Hopper with Sling- Bluetooth Headsets

Spike

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Feb 11, 2005
Suburbs of Milwaukee
Is there a list some place for which Bluetooth Headsets the Hopper with Sing is capable of pairing with, or does it pair with "most any of them?"

Thank you, Scott,

I'm getting a wireless Bluetooth Gaming headset, and thought I would purchase one that is compatible with the Hopper, while I was at it. I'm going with the Turtle Beach PX4.

Thank you, Scott,

I'm getting a wireless Bluetooth Gaming headset, and thought I would purchase one that is compatible with the Hopper, while I was at it. I'm going with the Turtle Beach PX4.

I don't think that one is Bluetooth.

It has Bluetooth but not in the way he wants it to work. I received a Turtle Beach XP400 Dolby 5.1 headset as a gift a couple years ago. The Bluetooth is there for use as a chat headset on PS3. It can also be paired with a cellphone at the same time so you can answer phone calls while you are playing without removing the headset. Most Turtle Beach headsets don't come with A2DP support for stereo audio over bluetooth. I paired mine to my iPhone and it only works for phone calls. There is no way to play music over bluetooth to the Turtle Beach headset.

The game audio itself is not transmitted via bluetooth though. The headset comes with a small audio processor/wireless transmitter. It is powered by USB from a console and it gets it's audio from an optical port. I suppose you could still use a Turtlebeach as a wireless headphone setup for a hopper but you would have to connect an optical cable from the hopper to the wireless transmitter. It would not work as a bluetooth headset with the hopper.

When I upgraded to the Super Joey the Installer that I knew from living a block over from me brought a pair with him and asked if I wanted to buy a pair through Dish and price was $100 and I said no but they sounded and worked great plus fitted real nice over my ears at the time and he said if I changed my mind tell him and he will bring a pair on by I said ok and he also said I can call Dish and buy it and they will ship it to me. Scott have you seen and tried them on what Dish sells and what do you think of them? Thanks for your help!! :)

Last edited:
When I upgraded to the Super Joey the Installer that I knew from living a block over from me brought a pair with him and asked if I wanted to buy a pair through Dish and price was $100 and I said no but they sounded and worked great plus fitted real nice over my ears at the time and he said if I changed my mind tell him and he will bring a pair on by I said ok and he also said I can call Dish and buy it and they will ship it to me. Scott have you seen and tried them on what Dish sells and what do you think of them? Thanks for your help!! :)

Did you notice the brand and model number the Dish technician had with him?

You realize that the Super Joey doesn't have a Bluetooth adapter don't you. You'd have to use them with the Hopper.

It has Bluetooth but not in the way he wants it to work. I received a Turtle Beach XP400 Dolby 5.1 headset as a gift a couple years ago. The Bluetooth is there for use as a chat headset on PS3. It can also be paired with a cellphone at the same time so you can answer phone calls while you are playing without removing the headset. Most Turtle Beach headsets don't come with A2DP support for stereo audio over bluetooth. I paired mine to my iPhone and it only works for phone calls. There is no way to play music over bluetooth to the Turtle Beach headset.

The game audio itself is not transmitted via bluetooth though. The headset comes with a small audio processor/wireless transmitter. It is powered by USB from a console and it gets it's audio from an optical port. I suppose you could still use a Turtlebeach as a wireless headphone setup for a hopper but you would have to connect an optical cable from the hopper to the wireless transmitter. It would not work as a bluetooth headset with the hopper.

UGH, well. Here is what the PX4's website says about it's Bluetooth Capabilities. "Dual-Pairing Bluetooth Brings Calls & Gaming Together
Take advantage of Bluetooth to answer mobile phone calls without ever leaving the game. Or pair the PX4 with any Bluetooth communication device, such as a PC, laptop or tablet."

I also phoned tech support before purchasing the PX4. They said that I could link the headset to many different Bluetooth devices, but it would only communicate with two at a time. At this point, I'm not really sure what it will do. But one thing is for sure. The headset will be here by the end of the day. It will be interesting to see what capabilities it will have. I'll post what I find out concerning it's Bluetooth capabilities with the Hopper.

EDIT: I think this is an important phrase that I did not understand from the Turtle Beach Website, " Bluetooth communication device." It most likely won't work with music or broadcast audio of any kind, I'm thinking.

:D

Last edited:
I received the Headset yesterday. The only way to connect it to the Hopper is to run an optical cable into the transmitter. Then the Transmitter will broadcast the audio to the Headset via the NON bluetooth signal it sends out.

