Heard a rumor that Dish would offer TurboHD to existing customers

Threxx

Original poster
Jan 13, 2009
Memphis area
A guy I talk to from time to time that works at Dish corporate said it sounds like they may open up the all-HD TurboHD packages for existing customers.

This is great news to me because I'm looking to make cuts in my budget everywhere I can with the economy like it is and I realized that TurboHD Bronze + locals will cover 95% of my TV watching. Compared to the ~$90 per month + tax that I've been paying them the last 4 years, that sounds like a great way to save money.

Just wanted to check here to see if anyone else had heard anything similar. I did a search but it didn't come up with any current results.

By the way this is off topic but when I was searching around I read a reply by somebody that sounded like they really knew their stuff and they were saying the first receiver is generally free to lease. Did he mean most people don't pay the $7 per month leased receiver fee that I do for my 2 year old 622 or was he just talking about the up front price being free?

edit: gee... what intelligent board software... it automatically enters tags for me and yet it adds 7 tags when its own limit is 5. LOL

Yes, the offer to current subs is real, and has been discussed here.

Unless History International goes HD, and maybe a few others, I could not move to any HD only pkg.

Yes the TurboHD packages become available to all customers on February 1st. Unfortunately its the same day that the rates go up on these packages.

By the way this is off topic but when I was searching around I read a reply by somebody that sounded like they really knew their stuff and they were saying the first receiver is generally free to lease. Did he mean most people don't pay the $7 per month leased receiver fee that I do for my 2 year old 622 or was he just talking about the up front price being free?

There is no lease fee for the first leased receiver. See this link and scroll down to Leased Receiver Fees:

DISH Network - Customer Service - 1.888.825.2557

I emailed "ceo" and they switched me to DDA TurboHD Gold over the email. It took maybe 2 or three emails to figure out what package I wanted and then I received an email that it was "done".

I have heard though that if you have older SD receivers, "ceo" may ask you to upgrade first ... which makes sense as the TurboHD packages are HD only. All I have is a 722. I have been with Dish for about 18 months now.

The current price for DDA TurboHD Bronze is $34.99. Come Feb 09 it is $39.99.

(DDA is Dish DVR Advantage which includes your locals, RSNs and 1st DVR fee.)

There is no lease fee for the first leased receiver. See this link and scroll down to Leased Receiver Fees:

Thanks for that info... I called them up armed with that info and the CSR said she thought that was normal since I had an HD receiver. I stuck to my guns and quoted the page and she said she'd check with her supervisor. 10 minutes later she gets back on and says he said back when I signed up the leased receiver fee was normal but since it's not anymore he's going to take it off. I asked about getting a retroactive credit back to the point where it most other people weren't paying it but she said that wasn't possible and really it was just the plan I signed up under and the supervisor was doing me a favor by removing it.

Ah well... I guess I'll just wait until February 1 and reorganize the entire bill anyway at which point I probably would have gotten that 7 dollars adjusted regardless.

I emailed "ceo" and they switched me to DDA TurboHD Gold over the email. It took maybe 2 or three emails to figure out what package I wanted and then I received an email that it was "done".

I have heard though that if you have older SD receivers, "ceo" may ask you to upgrade first ... which makes sense as the TurboHD packages are HD only. All I have is a 722. I have been with Dish for about 18 months now.

The current price for DDA TurboHD Bronze is $34.99. Come Feb 09 it is $39.99.

(DDA is Dish DVR Advantage which includes your locals, RSNs and 1st DVR fee.)

How much are you currently paying for DDA TurboHD Gold and how much will it be Feb. 1st?

What is "DDA"?

I thought TurboHD Bronze was $25 + $5 for locals. If it goes up 5 more dollars that's still livable.

edit... I just realized maybe it means Dish DVR advantage? If so, $10 more for DVR doesn't seem like much of an 'advantage'? Maybe that also includes locals so really it's only $5 more for the DVR?

Right now: $49.99
Come Feb 09: $59.99

The DDA TurboHD Silver and DDA TurboHD Gold are getting a $10 bump. The DDA TurboHD Bronze is only getting a $5 bump.

Due to the fact that I changed now though, I will at least enjoy the $10 savings until the price kicks in.

What is "DDA"?

I thought TurboHD Bronze was $25 + $5 for locals. If it goes up 5 more dollars that's still livable.

edit... I just realized maybe it means Dish DVR advantage? If so, $10 more for DVR doesn't seem like much of an 'advantage'? Maybe that also includes locals so really it's only $5 more for the DVR?

You are right ... the DDA is no longer much of an advantage ... Dish has chopped the "advantage" down to $0.98 :mad:

I'm so confused... where are these prices coming from? Dish's website says 25 for Bronze, 32 for silver, etc.

The main thread about the upcoming prices is here.

This post however has the main pictures of the old and new prices. Click on the individual pictures for the details.

Bronze + Platinum + Locals may work for me. And it'd be about the same as I'm paying now that I don't have the premiums.

This is the channel I miss the most since going to HD only. Any info on if/when there will be a HD version?

I haven't found any. Maybe my googling needs help. Their FAQ/Contact us wizard is a joke. No real way to send them an inquiry about when/if they have plans to go HD. I suspect this means 2010 at the very earliest.

Same for the military channel.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)