Help adding a receiver.

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

kenerly

Original poster
Aug 17, 2005
Current set up. Trying to add one single receiver to an existing (2) dual tuner receivers.
61.5 sat has 2 outputs on the LNB
110 & 119 has 2 outputs and 1 marked “LNB” on the LNB.
I have two dual tuner receivers and 1 single tuner.
The dual tuner receivers have a splitter on the back that says separator.

When I wire it as shown in picture 1, I loose sat 119 on the single receiver and other sat signals drop off. Both dual tuners work fine with all 3 sat signals.

When I wire it as shown in picture 2, nothing works right.

Where am I going wrong, do I need more equipment?

Thanks for any help.

Attachments

• dish1.jpg
    dish1.jpg
    18.8 KB · Views: 173
  • dish2.jpg
    dish2.jpg
    18.2 KB · Views: 153
The DP34 will not work with Seperators.

What you have is a DPP Twin this has an input for the 61.5 with a DP Dual. This DPP Twin has a switch built in to add the wing sat, then because it is a Plus head it can use the seperaor to drive 2 dual tuners. You can not add a 5 tuner onto this system.

You would have to replace the DP34 with a DPP44 to do what your want. You would also have to run a line down from the 61.5 dish to the DPP44. This is because the DPP44 would lock the DPP Twin into 119 & 110 and disable the wing input. Basically it turns the DPP Twin into a standard DP Twin.

If you don't want to spend the extra cash for a DPP44, you could use two DP34's. Then you would have to run a second input wire to each of your dual tuners and take out the seperator.

kenerly said:
Thanks for the good info... :)
Beside, the drawing on use of seperator is wrong.
The seperator is come in from a single cable from the switch or from the DPP twin, then through this seperator, you can get into the satellite one and two ports on back of your receiver, then one of this input is for your second TV. If you has three receiver and two of those are dual output, then DPP44 is in use. IN this case, only the port 1 and 4 can be use with the seperator.

Weird: I ran two lines from each dual tuner receiver as you mentioned and removed the separators. With just the single tuner and one dual tuner hooked to the dp34 I'm not getting sat 110 on the dual tuner? The single receiver is working perfect, all 3 sat signals. I tried this set up with the 61.5 wing input connected and disconnected. The 61.5 LNB has two outputs, one I have connected to the dp34 the other was connected to the wing of the 110 & 119 LNB.

I have not even tried to add the seconded dual tuner yet. I know I can not add the 2nd dual tuner till I add a 2nd dp34.

Any idea?

Make sure you do a switch check with no cables connected to clear the matrix. Then try it with the lines connected from the DP34.

You should have the 1 & 2 port of the DP34 connected to the lines from the twin and the 3rd port should have the lead comming from the 61.5 sat.

What is your single receiver showing on the switch matrix?

I did switch test with no receivers hooked to dp34.
In current set up (pic 3) the single receiver is getting all 3 sat signals.
The dual tuner is reporting no 110 on either tuner.

Is the fact that the 110 & 119 sat sends both signals down both outputs, causing a problem for the dp34? Didn’t older LNB’s send the 110 down one line and the 119 down the other?

Attachments

• dish3.jpg
    dish3.jpg
    15.4 KB · Views: 151
Did you remove the line from the 61.5 to the DP+Twin? If not, do so. Also, you may need to connect the Dual Tuner to either ports 1&2 or ports 3&4 of the DP34 to get it to work right.

"Did you remove the line from the 61.5 to the DP+Twin?" YES

"you may need to connect the Dual Tuner to either ports 1&2" Had it on 1&2 that was missing 110 sat.

Did not try 3&4 with dual tuner.

BTW, I can hook the single tuner to any of the outputs by it self and it works perfect.

Try clearing the switch matrix by running it without any sats hooked up and then try again. Otherwise, install a second Dish500 and connect the DPTwin to the DPDual on the 61.5 with a DP21. I've done that for a few subs since it is cheaper than getting the DP+44. I would seriously look at the DP+44 though.

I goofed! I am an ex-voomer and I had Dish installed about 2 1/2 months ago. I have two dishes (one for 61.5 and one for 110/119). I had two receivers installed (811 and SD DVR - 510, I think).

Anyway, I now want an additional SD receiver and Dish wants $149 to install (includes receiver). I have an old receiver I could use, but I would have to pay Dish $49 plus mailing for a new access card.

Is it possible for me to install a new receiver myself and what would it cost me for switches (if any)? I wish I had just had all three installed (free) at the time of original installation...

Fixed

I fixed it.

Removed the DPPtwin LNB from 110 & 119 sat and replaced with a DP Dual connecting the DP Dual 2 outputs to the DP34 inputs 1 & 2.
The 61.5 sat is connected to the 3rd input of DP34.

Replacing the DPPtwin LNB removes the 61.5 wing leg.

Ran two cables from each dual tuner to the DP34 reciever inputs. Installed a 2nd dp34 connected to 1st dp34 which gives me 4 more outputs.

There was something about the DPPtwin the dp34 just could not handle.

And all is well... :)

Here is a pic of the LNB I installed. The twin, dual, etc is very confusing.

Attachments

• 40_1_b.JPG
    40_1_b.JPG
    16.4 KB · Views: 107
That is a DishPro Twin. While commonly referred to as "an LNB" it is more than that.

Single - 1 LNB, 1 output
Dual - 1 LNB, 2 outputs, same size as a Single
Twin - 2 LNBs, 2 outputs, built-in switch, about 6" wide (see post 16 for DP version :D)
Quad - 2 LNBs, 4 outputs, built-in switch, same size as a Twin

Click the "here's why" link in my sig for a longer explanation.

i would like to know what kind of LNB i have i have two sats one 61.5 and one is 110 and 119 both sats have only one cable running out of them

Please note that your problems had nothing to do with the DP34 switch itself. Once you attach a DP+ Twin LNBF to a non DP+ type switch it goes to the same functionality as a DP Twin LNBF. You can not run DPP separators from a standard DP switch they must be run from either a DP+ LNBF or a DP+ switch.

Crypto, you have 2 dishes that pick up 3 satellites, most likely a Twin and a Dual. If those have a dp logo like the picture in post 16 they are DishPro, no logo is legacy. What switch do you have between the dishes? What does your receiver's installation menu, point dish, check switch summary show?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)