Hello: I'm new here; looking for FTA Info in CT

Status
Please reply by conversation.

peter13

Original poster
Dec 27, 2005
I was looking to install a Dish & Receiver in the Hartford, Connecticut area so that I could get FTA reception of a particular TV Network called EWTN. It is located on the Galaxy 11 satellite.

Does anyone know if #1 is it possible for me to get descent reception from my location and #2 what would be the best receiver and dish to buy.

Also, would anyone know of any installers in the CT area. Thank you.

Peter, For what it is worth EWTN is on Direct TV and I'm sure Dish Network.... They ain't free but they on 18-24 inch dishes.

On the other hand, you can drive down the street looking for BUDs (Big Ugly Dishes) and offer to haul them away free. I'd guess you wouldn't knock on too many doors before you got a taker.

Or if you drive to New Orleans, I can point you to at least a dozen availible after the hurricane. They might need some minor repair though. ;-)

Peter:
I just looked up EWTN on C-band it is at 133 deg. West on G1. It is an analog signal and it is free. There are several free analog religious channels on C-band. If you decide to go that route take Katrinasucks advice and look for a big dish that you can have just for hauling it away. If there is also a Dish Network or a DirecTV dish in their yard they have probably abandoned the C-band. They may even give you the receiver!

You may have trouble getting a clear view of G1 since it is pretty far West and you are pretty far East. Find the azimuth and elevation for G1 and do a site survey. I do a site survey by leaning a straight pole against a sawhorse and place my angle finder on it. Then I pull the bottom end out until I find the right elevation. Then I sight up the pole. If there are no obstructions it is a clear view to the satellite.

If you find a big dish you will have a lot of trouble getting the pole out of the ground. Mine is set in a 2'x2'x2' hole with 4 eighty-pound bags of concrete mix poured in. A tornado passed about 50' from it and did not change the alignment.

Old John

Katrinasucks said:
Peter, For what it is worth EWTN is on Direct TV and I'm sure Dish Network.... They ain't free but they on 18-24 inch dishes.

On the other hand, you can drive down the street looking for BUDs (Big Ugly Dishes) and offer to haul them away free. I'd guess you wouldn't knock on too many doors before you got a taker.

Or if you drive to New Orleans, I can point you to at least a dozen availible after the hurricane. They might need some minor repair though. ;-)
I actually should also be BUD-hunting, not just looking for 30"-1.2 meter dishes...

Wonder if I'm ready to tackle the installation on one of those 10 foot monsters :eek:

Tron said:
I actually should also be BUD-hunting, not just looking for 30"-1.2 meter dishes...
Wonder if I'm ready to tackle the installation on one of those 10 foot monsters :eek:

There is one on the ground behind the Shoeny's on Clerview. There is another at the Photographer on West Nap just south of Clearview. There is a nice looking mesh one on West Esplande not far from you but I'm not sure if it is in use.... That one was mounted much lower and looked unscathed. I'd knock on that door first. ;-)

I have a van if you need it.

I've been thinking of making "Free Satellite Dish Removal" flyers to put on people's door. I bet you'd have more than you knew what to do with.

Tron,
Setting up a big dish is much the same as setting up a little one. Set your elevation to your latitude then turn it back and forth slowly until you find the true south bird.

Thank you for the help you gave me recently.

Old John

Mesh dishs are not too bad on weight. A second person really helps in putting them up. A U-haul van is not too expensive and you can keep the dish in one piece. If you get one near you alls you have to do is put it on a poll and turn it. It should be on a sat and you have the ark. Again a signal meter like the SF-95 for $10 E-bay will really help.

Good luck with the hunt.

Tron said:

ken2400 said:
Mesh dishs are not too bad on weight. A second person really helps in putting them up. A U-haul van is not too expensive and you can keep the dish in one piece. If you get one near you alls you have to do is put it on a poll and turn it. It should be on a sat and you have the ark. Again a signal meter like the SF-95 for $10 E-bay will really help.
Good luck with the hunt.

I helped move my 8Ft peroforated Aluminum Winegard about 12 years ago,,,a pain, but worth it (I helped the Sat guy load it onto his van and put it up on ther new pole afterwards...Not really that heavy but if you do move one, do it on a windless day!!! ( His Van was set up for Dish moving.) Then I did ther rest.

EWTN does come in fine here in Reno, NV ob BUD, G1 here is just a few degrees from due south, pretty high in the sky...really nice especially for an old bird. EWTN has a strong signal and is free as others have said on C Band! Mine is set into a 3x3x3 ft cement foundation and has easily withstood several 100+ storms...yesterday was about 60mph and I simple retracted the actuated arm, move East and it hid behind my house to ride out the storm! I use the bud for FTN and 4DTV until my dedicated FTN dish arrives this week (Invacom LNB arrived yesterday)
Good Luck
Jeff

Thanks for the BUD tips guys! I'd love to play with a BUD, and explore what C-band has to offer (The Tube, The Tube, The Tube....)

Katrinasucks, I know what dish you're talking about on W. Esplanade. It seems to be pointed at G-10R and it never moves. It's a couple of blocks toward me from Bonnabel. I'm pretty sure he's using it though. Probably getting Outdoor Channel in HD :D

I'll check on those other two possibilities that are on the ground. Just gotta ask the landowner first :) Actually, I'd LOVE one of those sectioned solid dishes like they use at the TV stations!

Status
Please reply by conversation.