Help adding 3rd receiver to existing installation

tsutaz

Original poster
Jul 8, 2009
Georgia
Hi,

I would like to add a 3rd receiver to my existing Dishnetwork installation. My intent is to buy a new receiver, but I would like to avoid paying the cost of installation. I'm competent that I could do the install myself, I just lack the knowledge of Diplexers/Multiswitches and splitters.

This new receiver would be located in the basement and it is already wired.

The existing installation was done by a professional. Could someone please take a look at my hand drawing and recommend an approach and additional hardware to install a 3rd receiver. In the drawing you will notice 2 items label Holland DPD2. I'm assuming these are diplexers?

Thank You!
Tsutaz

Attachments

• dishsetup.jpg
    dishsetup.jpg
    21 KB · Views: 293
Looks like you have DishPro (single cable to 722 and 222)

System Info
Menu > 6 > 1 > 3
h- Device: ???

Check to see what kind switch you have, if its a dpp34 or dpp44, your all set, just run a new cable from the switch open port to the new location.

Looks like you have DishPro (single cable to 722 and 222)

System Info
Menu > 6 > 1 > 3
h- Device: ???

Check to see what kind switch you have, if its a dpp34 or dpp44, your all set, just run a new cable from the switch open port to the new location.

Where would dpp34/dpp44 be located? The diagram showing the Holland's are (located in a cable/phone wall box in the basement) and each one of those is connected to the sat (see Input #1 and Input #2 on the drawing). No other hardware is found.

tsutaz

We need more information to help. What type of dish do you have? If you already have HD and only one dish, then you likely have a 1000 series dish and there should be an unused connection on the dish that you can connect to. If you have a dish 500 system you'll need a switch.

We need more information to help. What type of dish do you have? If you already have HD and only one dish, then you likely have a 1000 series dish and there should be an unused connection on the dish that you can connect to. If you have a dish 500 system you'll need a switch.

Uncertain of the dish type, but positive on HD and Yes, only one Dish Installed. So, it sounds like I have 1000, but I will verify for sure this afternoon when I get home and post the type. In the event that it is a 1000, & based on your response, I can't use any of the 2 existing feeds to split a signal to another new receiver? Kinda bummer if that's true. Before the finishing the basement walls and ceiling, I ran new cable to the location of where the basement TV would be located. So now, I can't use existing cable path from initial installation. I would have to install new cable run from the dish and along side of house and drill thru wall to new receiver?

tsutaz

In the event that it is a 1000, & based on your response, I can't use any of the 2 existing feeds to split a signal to another new receiver?
Nope. Cable must go from each receiver all the way to your switch. If you have a 1000.2, then that has an integrated DishPro Plus switch with 3 outputs suitable for 3 dual-tuner receivers.

Confirmed. I have a Dish 1000

Thanks for the responses and help guys. I know what need to be done now.

With a Dish 1000 you need a switch to get more than two receivers, so add a DPP44, or replace the Dish 1000 with a Dish 1000.2 which has a built in 3 output switch.

The D1000.2 is probably cheaper than the DPP44. Last I heard DPP44 was near $200 and the D1000.2 was about $100.

There is no such beastie as a DPP34. The DP34 will only serve up the ViP722 and the ViP222 so it would not satisfy the need.

The DPP33 and a DP Twin would fit the bill -- probably for less than a DPP44 -- but would be limited to three receivers.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts