Hearst Television Inc. blacks out DISH customers in 26 markets

I remember years ago when when we lost Blue Bloods for six weeks due to negotiation talks. We have been through this with many networks and talk about upset we were very upset. Enough was enough!!! We live in a valley on a mountain with no chance of an outside antenna working! We tried. Finally we also purchased Direct TV. On Dish Network we had everything so we pulled half our programming from Dish and put that half on Direct. Locals on both. Problem solved. We now have the best of both worlds with no fear unless one day both satellite companies negotiate the same channels at the same time. Dish lost money and Direct gained money and we are very happy with the result. I only wish everyone would do this.

Congrats on your first post ............... in 11 years!! :)

That's one way to handle it I do wonder how much more you end up paying. If you (meaning you or whoever) can't get OTA but have cable available they should have a starter package with only locals, including the government channels etc. I believe they are still mandated to make that available but may not advertise it and generally you have to call. At one time was called a life-line package but I think that has morphed into a low income program. Two examples;
https://www.timewarnercable.com/en/...t-is-time-warner-cables-basic-tv-service.html
https://www.xfinity.com/support/cable-tv/difference-between-limited-basic-and-expanded-basic-cable/

Reactions: jamesjimcie
Even if they could add the data to the Dish receivers, PSIP Data gives about few hours of info at best. It doesn't go a week out like Dish pays to have done. So, I'm assuming that the next complaint (should your proposal be possible) would be "I can't set my DVR to record Thursday Night's episode of Chicago Street Sweeping (that's next in the series) until Thursday Afternoon." The whole system is broken. This has been the case for a long time. Two cooperate headaches having a peeing contest and using the viewer as bait. Do you think that fixing the (explative) guide info will solve this ongoing issue in the industry?
Well, you're the first person who's posted they'd rather have no guide data instead of some. You do know you CAN program a series to record even if it's not currently in the guide, right? It would also help those who get subchannels that Dish doesn't carry guide data from. And no, I don't believe "fixing" the guide issue will take care of everything. I think it would show Dish does actually care about what their customers think.

Reactions: osu1991
I have a ton of OTA and subchannels that don't even have PSIP, so there would still be complaints, and the provider would somehow get the brunt of those complaints. Can't win.

Both the Baltimore and Lancaster NBC stations were taken down by Hearst so I had to reorient the antenna to pick up WCAU (NBC10) from Philly. Then had to reprogram a bunch of timers to use OTA Channel 10 instead of the local NBC. This also affects the PTAT. I had to remove NBC from PTAT so that I didn't get a bunch of recordings of the take-down video. If this lasts for awhile, I may have to "move" to Philly just for convenience.

I have a ton of OTA and subchannels that don't even have PSIP, so there would still be complaints, and the provider would somehow get the brunt of those complaints. Can't win.
Just to clarify, are you using a television to look at the guide data for those subchannels and the station isn't putting any out? Why not contact the broadcaster and ask them why they're not sending any?

Just to clarify, are you using a television to look at the guide data for those subchannels and the station isn't putting any out? Why not contact the broadcaster and ask them why they're not sending any?
Yes, my local Buzzr affiliate, and all the subchannels is one of them. The CBS main channel has PSIP, but their subchannels do not. That's just off the top of my head.

Sure, I could contact the stations, but my point is, the average user won't know to contact the station directly and just blame the provider, as they usually do.

Both the Baltimore and Lancaster NBC stations were taken down by Hearst so I had to reorient the antenna to pick up WCAU (NBC10) from Philly. Then had to reprogram a bunch of timers to use OTA Channel 10 instead of the local NBC. This also affects the PTAT. I had to remove NBC from PTAT so that I didn't get a bunch of recordings of the take-down video. If this lasts for awhile, I may have to "move" to Philly just for convenience.

My local cable offers Baltimore and Philly stations in addition to the Lancaster/Harrisburg ones.
I haven't been able to find a zip code that allows Dish to offer the same thing - have you had any luck in finding one?

My local cable offers Baltimore and Philly stations in addition to the Lancaster/Harrisburg ones.
I haven't been able to find a zip code that allows Dish to offer the same thing - have you had any luck in finding one?
No I haven't. I live in Cecil County and am about 45 miles from Baltimore and Philly. I can pick up both OTA. Dish does not seem to do significantly viewed channels.
https://transition.fcc.gov/mb/significantviewedstations041916.pdf
Federal Communications Commission
Significantly Viewed TV Stations List

Cecil
WMAR-TV, 2, Baltimore, MD
WBAL-TV, 11, Baltimore, MD
WJZ-TV, 13, Baltimore, MD
WNUV, 54, Baltimore, MD
KYW-TV, 3, Philadelphia, PA
WPVI-TV, 6, Philadelphia, PA (formerly WFIL)
WCAU, 10, Philadelphia, PA
WGAL, 8, Lancaster, PA

Yes, my local Buzzr affiliate, and all the subchannels is one of them. The CBS main channel has PSIP, but their subchannels do not. That's just off the top of my head.

