacement with the fedex label to send yours back.

Email to eugene@satelliteav.com.

Thank you,
Eugene

Dear John,

This error occurs due to wrong rom burn on the security chip. I will replace it for you. Please email me your serial number and your address and i will send you replacement with the fedex label to send yours back.

Email to eugene@satelliteav.com.

Thank you,
Eugene

Sent an email. Thanks for your reply. However, for someone that is tech savy and has linux knowledge, is there a reflash that can be had to fix it without just replacing it?

Sent an email. Thanks for your reply. However, for someone that is tech savy and has linux knowledge, is there a reflash that can be had to fix it without just replacing it?
Got your email, will send you call tag and replacement. This is particular chip issue that can not be taken care of unless security chip is dealt with. Thanks for the heads up.

Reactions: . Raine
Just wanted to update everyone. We have eliminated this error. Please update your receiver by connecting it to internet (setup wifi in menu > settings > network settings).

Do the following: Menu > Manager > Version > Online Upgrade > connect and select Firmware from the drop down. If you have 1392 or later, you don't need to update.

Let me know if you need more help. We have excellent warranty service and commitment to your satisfaction.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)