Heavy rumors of Calipari to Kentucky....

salsadancer7

SatelliteGuys Master
Original poster
Jun 1, 2004
South Florida
Hmmm....interesting....Hey Ramy.....

Jeff Goodman is a senior college basketball writer for FOXSports.com.

Updated: March 30, 2009, 11:30 AM EST 1 comment Memphis coach John Calipari has yet to meet with Kentucky athletic director Mitch Barnhart or school president Lee Todd, according to multiple sources with knowledge of the situation.

Sources close to Calipari have confirmed that the Tigers head coach, who has led the team to four consecutive Sweet 16 appearances, met with a third-party representative from the school over the weekend and could meet with Barnhart or Todd early this week.

Kentucky has not yet made an offer to Calipari.

Calipari has expressed significant interest in the Kentucky job over the last few years, sources told FOXSports.com, and was disappointed that he wasn't contacted two years ago prior to the hiring of Billy Gillispie, who was fired last week after a two-year record of 40-27.

According to the Memphis Commercial Appeal, Calipari met with his players on Monday morning to discuss his involvement with Kentucky. The newspaper said that players left the meeting "convinced that Calipari would take the job" after their coach said it was the Notre Dame of basketball.

Calipari is 252-69 in nine seasons at Memphis and led the Tigers to the national title game a year ago, where the Tigers blew a late lead and lost to Kansas in overtime.

FOX Sports on MSN - COLLEGE BASKETBALL - Sources: Calipari-to-UK talks heat up; no offer yet

They better get him beacuse there's a huge drop off between Calipari and anyone else they could realistically get. And if he goes that's the end of Memphis basketball as we know it. They wouldn't be any better than the 3rd best job available right now, behind Arizona and Virginia, and Memphis would not be able to steal a coach from a big name school. If Calipari leaves Memphis will start to resemble the rest of their conference, and that's not good.

And when I said this, everybody thought I was wrong. This guy should be the only candidate on K's list. Why would he leave? Why would he stay? Kentucky's calling! When Kentucky, Indiana, UCLA, NC, or Kansas call, you answer and listen, very carefully. This is chance for him to coach at a university where BB is KING! Not to mention all the "little" things they can provide that Memphis can't, like state of the art facilities, money, prestige, did I mention money? But most of all, IT'S KENTUCKY! Kids call you about playing there.

Last edited:
And when I said this, everybody thought I was wrong. This guy should be the only candidate on K's list. Why would he leave? Why would he stay? Kentucky's calling! When Kentucky, Indiana, UCLA, NC, or Kansas call, you answer and listen, very carefully. This is chance for him to coach at a university where BB is KING! Not to mention all the "little" things they can provide that Memphis can't, like state of the art facilities, money, prestige, did I mention money? But most of all, IT'S KERNTUCKY! Kids call you about playing there.
True, but Calipari's got a pretty good thing going at Memphis. Like you said though it's Kentucky. There is a pretty big downside too. At Kentucky they expect all of the following in any given year: beat Louisville, UNC, Indiana, and Tennessee, win the SEC, win 30 games, reach the FF. If you fail at any of those things the Kentucky fans will make your life and that of your family miserable. At Memphis nobody hassles Calipari about anything. Hope he knows what he's walking into if he goes.

If you want to rise to the top of your profession....Kentucky is like playing for the Yankees. If he wins there, he'll be treated like a god. If you lose, you're hated, no matter where you coach. You should hear the backlash around here about Rich Rodriguez, and it's only been one season.

True, but Calipari's got a pretty good thing going at Memphis. Like you said though it's Kentucky. There is a pretty big downside too. At Kentucky they expect all of the following in any given year: beat Louisville, UNC, Indiana, and Tennessee, win the SEC, win 30 games, reach the FF. If you fail at any of those things the Kentucky fans will make your life and that of your family miserable. At Memphis nobody hassles Calipari about anything. Hope he knows what he's walking into if he goes.

In any given profession there is pressure with more responsibility and a higher profile position. If Calipari truly wants to be known as one of the best coaches and he has a true love for the game, coaching Kentucky has to be one of his ultimate dreams.

No aspiring Top Chef wants to cook at Ponderossa forever and would much rather have the prestige of cooking at a NY Steakhouse instead.

In any given profession there is pressure with more responsibility and a higher profile position. If Calipari truly wants to be known as one of the best coaches and he has a true love for the game, coaching Kentucky has to be one of his ultimate dreams.

No aspiring Top Chef wants to cook at Ponderossa forever and would much rather have the prestige of cooking at a NY Steakhouse instead.

That's exactly what I was implying.:up

At Kentucky they expect all of the following in any given year: beat Louisville, UNC, Indiana, and Tennessee, win the SEC, win 30 games, reach the FF. If you fail at any of those things the Kentucky fans will make your life and that of your family miserable. At Memphis nobody hassles Calipari about anything.

When Memphis loses in the regional finals, nobody wants to run him out of town.

OTOH, when Kentucky loses to an inferior opponent- they want to run the coach out of town.

Calipari's Memphis teams would beat Gardner-Webb by 40.

If you want to rise to the top of your profession....Kentucky is like playing for the Yankees.

What baseball team would Memphis be?

This is chance for him to coach at a university where BB is KING! Not to mention all the "little" things they can provide that Memphis can't, like state of the art facilities, money, prestige, did I mention money? But most of all, IT'S KENTUCKY!

So? Just because it's a big name doesn't mean you have to take the job. This reminds me of when Notre Dame fell off under Gerry Faust in the 1980s- their name and tradition were not enough. I don't care if it's Kentucky- no tradition is worth the risk.

If you ask Billy Gillespie, he made the biggest mistake of his life. He was better off in the no-pressure situation of College Station.

I will say this. Calipari knows a thing or two about playing in a no talent conference. Going to the SEC won't be a big step up from C-USA.

When Memphis loses in the regional finals, nobody wants to run him out of town.

OTOH, when Kentucky loses to an inferior opponent- they want to run the coach out of town.

Calipari's Memphis teams would beat Gardner-Webb by 40.

What baseball team would Memphis be?

So? Just because it's a big name doesn't mean you have to take the job. This reminds me of when Notre Dame fell off under Gerry Faust in the 1980s- their name and tradition were not enough. I don't care if it's Kentucky- no tradition is worth the risk.

If you ask Billy Gillespie, he made the biggest mistake of his life. He was better off in the no-pressure situation of College Station.

If you ask Gillespie, he'd probably tell you he has no regrets about going there. Maybe some regrets that he didn't win there, but no regrets about going there. No guts, no blue chips. If you want to play it safe, stay a High School coach. He had gone as far as he was going at Texas A&M. Kentucky was a new challenge. He failed in the eyes of Kentucky supporters only.

As for Gerry Faust, who's fault was that one? Not his. If Notre Dame called me, I'd be there in a minute.

If you can't run with the big dogs, stay on the porch.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)