Sure, I could contact the stations, but my point is, the average user won't know to contact the station directly and just blame the provider, as they usually do.
OK. I still feel Dish would help their subscribers by offering PSIP guide data when they don't have guide data from Titan (or Rovi or wherever). Yes, it won't solve 100% of the issues, but should we not solve any because we can't solve all?

Yes, it won't solve 100% of the issues, but should we not solve any because we can't solve all?
If an attempt to solve a problem, especially partially, creates even more confusion, then yes, it would be more detrimental than doing nothing at all.

Reactions: The Fat Man
I lost my NBC in this dispute and my NBC isn't recording in the PTAT. I didn't remove it so you should have been OK leaving it active..

Well, you're the first person who's posted they'd rather have no guide data instead of some. You do know you CAN program a series to record even if it's not currently in the guide, right? It would also help those who get subchannels that Dish doesn't carry guide data from. And no, I don't believe "fixing" the guide issue will take care of everything. I think it would show Dish does actually care about what their customers think.

Please reread what I wrote. I did not imply that I don't want guide data. But, I'm quite the crafty feller who can find info from more than one source.

I am well aware of how to record. However, take the situation with my wife. She knows what shows she likes, but the downside of PTAT is that she can't tell me what night each show is on. She looks in PTAT, sees Last Man on Earth or one of the four Chicago shows, and watches. She could not be bothered to search through the guide to find a particular show, if she only had a three hour window to do so.

Fixing guide data leading to customers viewing Dish as caring about what they think? I can think of 20 more productive ways of Dish showing their customers that they care, which include, but are not limited to lowering DVR and Joey rates, offering promotions to affected customers (which they have done to those who ask), knocking off a slice of the customers' bills, free PPV Coupons, and so on. Offering three hours guide data is at the bottom of the "we care for you" list...in my opinion. They want me to feel cared for, $10.00 a month ÷ 5 main networks (yes, I will include The CW) is a nice $2.00 discount that I will take. That gets me two extra at $1.00 beer night! They charge $10.00 a month for local programming, so give me the the money that it cost for me to carry these nets. How about that? Guide data? I'll just learn to use that fancy new internet thing those young kids are talking about, to get my guide data! I'm just glad I have OTA capability.

No I haven't. I live in Cecil County and am about 45 miles from Baltimore and Philly. I can pick up both OTA. Dish does not seem to do significantly viewed channels.
https://transition.fcc.gov/mb/significantviewedstations041916.pdf
Federal Communications Commission
Significantly Viewed TV Stations List

Cecil
WMAR-TV, 2, Baltimore, MD
WBAL-TV, 11, Baltimore, MD
WJZ-TV, 13, Baltimore, MD
WNUV, 54, Baltimore, MD
KYW-TV, 3, Philadelphia, PA
WPVI-TV, 6, Philadelphia, PA (formerly WFIL)
WCAU, 10, Philadelphia, PA
WGAL, 8, Lancaster, PA
I'm in Anne Arundel county and when I first signed up with dish I received Baltimore and Washington but after disputes lost the dc stations now I only receive Baltimore but with this dispute last wbal I could easily pick up wbal on an ota but I don't have the adapter and won't really care that it's gone until NFL season comes around again

[QUOTE="chipmaster, post: 4039574, member: 35292" We live in a valley on a mountain with no chance of an outside antenna working! We tried. .[/QUOTE]

Same boat here! It's either cable or satellite and to make matters worse our income doesn't keep pace with the increases.

Milwaukee's ABC is affected, but we have an outdoor antennae facing Madison, for variety's sake, and just transferred recordings for one channel to the other.

"AlaJoe said: ?
What receiver do you have They told me the OTA dongles for the hopper were sold out and to look on Ebay or amazon"

When we purchased the hopper w/ built in sling I wanted the OTA dongle because we had it for the older receiver/dvr but wasn't transferable. Dish told us, also, that they were sold out but recomended DISHSTORE.COM (I believe) and they fixed us up.

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 2)

Latest posts