Hello all complete noob here...

Status
Please reply by conversation.

ziggy4212

Original poster
Nov 26, 2006
My name is Donnie from Blackwater VA i just got a fortec star lifetime ultra reciver,i already have a 5 lmb direct tv dish,as well as a secoend single lmb dish i was just hopeing anyone out here that has a min could give me some tips for getting started i would greatly appricate it. So far without moveing the dish's all i can get is 9 channels that are FTA they are disnetwork channels....

What channels are you trying to get? Not a whole lot of FTA on the dish birds as you have found out.

And you really should get a bigger dish. In my opinion, the best FTA stuff is at 123°W, but you need a 30" or larger dish for that.

The 5LNB dish is pretty much useless. The single LNB dish will get you a few free channels but you really need to upgrade to a 30" dish and a KU Band LNB

i would be happy to just get more than the 2 over the air anteena channels i recive i would like some form of national news possibly a fox or abc not to picky how can i find out the best birds to point at for free to air with the setup i have? also would you recomend updateing software on my unit it is dated in 04? if so where can updates be found? Thanks for the help guys

That would be a challenge for a beginner, and as it's not really full-size, somewhat restrictive.
But, "yes".

Check 89°W (Galaxy 28) for some ABC national news stuff, "ABC News Now". And LyngSat reports an NBC news channel at 103°W (AMC 1).

I used to watch ABC News Now sometimes, it wasn't too bad. I'm not sure on the current, latest status of those channels though.

How do you guys feel about the software upgrade? i have read some mixed comments about it.... Like i said i am some what of a noob to FTA sat but i have worked in electroincs for 4 years for a major reatiler as a tech support rep so i am pretty well versed in electroincs again i apprecite any help..

Thanks for the advice on a dish as well i think i know where i can get a 36'' dish it's one of the old USB dish's i would just need to change out to a newer lmb i guess

Your little dish might get you a 6in1 channel... see the what can you get with an 18 inch dish faq... those usually have cnn and fox news two of the 6...

On G10R at 123 deg. ABC is KKTU and Fox is WMQF. Among a many other great channels. I think your Superdish has a suitable FSS LNBF that is compatible for FTA. I would suggest at least a 90cm dish.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts