Hearst Television Inc. blacks out DISH customers in 26 markets

It all ties together. Choosing your channels, choosing your market, choosing what to pay for without having to throw the baby out with the bath water when prices are out of control.

You opened the door with the "willing to pay" comment. There is no free market, there is no real choice. Big bundle or nothing. The "market" is a bear, but the prices are still bull.

As to re-transmission of OTA broadcasts, I relate this to the software shareware market of the late 90's. The Shareware was available for free if you had a way to obtain it. Many entrepreneurs would bundle multiple different software packages onto a single CD and sell it for ~$10, none of the money would go back to the Shareware developer BUT the situation benefited the Shareware developer because a wider distribution occurred with the potential for additional sales. To me the same goes for OTA broadcasts being re-transmitted by cable/satellite providers, they are picking up an essentially free product and providing it to a wider audience resulting in the OTA broadcaster having a larger audience with the attendant higher advertising revenues. It costs the OTA nothing to have the signal re-broadcast to a wider audience.

Does anyone else read this thread and think of the SciFi HD thread from some time back that went on forever and ever? Not criticizing the discussion, just suffering from deja vu.

Sent from my iPad using SatelliteGuys

So - while it doesn't impact me directly, yet, I assume how this works out will have some impact, eventually, on all of us who rely on Dish for OTA reception. So what's the current prediction for when this will be resolved.

Reactions: jamesjimcie
Even with Football, the majority of Hearst Station's are ABC affiliates. Some are with NBC, if I'm correct. For the ABC affiliates, the only games impacted are the Monday Night games that are carried on ESPN and are broadcasted to locals within the playing teams markets. For the NBC affiliates, it's obviously the Sunday Night games and the half season with the Thursday Night simulcast.

Reactions: jamesjimcie
Even with Football, the majority of Hearst Station's are ABC affiliates. Some are with NBC, if I'm correct. For the ABC affiliates, the only games impacted are the Monday Night games that are carried on ESPN and are broadcasted to locals within the playing teams markets. For the NBC affiliates, it's obviously the Sunday Night games and the half season with the Thursday Night simulcast.

That's NFL, ABC is a critical need during college football season though, both through nationally televised ABC games, and in my area they locally air ACC games including Pitt... If they don't have this worked out by college football I'll be investigating if I can make some type of antenna setup work (thus far we have only missed Designated Survivor and Modern Family, and I've been able to stream those via the ABC app on my Apple TV...)

Reactions: jamesjimcie and AZ.
My Hearst station is nbc so when football season starts I'll be screwed

Reactions: The Fat Man
Are you able to get OTA? Just curious.
Yes, dish even sent me the free antenna but I don't have the usb tuner so I cannot record the shows I guess soon enough I'll have to bite the bullet and get it, I actually can pick up two full dma's ota and half of a 3rd ota but with my job I have to record most primetime tv. Plus I often watch Sunday night football on nbc at work

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 2)