Heat's Riley: Heavy level of interest on Allen Iverson

salsadancer7

SatelliteGuys Master
Original poster
Jun 1, 2004
South Florida
Question is, WHO would the Heat have to give up for IA...and what does Wade and Shaq have to say?

By Tim Reynolds
ASSOCIATED PRESS

7:56 p.m. December 13, 2006

MIAMI – Count the Miami Heat among those interested in seeing what it would take to obtain Allen Iverson from the Philadelphia 76ers.

Heat coach and president Pat Riley said Wednesday night that he has a “level of interest” in Iverson, a four-time NBA scoring champion whom the 76ers are trying to trade, although it's unknown if Miami is actually involved in any serious talks with Philadelphia about making a deal.

“I would be delinquent in my responsibilities if I wasn't interested in Allen Iverson,” Riley said. “That's all I'm going to say. I'm not going to comment any more. It's like when Shaquille came out there. I was frothing at the mouth. So my level of interest can be gauged on that comment.”

Riley pulled off a blockbuster deal in the summer of 2004, when he obtained Shaquille O'Neal from the Los Angeles Lakers in exchange for Caron Butler, Lamar Odom and Brian Grant, plus a draft pick.

If this trade somehow worked out, it would classify as another huge move for the Heat – who won the NBA title last season, but are off to a 9-12 start this year after losing 99-89 to Phoenix on Wednesday. And there's some in the Miami locker room paying close attention to all the Iverson trade talk.

“He's that guy in the NBA,” said Heat forward James Posey – who could be included in any deal that sends Iverson to South Florida. “He's that All-Star who can fill up arenas and things like that. Everybody pays attention to that, and until it ends, everybody's going to stay tuned because everybody wants to know where he's going, what team's going to make that move.”

Several deals have been rumored, but apparently nothing has worked to satisfy either Iverson – who requested a trade last week – or the 76ers.

“They're playing the field,” Riley said. “That's what they should do.”

good question because you know shaq and dwade aren't going any where!!

The rumor is Dorell Wright, Antoine Walker and a #1 draft choice. Though I would HATE to see Dorell go...damn that kid is talented and has the same skills as young, green Koby Bryant....but there would be NO WAY the Heat could be stopped if they had a backcourt of Iverson AND Wade. Potencial to be THE BEST backcourt of all time. But again, it all depends on a couple of things:

1. Can Iverson go BACK to playing the 1 spot?
2. Can he and will he be able to deal will the famous Riley practices?
3. Can he behave in the city with the BIGGEST distraction in the NBA....South
Beach?
4. Can he deal with the fact that this is WADE'S team and not his?

Damn that's alot of CAN HEs?

The rumor is Dorell Wright, Antoine Walker and a #1 draft choice. Though I would HATE to see Dorell go...damn that kid is talented and has the same skills as young, green Koby Bryant....but there would be NO WAY the Heat could be stopped if they had a backcourt of Iverson AND Wade. Potencial to be THE BEST backcourt of all time. But again, it all depends on a couple of things:

1. Can Iverson go BACK to playing the 1 spot?
2. Can he and will he be able to deal will the famous Riley practices?
3. Can he behave in the city with the BIGGEST distraction in the NBA....South
Beach?
4. Can he deal with the fact that this is WADE'S team and not his?

Damn that's alot of CAN HEs?

I would love to see AI there, but unless he changes his attitude he'll hurt the Heat more than help them.

Not enough basketballs on the court for Wade , Shaq, and Iverson, to play together. Iverson is not interested in playing point, funny thing is that when he does, he's great at it.

Not enough basketballs on the court for Wade , Shaq, and Iverson, to play together. Iverson is not interested in playing point, funny thing is that when he does, he's great at it.

That's what I say...being that I have been a 76ers fan sine the Lionel Hollins, Bobby Jones, Daryl Dawkins, Dr. J and George McGinnis.....LOL...telling my age?
Anyway...I am sure that someone will have a little talk to him if he EVER was traded to the Heat. AND, I am sure....Shaq would NOT allow him to disrupt his chances at another Champsionship.

Shaq WOULD take AI these days even with Wade in place, he wants to win CHAMPIONSHIPS - PERIOD! I also really think Wade would too, but I am not sure what AI would think; does winning mean more to him than being "the man"? Payton might also get a bit uneasy, but he got his ring and is now about 90yo. LOL! He is still good for his age, but he knows he is better as the MIA backup these days and has the proof on his finger the Riley knows best!.

