Hearst Television Inc. blacks out DISH customers in 26 markets

Finally we also purchased Direct TV. On Dish Network we had everything so we pulled half our programming from Dish and put that half on Direct. Locals on both. Problem solved. We now have the best of both worlds with no fear unless one day both satellite companies negotiate the same channels at the same time. Dish lost money and Direct gained money and we are very happy with the result. I only wish everyone would do this.
How much does that run you? Which channels are you missing from both having lower packages with each?
I don't know about chipmaster, but for me it currently only costs about $30 per month to have both. I have Flex Pack with Dish for $29.99 per month. (No locals but I can easily add them when needed) On Directv, I am still using up the credit balance left over from the credits they gave me after I closed my account and accepted their win-back offer. At only around $9.99 per month for the Select package with a standard-def receiver (price-locked for one year) it will still be several months before I use up the credit balance and actually owe Directv anything. :)

What about my second question? How do you "pull half the programming from Dish and put that half on Direct"? Even if you go to lower packages with each service, you'll have a lot of duplication in channels and a lot of channels that are not subscribed on either service.

What about my second question? How do you "pull half the programming from Dish and put that half on Direct"? Even if you go to lower packages with each service, you'll have a lot of duplication in channels and a lot of channels that are not subscribed on either service.
and two boxes for each TV to pay for.

Reactions: jamesjimcie
Hearst, Dish Don't Appear to Be Negotiating
Hearst appeared to signal Tuesday that it was not currently in talks with Dish over their carriage impasse, while TVFreedom—the group pushing back on the American Television Alliance, which represents MVPDs on the issue of retrans impasses—well, pushed back.

In a note from Hearst general managers to viewers posted on station websites, Hearst said that “Our negotiating team has been ready and available around-the-clock to engage in substantive negotiations with DISH Network," suggesting they were not being employed at the moment. A Hearst spokesperson would not comment on the talks or who had the latest offer on the table.

http://www.broadcastingcable.com/news/washington/hearst-dish-dont-appear-be-negotiating/163891

Hearst, Dish Don't Appear to Be Negotiating
Hearst appeared to signal Tuesday that it was not currently in talks with Dish over their carriage impasse, while TVFreedom—the group pushing back on the American Television Alliance, which represents MVPDs on the issue of retrans impasses—well, pushed back.

In a note from Hearst general managers to viewers posted on station websites, Hearst said that “Our negotiating team has been ready and available around-the-clock to engage in substantive negotiations with DISH Network," suggesting they were not being employed at the moment. A Hearst spokesperson would not comment on the talks or who had the latest offer on the table.

http://www.broadcastingcable.com/news/washington/hearst-dish-dont-appear-be-negotiating/163891
Glad I ordered an OTA dongle yesterday.

Dish and Hearst dig in for what looks like protracted retrans battle
The five-day-old blackout on Dish Network of 33 Hearst TV network affiliates in 26 markets might not be ending soon.

Hearst released a statement to its viewers Tuesday, indicating the two sides aren’t even at the bargaining table for a new broadcast retransmission licensing deal.

“Our negotiating team has been ready and available around-the-clock to engage in substantive negotiations with Dish Network," Hearst said on its station websites. (Hat tip to Multichannel News for being the first to notice this.)

http://www.fiercecable.com/cable/dish-and-hearst-dig-for-what-looks-like-protracted-retrans-battle

I would like DISH to tell Hearst that DISH is moving on without their channels and let the chips fall where they may. Tell them the price is just too high with everyone bleeding subscribers. If they can come back with something DISH can live with we can negotiate at that time.

DISH needs to push the timing of these shutdowns until SUMMER when most are not watching TV. Hearst is losing a ton of MONEY

On my 622 I notice on my OTA 5.1 ABC now says no info and ABC 5.2 is showing Titles in time slots. DISH channel 5 shows the KOCO removed ABC 5.

And now 5.1 (KOCO) is showing "No Info" for large blocks instead of blocks saying it is removed, like on 5.0
They're making it harder to use the OTA recording.

I agree, Dish needs to either tell them to get bent, or give us the option to opt out. And guide data should be available OTA!!!

DISH needs to push the timing of these shutdowns until SUMMER when most are not watching TV. Hearst is losing a ton of MONEY
That's something else that gets thrown out a lot around here. I wonder how much locals really do lose during these blackouts. It's very possible if it's a diary market, provided the person with the diary doesn't have Dish, ratings may not change at all. I don't know how large the sample size is in diary nor metered markets.

Another "out of the box" thought is I think Dish could offer viewing patterns (as captured by their boxes) in exchange for a lower retrans rate.

On my 622 I notice on my OTA 5.1 ABC now says "no info" in large Blocks. ABC 5.2 is showing Titles in time slots. DISH channel 5 shows the KOCO removed ABC 5.

YES, they're making it harder to record the OTA channel. Not sure if dish or network causing this?

I was not able to set a timer on the GUIDE TIME slot for Designated survivor. Had to actually set a manual timer to record it.

Last edited:
OTA guide info is now back for WVTM 13 in Birmingham, yesterday it was just full of the "such and such removed NBC13" message, so, good on Dish for working on fixing the guide issue for OTA customers.
This is great news for me I live in the market and I ordered an OTA dongle yesterday

OTA guide info is now back for WVTM 13 in Birmingham, yesterday it was just full of the "such and such removed NBC13" message, so, good on Dish for working on fixing the guide issue for OTA customers.
Sounds like what happened with Tribune stations. Expectations were that the dispute was going to last a long time so Dish got the guide data back.

Sounds like what happened with Tribune stations. Expectations were that the dispute was going to last a long time so Dish got the guide data back.

I had forgotten about that.... And the guide data is back for the Hearst channel in Tampa, WMOR.

WVTM 13 is shooting themselves in the foot. They are loosing money on ads big time. NBC is playing them for fools. I have been streaming the shows that I am missing from the NBC website.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 2)