What I did was run all of my components into my television by way of HDMI cables, Then I ran an optical cable out of the TV to a 4x2 switch. I ran one of the 2 output optical cables to the transmitter and the other one to the sound bar that I have. That way everything that I have is transmitted to my headset as well as the sound bar. Next, I'm going to try to connect my Ooma bluetooth up to the headset to see if I can have my home phone answered through my headset. I rarely use my cell phone, since I am disabled and don't go out much.

I may end up purchasing a separate headset just for watching Dish Network, Apple TV, etc. But, for now this works adequately.

I received the Headset yesterday. The only way to connect it to the Hopper is to run an optical cable into the transmitter. Then the Transmitter will broadcast the audio to the Headset via the NON bluetooth signal it sends out.

What I did was run all of my components into my television by way of HDMI cables, Then I ran an optical cable out of the TV to a 4x2 switch. I ran one of the 2 output optical cables to the transmitter and the other one to the sound bar that I have. That way everything that I have is transmitted to my headset as well as the sound bar. Next, I'm going to try to connect my Ooma bluetooth up to the headset to see if I can have my home phone answered through my headset. I rarely use my cell phone, since I am disabled and don't go out much.

I may end up purchasing a separate headset just for watching Dish Network, Apple TV, etc. But, for now this works adequately.

Yeah, unfortunately I didn't see your earlier post in time because I knew that's exactly how this would work. The Turtle Beach doesn't have A2DP so it can't be used as a bluetooth headset with the hopper. The bluetooth is only used for game chat and phone calls.

On the plus side your setup probably gives you better audio quality than a bluetooth headset would. The transmitter uses a proprietary WiFi signal to get the hopper audio sent to your headset. It also supports Dolby Digital 5.1 positional audio. In theory you should be able to watch movies on your hopper and hear directional audio that you wouldn't be able to get with a stereo bluetooth headset. In reality that kind of works but not as well as a traditional 5.1 speaker setup.

Like I said, I received my Turtle Beach headset as a gift a couple years ago. I never use it because my Onkyo AVR and 5.1 speaker setup blows it out of the water for immersive game audio coming from all directions. Before I moved into my own house it was nice for playing at night when other people were sleeping. This allowed me to play at the louder volumes I'm used to without disturbing other people. Now, that I live alone I have no use for this headset, which is a shame because it cost over $200 when they bought it for me and it is a quality product.

Last edited:
http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00AVLOHJ8/?tag=satell01-20

I use a pair of these for listing to music and hearing the prompts from a distance training program while running. I bought them for a couple of reasons. First, I had to get rid of the wire. I like tucking the phone away in a sleeve and forgetting about it while I'm running. A wire bouncing around and getting caught on my arm causes distractions I don't need when I start feeling like I can't make it. These headphones have 5 buttons on the right ear. It takes a bit of time to memorize which buttons go to which functions but now I can easily turn the volume up or down, skip forward or back, and pause and play without pulling my phone out or breaking my stride. I can also push the play/pause button to answer a call.

Second, I hate earbuds. Prior to buying these bluetooth headphones I was running with the Apple earbuds that came with my iPhone. It's just uncomfortable to me to have something inside my ear for any extended period of time. The main reason I ended up with this off brand set of headphones is because there just aren't many options for lightweight bluetooth headphones that don't go inside your ear.

With the low price point and no-name brand I figured that I would be lucky to make it through the summer with these headphones. To my surprise they have held up well even with all the bouncing and sweating that comes with running 3 or 4 times a week for about a year now. They are still going strong and the battery life seems pretty good. If they die on me or the battery life starts to give out I would have no problem buying another pair for $23.

These definitely aren't audiophile headphones but my guess is that doesn't really exist for bluetooth headphones. The sound is good enough for my purposes. Definitely not bad, but not amazing either. I have a nice pair of Phillips Fidelio wired headphones for less strenuous activities like cutting the grass or playing a Playstation Vita game/watching a movie while flying. The sound is much better than this bluetooth headset but they cost many times more money too.

Last edited:
I know what you mean about a 5.1 or 7.1 speaker system. Prior to my disability, I had all of my gaming equipment set up with a 118" screen for video and 5.1 surround through an Emotiva Amp. You want to talk about power and true emersion, WHOA! That was it. I can no longer do the stairs to enjoy that kind of experience, so my system is now dramatically downsized. But, hey... It is still a lot of fun. I will probably send the PX4 back and look into getting some simple ear buds to work with the Dish Network Hopper. I've got a wired triton headset that I think is better for gaming.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)