Help! 522 stuck in Dual Mode.

mtsmylie

Well-Known SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Dec 27, 2004
Twin Falls, ID
So I was watching one of my DVR programs this morning when our toddler son walked over and pushed the Mode button on the front of the 522. We have it hooked up to only one TV, and enjoy just switching tuners to record/watch more than one program at a time, so I figured I would just be able to change it back by pushing the Mode button again.

Except now the receiver is completely unresponsive to all buttons on both remotes, as well as the front of the receiver, except for the Power buttons. So it won't let me change it to Single mode, or change the tuner of channel, or wach any DVR programs or anything!

Talked to a tech support guy who was unable to do anything. Had me do an hard reboot, but that didn't fix anything, so he's given up and is sending us a new receiver via UPS.

I'd rather keep our current receiver if anyone here has some advice, and has experienced this before. I tried searching the archives, and didn't find anything.

Anyone?

Unplug the power cord and let it sit for a minute. Plug it back in and let it power up, if it continues then take the remote number one and do the following.

Hold the sat button down until all the others light up, release and press the number 1 key and release, press the # key and the sat button will blink 3 times, now press the record button. At this point you can try chaning the channels, if it works then you now have control back over the receiver.

If this does not work you will need to take a credit card or a drivers license, open the door on the front of the receiver and insert said card into the slot until it deadends, wait 5 seconds and remove the card, this will reboot the receiver, if this does not allow you to gain access to the receiver then the receiver is a lost cause.

If you get a chance push the mode button again on the front of the receiver, if it doesnt budge then it may be jammed. I know that kids love touching anything shiny with sticky gooey grimy fingers and if your son has done this a few times there could be some gunk just inside the panel. Press the plastic around the button to see if it pops out or atleast move some.

Yeah, tried that again, and still no luck.

The most frustrating thing is that everything's still working: both tuners started recording at 8 tonight, and we were able to watch the program on Tuner 2, but with no pausing or anything.

It just doesn't want to let us use the remotes or receiver buttons. Bummer.

So how hard is it going to be to set up the replacement receiver when it arrives on Wednesday? Pretty simple?

You know it honestly sounds like the remotes and front panel buttons are locked out by the parental controls, call back and ask dish to reset the parental control password on your 522 if you have one set up on it. This should unlock the front panel and allow you to get into the receiver to get to the system info screen by pressing menue 6, 1, 3, at the bottom will be the remote addresses for each remote and you will need to reset the number one remote to the receiver.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts