Help activating second receiver

Status
Please reply by conversation.

manfromeastvan

Original poster
Jan 17, 2006
I have just purchased a second directv receiver (brand new) which I plan to use at my cabin. My question is this....should I activate the receiver and access card at my home address first and then transport it to my cabin, or can I just take the receiver with me to the cabin and activate it there? I don't think it would make a difference, but I thought I would double check with the experts before I install :) Thanks!

I assume that if you are setting up at a separate service address they may require a separate account. Just to save the headaches, just activate it at home, allow it to download any new software if needed, make sure it works to your satisfaction and then take it. At least if something might go wrong you can work it out while still at the house and in advance of the "trip".

charper1 said:
I assume that if you are setting up at a separate service address they may require a separate account. Just to save the headaches, just activate it at home, allow it to download any new software if needed, make sure it works to your satisfaction and then take it. At least if something might go wrong you can work it out while still at the house and in advance of the "trip".
Actually, if you will not use the cabin receiver and the home receiver at the same time, you can have them both on the same acount and just disconnect the unused receiver from the account when you are in the other location. What you can not do on one account is operate two receivers in two different locations at the same time.

I realize that I'm not supposed to operate two receivers at two locations on one account. But I'm going to, and I'm interested in what kinds of technical problems I may have running both receivers simultaneously. Neither receiver will be connected to a phone line. Thanks for all the help so far :)

It can be done. Ive had customers who activated 4 receivers at once at their home, buy a 2nd dish from me and then tell me they use it in their cabin or summer home etc. never have i gotten a call back about them having issues with it.

There are no issues if you are really just taking a receiver to the cabin from time to time; Str8pool is 100% correct. What is illegal is if you are trying to have one account, and have receivers at your home and your buddy's home at the same time; all the time.

charper1 said:
There are no issues if you are really just taking a receiver to the cabin from time to time; Str8pool is 100% correct. What is illegal is if you are trying to have one account, and have receivers at your home and your buddy's home at the same time; all the time.

Is this Directv's policy or just our opinion??

Bill

agsbill said:
Is this Directv's policy or just our opinion?? Bill

You mean account sharing? (4 receivers on one paid acct: 2 for you and 2 for me all the time) Yes, that is DirecTV's, not just us. I believe the verbiage (not exact) states that all the receivers on said account must RESIDE at the same PHYSICAL service address. This used to be one of the secondary functions of the mandatory land line phone connection, so it could phone home to check itself vs its supposed location, while uploading PPV account info.

Last edited:
charper1 said:
You mean account sharing? (4 receivers on one paid acct: 2 for you and 2 for me all the time) Yes, that is DirecTV's, not just us. I believe the verbiage (not exact) states that all the receivers on said account must RESIDE at the same PHYSICAL service address. This used to be one of the secondary functions of the mandatory land line phone connection, so it could phone home to check itself vs its supposed location, while uploading PPV account info.

I read your post about four times....SAME PHYSICAL ADDRESS

So.....the answer is yes, you can have a vacation house and use the receivers at that address???? Or No you can't!!

Bill

1. YES - If you vacation a month or two out of a year to another location, you take one of your home receivers with you to the vacation home and bring it back when you are done.

2. NO - Maintain 2 receivers FULL-TIME at a 2nd home and 2 receivers at your main home 24/7/365 on the exact same account.

3. NO - Your buddy has 2 receivers at his home, you have 2 receivers at your home on the exact same account.

#2 is technically illegal by DirecTV, but some will claim "they are both my property" and "as long as I don't get caught".

#3 is just illegal.

Last edited:
Thanks....I now understand......

:)

Bill

BTW, I see in your PROFILE that you are in the USA...maybe, after 3000+ posts .... you could narrow it down to at least a state.
:)

Last edited:
I know what I'm doing is technically wrong, but so is sleeping with my girl's best friend. Wait....and.....I'm over it :) Does directv have a way of determining physical address if receivers are not hooked up to a phone line? More specifically, how likely is this to bite me in the ass later and what (if any) technical problems can I expect? Thanks again for all the great info.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)