Hello! Cable user making the switch and I have a few dumb questions, LOL

TroyO

Well-Known SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Mar 13, 2012
Denver, CO
I have a few questions about Dish and it doesn't seem to be the types of things that are specified.

I mostly want to make sure I am not stepping in to a deal where I expect XYZ and after the purchase I find out "Ohh, it doesn't come with Y... only cable has that."

My intended equipment/package is probably the Hopper with 2 Joey's and the ~200 channel pack.

I like the way "On demand" works with cable. I get a menu and can look for things to watch.... not just movies but say under Discovery Channel I can find a special that aired two weeks ago. When I decide to watch it, I hit OK and the video starts playing and I can FFWD/RWD (Albeit at only one speed). When Dish says "On demand" do they mean (At least pretty much) the same thing? For some reason I was under the impression that with Dish you had to wait for a show to start? (In other words more like PPV.... Mythbusters starts at 7:00, 8:20, 9:15 etc....)

Does it matter where I order dish? Should I go to Dish.com and do it, or will a local retailer have better incentives or anything?

Ohh, and one more.... how much above the list price (Channel pack and equipment) will the actual bill be? Will say $20 cover taxes, license fees and blah blah blah?

(I do appologize in advance.... I realize some variation of this question must come up regularly. So much of what is on here is technical and really doesn't seem to say how it works from a "Hit this button, get this result" perspective. I really did try searching!)

Thanks you for any insight!

Ohh, and one more.... how much above the list price (Channel pack and equipment) will the actual bill be? Will say $20 cover taxes, license fees and blah blah blah?
Your monthly bill will be the quoted channel pack price, plus $10/mo for the Hopper and $14/mo for the 2 Joeys. That doesn't include taxes, which will vary by state. So, channel package + $24 + taxes.

:welcome to Satellite Guys!!!!!
Yes go with a local retailer. No taxes won't be that high. More like 5-7 bucks depending on what you have and what ever the tax rate is in CO.

My dish on demand is instant. Says downloading...for like 5 seconds. Then I can watch now...with very little buffering. I just got comcast for the cable modem deal...25-40 mbps....29.99 for a year...then 39.99 after that. Did have att dsl...$45 a month...12mbps....sucked ass..lol

and ya...there on demand (dish) has networks to choose from...round 89-95....goes up and down..lol. But its the same concept...I have a 722k dvr...gotta have it or a 622 to do that type of on demand though!!!

Definitely go to a retailer, deals are no different than at Dish.com but service will be better and usually quicker.
There is no comparison between cable on demand and dish on demand. Cable is much better. Dish on demand totally relies on your home internet speed. I don't use dish on demand, it takes forever to download a show. By the same token I stream netflix, Hulu plus, and other content through my ROKU with no buffering. Don't know why Dish can't do the same.

Ross

Sent from my rooted DROIDX (Liberty Gingerbread) using SatelliteGuys

OK, I think I get the gist.. there will still be some taxes and fees, but probably not as much as cable was.
(That was one of those $120 a month advertised deal. Bill arrives and it's $150.... access fee, network fee, tax fee, tax on the tax fee, processing the taxes fee....?) (I realize with dish it will also go up some but by the breakdown on the website I expect that.)

On demand will have some buffer delay but it's not strictly PPV style. I have 3 mbps DSL which is I guess better than it might have been, but far from ideal. I may just suck it up and go back to Comcast for internet. Part of my problem with them is I was having a tech issue with internet and they bald faced lied to me. Hate that... I'll take an honest mistake any day over dishonesty. (Claimed they had been out and replaced the cable line between pole and house. Unless they replaced the bird poo at the same time.....) Anyway.... gist, if it's too slow upgrade your internet.

Finally.... local retailer is a good idea.

Thanks for the heads up everyone!

Does it matter where I order dish? Should I go to Dish.com and do it, or will a local retailer have better incentives or anything?

You can get better deals if you order your service through a local retailer or better yet.... a local satellite installer, When I got Dish Network, I got same day install plus a better deal then if I would of ordered through dish network.