Hearst Television and Dish Dispute/Negotiations

NBC 6 New Orleans is gone.

In the info it says. " wdsu has blocked your access to this channel. For more info visit dishvaluepledge.com or call Joel Vilmensy at 504 679 0600.

There is a video playing telling how the broadcasters want too much money AND to call congress and tell them to change the outdated tv rules.

Last edited:
WLWT Cincinnati Gone. Now showing a video about rates and to call congress and the FCC to change the rebroadcast rules

What really pisses me off is that they removed the EPG from the OTA channel.

All this mess is exactly why Dish is supporting Aereo.

If Aereo wins, Dish and all the providers will heavily consider whether to pay the extortion to the stations or use the broadcast loophole that Aereo may have found.

now how do we record ota on the Hopper? I have the ota module. I'm getting sick of these disputes!!!! Yeah each provider has them but it seems Dish has more than anyone else and I'm tired of them now..maybe time for free stuff or switch to DTV and pay a little more

This is what WBAL-TV (NBC) in Baltimore has on their site:

"It appears that DISH does not have a problem with the rates we are seeking," noted Dan Joerres, President and General Manager of WBAL-TV. "But the DISH negotiating team is seeking other terms that we don't have in our deals with any other cable or satellite distributor or telco, nor do we have them in our current deal with DISH. Frankly, we are scratching our heads as to why DISH would hold their own customers and our viewers hostage for terms that are radically off-market."

I called this morning and was immediately offered a deal to appease me. I rejected the offer and provided my own solution that actually would resolve the issue for me and prevent this issue with any other local channel in the future. In the end, and it took a bit of convincing, my solution prevailed.

Posting specifics is something I don't want to get into, being as though everyone's account is different, but I Suggest to think outside the box and seek an actual solution. While a credit on my bill is always nice, it does not being my channel back.

Posted Via The FREE SatelliteGuys Reader App!

Last edited:
Funny, because from KETV.com in Omaha:

“It appears that DISH does not have a problem with the rates we are seeking,” noted Ariel Roblin. “But the DISH negotiating team is seeking other terms that we don’t have in our deals with any other cable or satellite distributor or telco, nor do we have them in our current deal with DISH. Frankly, we are scratching our heads as to why DISH would hold their own customers and our viewers hostage for terms that are radically off-market.”

Interesting that two different people said the exact same thing...:D

“It appears that DISH does not have a problem with the rates we are seeking,” noted Ariel Roblin. “But the DISH negotiating team is seeking other terms that we don’t have in our deals with any other cable or satellite distributor or telco, nor do we have them in our current deal with DISH. Frankly, we are scratching our heads as to why DISH would hold their own customers and our viewers hostage for terms that are radically off-market.”

KCCI manager Brian Sather also noted that.

KCCI manager Brian Sather also noted that.
Either great minds think alike or the Hearst PR machine is at work.

WLWT Cincinnati Gone. Now showing a video about rates and to call congress and the FCC to change the rebroadcast rules

What really pisses me off is that they removed the EPG from the OTA channel.
I saw this last as I get a few Cincinnati channels (UHF ones only) via OTA.

Dish doesn't "remove" the guide data for the OTA channels, well, at least for the "-01" channel. They copy the guide data from the satellite feed to the "-01" channel. So conveniently, in the case of a dispute like this, they can, IMO, "punish" their viewers who have a workaround. That workaround goes against what Dish wants and that is, to have access to the channel gone or at least crippled.

Unbelievable how many disputes Dish has with content providers but yet their costs aren't any cheaper than Directv. The only difference between Dish and Directv is the HWS (and I suppose less full time HD channels). Just no compelling reason to chose one provider over another anymore.

I wonder if Dish is holding out for streaming rights?

As I saw an article (in the Washington Post?) recently about the decline of local news (with local news and local weather being about the only valid reason for locals to exist), perhaps Hearst is blissfully unaware of its fragility. Ain't a "must have" by any stretch.
Watch what happens when local channels go away, either here or on the station's Facebook pages - viewers can live with losing Nickelodean, Disney, AMC, etc, but when it comes to "local", they're much more vocal and unforgiving !

I saw this last as I get a few Cincinnati channels (UHF ones only) via OTA.

Dish doesn't "remove" the guide data for the OTA channels, well, at least for the "-01" channel. They copy the guide data from the satellite feed to the "-01" channel. So conveniently, in the case of a dispute like this, they can, IMO, "punish" their viewers who have a workaround. That workaround goes against what Dish wants and that is, to have access to the channel gone or at least crippled.
Of course. Dish is "only thinking about the viewers", but has no problem pulling the EPG info. Those of us with OTA reception can't even use PSIP data. But Dish is "looking out for the viewers". BOTH sides have a PR machine. BOTH sides can be unreasonable.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 2)