Hearst Television and Dish Dispute/Negotiations

I've said this for a couple of years.... That is, when it became clear how Dish copies the guide data from the satellite channel to the "-01" OTA channel.

Complain to Dish about this and they will claim that they don't provide the guide data for OTA channels which is a flat-out lie.

I saw this last as I get a few Cincinnati channels (UHF ones only) via OTA.

Dish doesn't "remove" the guide data for the OTA channels, well, at least for the "-01" channel. They copy the guide data from the satellite feed to the "-01" channel. So conveniently, in the case of a dispute like this, they can, IMO, "punish" their viewers who have a workaround. That workaround goes against what Dish wants and that is, to have access to the channel gone or at least crippled.
They need to provide the data to the OTA channels independently of the satellite channel, as they do for some OTA sub-channels already.

It would actually help their cause, and sow customer sympathy and loyalty, by facilitating an alternative to the LiL channels that cause so much turmoil for them.

This was just posted on WBAL-TV's Facebook page:

"DISH and Hearst Television have come to an agreement after a short outage. WBAL-TV 11 is available on DISH with no further disruption of service."

I agree. For the "-02" and up channels, they do. I'd like to hear the reason that the "-01" channel is done differently. I say it's a business reason, not a technical reason.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk

Hello, we are pleased to announce that DISH and Hearst Television have reached a multi-year agreement and the channels will be restored by 11 AM MT.

I still think Dish should provide PSIP data for OTA as an option.

Sent from my iPhone using SatelliteGuys

Of course. Dish is "only thinking about the viewers", but has no problem pulling the EPG info. Those of us with OTA reception can't even use PSIP data. But Dish is "looking out for the viewers". BOTH sides have a PR machine. BOTH sides can be unreasonable.

From Scott in another thread
"From what I understand Program listings are copyrighted by the stations. If DISH does not carry the station they can not carry the listings. It does not matter if Tribune has the listings or not. DISH can not re distribute the stations copyrighted work without the stations permit.

Now as far as why do the DISH receivers not read the PSIP data, if Guide Data is not available is a different question to which I don't have the answer to. "

If that was the reason, Dish is in violation by providing the sub-channel guide data (during disputes). If, during a dispute, all of the guide data, for the -01, -02, and so on channels went away, it would be much, much more believable.

Never heard that before.... DVR fee is just that, a fee for being able to record. I've never had a non-DVR receiver with Dish - what fees come with a 211, for example ?

It was part of the separate locals fee years ago. If you didn't subscribe to Dish locals you didn't get guide info. Now the locals fee is merged into the main package prices.

I do not believe the copyright excuse for one millisecond.

I would have to agree. How would the local paper or TiVo be able to provide guide data without a deal with the station if it was a copyright issue?

I suspect that it is just part of Dish's channel delivery system that guide data gets automatically added with channel carriage, and to redo the system to send guide data for channels during a temporary dispute would be too much work. They would have to reprogram it to send OTA only instead of both OTA and Dish. Dish receivers may have OTA capability, but that is not a Dish profit center.

Dish receivers may have OTA capability, but that is not a Dish profit center.

It is for me! It is one of the few things that keep me tied firmly to Dish. I like Dish and its service, but the monthly charge is getting to the point of a car payment. Having a reliable OTA and Satellite receiver in one box is an anchor-point for me. I can replace most of the programming I get from Dish via other means. The convenience factor is almost worth the price. Take that convenience away and then cutting the cord completely becomes a viable option.

If that was the reason, Dish is in violation by providing the sub-channel guide data (during disputes). If, during a dispute, all of the guide data, for the -01, -02, and so on channels went away, it would be much, much more believable.
Usually sub channels are syndicated stations such as This TV, Antenna TV, RTV etc...) they have an agreement with those channels to use the guide data since those programmers own the copyright to the schedule not the individual tv station.

I would have to agree. How would the local paper or TiVo be able to provide guide data without a deal with the station if it was a copyright issue?
I believe it, was told it by a few people at DISH and also a few others at TV stations.

Tivo does not have any programming contracts, so they can buy the data from Tribune, while in the programming contracts it states that the guide data is the stations property (or so I have been told)

I bet Tivo pays more for Guide data then DISH does.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 2)