Hearst, now Cox Media

Status
Please reply by conversation.
A record ?
A record for what ?

Contracts are up when ever they are up.

Perhaps he meant a record number of stations could be pulled if both of these contracts do not get renewed in time. I have no idea if that is actually true. I stand to lose 4 locals from this..
ABC 5 WCVB Boston (Hearst)
ABC 9 WMUR Manchester (NH) (Hearst)
Fox 25 WFXT Boston (Cox)
NBC 31 WNNE Hartford (VT) (Hearst, but I get their identical sister station OTA)

I have other ABC, Fox, and NBC stations on Directv, but most people who live in the 2 markets do not. Like I said in another thread, I am hoping they all go away for 1 day so I could potentially add to my DNS, but January 1 is an important sports day for the masses who wouldn't benefit from these channels disappearing.

A record ?
A record for what ?

Contracts are up when ever they are up.

Cool down jimbo..I can't recall the last time DirecTV had two large media companies that own quite a few stations, not just one or two. If it happens, it will affect quite a few people. Sure contracts are up and Direct seems to re-up them with little fanfare but to have two disputes at the same time is unusual for them. I stand by my story from earlier, expect more of this affecting both providers. jimbo you have the right to your opinion, but I don't have time to defend myself. Go take a deep breath and try not to insult me or other members of this site!

Reactions: navychop
Perhaps he meant a record number of stations could be pulled if both of these contracts do not get renewed in time. I have no idea if that is actually true. I stand to lose 4 locals from this..
ABC 5 WCVB Boston (Hearst)
ABC 9 WMUR Manchester (NH) (Hearst)
Fox 25 WFXT Boston (Cox)
NBC 31 WNNE Hartford (VT) (Hearst, but I get their identical sister station OTA)

I have other ABC, Fox, and NBC stations on Directv, but most people who live in the 2 markets do not. Like I said in another thread, I am hoping they all go away for 1 day so I could potentially add to my DNS, but January 1 is an important sports day for the masses who wouldn't benefit from these channels disappearing.
I didn't know such things are kept as in how many channels could get pulled record ....
Who cares IF a record number is up, like I said before, contracts are up when they are up.

Cool down jimbo..I can't recall the last time DirecTV had two large media companies that own quite a few stations, not just one or two. If it happens, it will affect quite a few people. Sure contracts are up and Direct seems to re-up them with little fanfare but to have two disputes at the same time is unusual for them. I stand by my story from earlier, expect more of this affecting both providers. jimbo you have the right to your opinion, but I don't have time to defend myself. Go take a deep breath and try not to insult me or other members of this site!
Insult ?

Do you remember a small little company called VIACOM ?
What was that 30 channels or something like it.

I can't see these going dark. Again, as I said in the other thread, losing both ABC and FOX would be bad for Directv (at least in Boston), but with NBC launching their own O&O in the same DMA, on the same day, that's plenty of viewers watching them, WBZ or the soon to be independent WHDH for local news, which could hurt them in the long run. WFXT's news has taken a dip in ratings, as it is, since Cox took ownership and changed the format. This would be a dumb move by Cox and Hearst.

In the Fort Smith, Arkansas market we lost ABC 40 & 29 and CW 41. Not a big loss for now for us. I'm tired of these locals blaming DIRECTV or Dish. The local programming does not need to increase in fees every couple of years.

I am hearing from my Facebook homeowners page that NFL Sunday Ticket is also out. Could this be right or even part of this dispute?

Edit: Reading elsewhere, seems that if the local station is not broadcasting to DirecTV and it also feeds NFL Sunday Ticket, that will be out too.

Last edited:
Sunday Ticket only includes out-of-market games. Games airing on a local channel in your market must be viewed on the local channel, and the Sunday Ticket channel is blacked out.
That has been the process for years, and is not an impact of this dispute.

It is more noticeable with this dispute as the local station is off Directv.

Reactions: lazydogmot
Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts