Help a newb point and get a 4DTV dish setup with a Coolsat 6000.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

dotbatman

SatelliteGuys Guru
Original poster
Hello there!

Got my c-band dish planted in late october, but haven't had a chance to really play with it until now. I've got it pointed at Brasilsat (84 W), which is my TSS and can't get it to blindscan anything in on my coolsat 6000. It's a KTI 8' dish with a chapparal feedhorn, an Eagle Aspen for Ku, and DMS for C. Used to be someone's 4dtv setup, so it's got the rotator and whatnot, but I've just direct-connected the c-band lnb to my coolsat.

First off, my pole is perfectly plumb. I've also gotten the dish pointed directly south, and I've followed the settings for elevation from dishpointer. I'm getting 92% signal strength, which as I understand it means that I'm connected to the right LNB (a DMS 5200?), 7% signal quality (dish settings screen). On the dish setting screen, I have LNB power set to ON, LNB set to single, LNB Freq set to 5150, 22 KHz off, DISHEqC off, and Legacy Sw set to off. When I run a blind scan I get nothing back. Where do I begin troubleshooting?

Anyone in NW ohio want to come help me point this thing?

dotbatman;
Tracksat.com shows that Brasilsat @ 84W beams its signal to the South American continent; therefore, it is not likely that you will ever pick up a signal in Ohio. Perhaps someone in Ohio can help you, I am in Virginia, but do visit my son in Columbus occasionally... What satellite(s) are you primarily interested in receiving?

but I've just direct-connected the c-band lnb to my coolsat.
Being an FTA box supplies 13/18v (depending on the polarity selected) the LNB is probably not going to work at all if supplied 13v. Should be fine with 18v. (V=13v, H=18v) So select Horizontal with the FTA box. Manually rotate the feed in the scalar to orientate the probe vertical as 83W, freq 3805 SR= 4166 (Program it H but it is actually vertical)
On 87W you could use 3853 H 5924 (rotate the feeds probe to horizontal)
SatAV C2 or equiv. LNBF would make it a lot easier.
AMC 3 @ 87W has the NASA channels and they are easy to receive
NASA is only on 105W. They left 87W a while ago for better coverage in Hawaii. AMC 3 satellite has been replaced by SES 2 at 87W

Brazil Sat is also really my true south sat, but I use AMC-9 since I can't receive anything off of that one.

This TV and Me TV come in pretty strong on 87W. Also the @sport channel. You should be able to get those easily.

I'm happy to report that I was able to get the dish pointed at 97w and I have booming signals on both h and v channels. I'd really like to get some of the stuff on 91w, but I can't seem to get it tuned in as of yet. I'll keep on reading on trying to get this thing tracking the arc.

Try the other way, closer to your zenith, to set your elevation. Then proceed west to adjust the azimuth(rotation of the mount on the pole). Do not adjust elevation when not on zenith.

dotbatman said:
Hello there!

Got my c-band dish planted in late october, but haven't had a chance to really play with it until now. I've got it pointed at Brasilsat (84 W), which is my TSS and can't get it to blindscan anything in on my coolsat 6000. It's a KTI 8' dish with a chapparal feedhorn, an Eagle Aspen for Ku, and DMS for C. Used to be someone's 4dtv setup, so it's got the rotator and whatnot, but I've just direct-connected the c-band lnb to my coolsat.

First off, my pole is perfectly plumb. I've also gotten the dish pointed directly south, and I've followed the settings for elevation from dishpointer. I'm getting 92% signal strength, which as I understand it means that I'm connected to the right LNB (a DMS 5200?), 7% signal quality (dish settings screen). On the dish setting screen, I have LNB power set to ON, LNB set to single, LNB Freq set to 5150, 22 KHz off, DISHEqC off, and Legacy Sw set to off. When I run a blind scan I get nothing back. Where do I begin troubleshooting?

Anyone in NW ohio want to come help me point this thing?

How far are you from Louisville, KY?

Well, I got it working. I think something was messed up with the CoRotor 2 that I had gotten with the dish, or maybe the dielectric plate was killing my signal, but I swapped in a DMX741 and I hit high 90s on most of the arc now. Now I just need to figure out how to use my 920 as a dish mover. Any pointers?

The dielectric plate should be removed for linear polarity operation. Sorry, but I know nothing on how to program a 920 to move a BUD. Maybe start a new thread with your last line, starting with "How to" as the thread heading, would also make it easier to search for, to help others.

Status
Please reply by conversation.