AI can easily play either the 1 or 2 guard to Wades opposite. Issue is AI's size vs most other 2 guards; not good!

To show how doable the MIA trade can be, use the ESPN trade tool. It has all the built-in trade rules, restrictions and contract clauses of the players. I got an approved PHI to MIA trade by sending AI and his $17,184,375 - 3yr contract; for J-Will's $8,250,000 - 2yr and Posey's $6,392,100 - 1yr contracts. Not that PHI would take that, but its that easy. You could swap out Walker for Posey, BUT that is a 5yr year contract and additional $1,214,720 onto the PHI payroll for two players that might not be that much better than the other overall. 50/50 I guess on those two. The 5yrs left on Walker's deal hurts. GM's LOVE expiring contracts to clear cap room for free agents. You could also toss in a draft pick to make J-Will and Posey look like a good package, especially since Greg Oden will likely be the #1 overall pick and PHI would like to be in that hunt.

Last edited:
Shaq WOULD take AI these days even with Wade in place, he wants to win CHAMPIONSHIPS - PERIOD! I also really think Wade would too, but I am not sure what AI would think; does winning mean more to him than being "the man"? Payton might also get a bit uneasy, but he got his ring and is now about 90yo. LOL! He is still good for his age, but he knows he is better as the MIA backup these days and has the proof on his finger the Riley knows best!.

AI can easily play either the 1 or 2 guard to Wades opposite. Issue is AI's size vs most other 2 guards; not good!

To show how doable the MIA trade can be, use the ESPN trade tool. It has all the built-in trade rules, restrictions and contract clauses of the players. I got an approved PHI to MIA trade by sending AI and his $17,184,375 - 3yr contract; for J-Will's $8,250,000 - 2yr and Posey's $6,392,100 - 1yr contracts. Not that PHI would take that, but its that easy. You could swap out Walker for Posey, BUT that is a 5yr year contract and additional $1,214,720 onto the PHI payroll for two players that might not be that much better than the other overall. 50/50 I guess on those two. The 5yrs left on Walker's deal hurts. GM's LOVE expiring contracts to clear cap room for free agents. You could also toss in a draft pick to make J-Will and Posey look like a good package, especially since Greg Oden will likely be the #1 overall pick and PHI would like to be in that hunt.

From MY sources(I still have them from my old days in Chicago working in sports media), the trade will HAVE TO include Dorrell Wright AND a #1 draft pick. It will, IF IT WERE TO HAPPEN, probably include Posey and Jason Williams.

Well when you start getting to 3 players or more, the roster on the incoming side MIGHT have to be cut and thats were it gets ugly. This can be avoided only if a third team (or more) becomes involved. If I remember right, a team can only carry 12 active and 3 inactive on their 15 man roster.

Adding Wright to the above deal still stays within the acceptable guidelines I think. I don't know if Riley would give away 3 players and a top draft pick; but who knows. I would love to see AI in MIA.

From MY sources(I still have them from my old days in Chicago working in sports media), the trade will HAVE TO include Dorrell Wright AND a #1 draft pick. It will, IF IT WERE TO HAPPEN, probably include Posey and Jason Williams.

The problem trading AI is his contract. He is going to make $17.1 million this year alone. He also has 2 additional years remaining. The problem Miami has is under the CBA a team over the cap can only make a trade taking more than 125% of the money more of contracts before the trade. So to take AI and team will have to trade no less than around $13.8 million. To do the trade, they probably would have to trade James Posey, Jason Williams, Dorrell Wright, and a draft pick for Allen Iverson, Bobby Jones, and Ivan Mcfarline.

I think it could be something that might happen if Riley actually thinks he could deal with AI. From what I been noticing about the deals Philly has offered they are looking mainly for quick cap space. This deal would work because Posey's contract expires this season, and Jason William's expires at the end of next season.

Allen Iverson $17.18 million
Bobby Jones $412,718
Ivan McFarlin $412,718

Jason Williams $8.25 million
James Posey $6.39 million
Dorell Wright $1.32 million

They could also put Antoine Walker's contract in there instead of William's because although his contract is 6 years long, I believe it is not guaranteed after next season.

The problem trading AI is his contract. He is going to make $17.1 million this year alone. He also has 2 additional years remaining. The problem Miami has is under the CBA a team over the cap can only make a trade taking more than 125% of the money more of contracts before the trade. So to take AI and team will have to trade no less than around $13.8 million. To do the trade, they probably would have to trade James Posey, Jason Williams, Dorrell Wright, and a draft pick for Allen Iverson, Bobby Jones, and Ivan Mcfarline.

I think it could be something that might happen if Riley actually thinks he could deal with AI. From what I been noticing about the deals Philly has offered they are looking mainly for quick cap space. This deal would work because Posey's contract expires this season, and Jason William's expires at the end of next season.

Allen Iverson $17.18 million
Bobby Jones $412,718
Ivan McFarlin $412,718

Jason Williams $8.25 million
James Posey $6.39 million
Dorell Wright $1.32 million

They could also put Antoine Walker's contract in there instead of William's because although his contract is 6 years long, I believe it is not guaranteed after next season.

Now what I am hearing from my source...is that Dorrel Wright is out of the picture and now they want Adonis Haslem, Antione Walker and the Heats #1 pick.

OUCH!, NO WAY! They really are trying to make sure they don't let AI go to another eastern opponent. I am now wondering if DEN or MIN are their desires plans to keep him out of the east?

I MIGHT see J-Will, Walker and the #1 pick but not Udonis Haslem, Walker and the #1, that would be CRAZY to me.

Iverson is a thug and a cancer. Always has been. Ever since his bowling alley brawl down the street here in high school. What happened to Larry Brown as soon as he was free of Iverson? He won a championship with the Pistons. I do not see how a ball hog taking 50 shots a game and making 15 of them is going to help any good team hoping to go all the way.

OUCH!, NO WAY! They really are trying to make sure they don't let AI go to another eastern opponent. I am now wondering if DEN or MIN are their desires plans to keep him out of the east?

I MIGHT see J-Will, Walker and the #1 pick but not Udonis Haslem, Walker and the #1, that would be CRAZY to me.

Well....can you blame them....you are talking about one of the top 10 players in the league...a PROVEN ALL-STAR and more than likely a possible Hall of Famer....who is STILL in his prime. I would do the deal.....with Shaq getting older and injury prone.....you have to make that deal. I personally would do the deal.
I like Adonis....but man the future is bright with Dorrel on that team. He is a combo of early stages Tracy McGrady/Kobe Bryant..he is THAT good.

That's kinda my point. Udonis is a PF and can backup Shaq & Mourning as well. I can't see losing him in combo with Walker, J-Will and a #1 and then not having that quality bigman backup.

Well....can you blame them....you are talking about one of the top 10 players in the league...a PROVEN ALL-STAR and more than likely a possible Hall of Famer....who is STILL in his prime. I would do the deal.....with Shaq getting older and injury prone.....you have to make that deal. I personally would do the deal.
I like Adonis....but man the future is bright with Dorrel on that team. He is a combo of early stages Tracy McGrady/Kobe Bryant..he is THAT good.

I don't think there is any way Riley would give up Haslem at all. He is the teams best rebounder and defender and plays the second most minutes on the team and is much more healthy in his career than Shaq and Zo. I could see Riley give up Jason Williams to get AI but not Haslem.

Iverson is a thug and a cancer. Always has been. Ever since his bowling alley brawl down the street here in high school. What happened to Larry Brown as soon as he was free of Iverson? He won a championship with the Pistons. I do not see how a ball hog taking 50 shots a game and making 15 of them is going to help any good team hoping to go all the way.

He has calmed down a ton. The 76ers are my favorite team and I have watched them for a long time and I personally think that since HE has been THE MAN since CHarles Barkley left, he has bee coddled TOO much and the 76ers HAVE to take some of that blame. Now, with a STRONG character like Shaq AND riley....I am sure they would sit down with him and talk to him to explain what they expect from him IF he were to go to the HEAT.

That's what they said about the :alers with Kobe, Shaq, Malone & Payton, and look what happened. Loading your team with stars doesn't automatically make your team a winner. You need role players. If I verson goes to the Heat, they'll be good for a few weeks, then watch the grapes go sour on the vine.

T there would be NO WAY the Heat could be stopped if they had a backcourt of Iverson AND Wade.