Help...anyone know large voip installs?

SatelliteGAL

Supporting Founder
Original poster
Supporting Founder
Sep 8, 2003
Amherst, NY (Buffalo suburb)
Our University is switching over to VOIP phones. Our department is being installed now. The phones are Cisco phones and they are being used independently... not through our computers. I received the following email (excerpt) from our department chair (who is NOT technologically inclined I might add) and it struck me as sounding wrong. Since I am not familiar with voip I figure I could be the one that is off base. The Voip phone is simply sharing the line and the speed of the voip phone has nothing to do with the speed of our computer correct? Can someone who is familiar with this stuff give me an educated answer?

EXCERPT FROM EMAIL
Hi,

As you know, we all got new phones the other day. The training for use of those phones is tomorrow (Wed.) from 3 PM - 4:30 PM in Farber 144.
The phones we received are 100 MB phones to which our internet connections go through. Because of the 100 MB limitation, some people may have slow
response time in downloading/uploading files. Those people who should worry about this are generally in laboratories where large files are exchanged.
In some cases, older computers also have 100 MB speed limitations, but newer computers come equipped with 1 GB cards to allow faster file transfer. IF
you think that you need the faster file capability (for now or the near future) we can exchange the current phone for a 1 GB phone. SO, we need to
know how many phones to exchange.

Since the VoIP phone uses the same network cabling as your PC's they may be using the line that the PC currently uses and then connecting the PC to the phone which has an ethernet passthrough jack, which maxes out a 100Mbps.

OK, so you're saying that the PC will keep the same wired connection they have now and they've installed a 2nd ethernet cable to all the offices just for the phone?

If they're using two seperate ethernet cables then I have no idea why installing VoIP phones would have anything to do with PC speeds.

I think what Rad is saying is dead on; they are most likely shared connectivity speed via the ISP for the entire place and all on the very same cable runs upto each jack panel where they breakout each device's connection.

This is exactly how we do it all our Nike facilities.

Last edited:
jack panel in wall has 2 outlets for each persons desk... 1 goes to phone and 1 goes to computer Its a University
So are you guys saying it is correct and you need the faster phone so your computer doesnt slow down? Seems weird.

jack panel in wall has 2 outlets for each persons desk... 1 goes to phone and 1 goes to computer Its a University
So are you guys saying it is correct and you need the faster phone so your computer doesnt slow down? Seems weird.

Your computer would only 'slow down' if you're doing a large file transfer of some type that could use the extra bandwidth by getting a 1000Mbps phone vs. the 100Mbps phone that they're using by default. Doing normal day to day functions you probably don't need the extra bandwidth. Frankly unless they told you ahead of time about it you probably wouldn't even notice.

Since the phone is not acting as a bridge for the computer (Connecting the computer to the phone and phone to the wall) you should experience no change at all. If you do, talk to your IT department and tell them to fire the networking team.

The switches in your closet are most likely 1Gb/100Mb/10Mb auto-sensing which means the device tells the switch how fast it wants to go. If your computer supports 1Gb connections, it will negotiate that way.

I have seen IP Phones configured both ways and they're great either way. I also support what rad says, you wouldn't have noticed it if they didn't say anything.

In a user's office/cube its 2 separate jacks as it were BUT they all likely lead to the same bandwidth usage. And as Bateau also states this should "really" be of no ultimate concern to the end user. If I were the mgr I would have never even mentioned it; it seems it may be causing undo stress and concern.

Thanks guys You were a big help
I'm just leaving well enough alone as far as all of our phones in the clinic are concerned then. I'll let the research dept upstairs worry about their own :) The people installing the system are just a bit upset and nearly cancelled our switch over on Thursday because now they have to get and program 12 (so far) replacement new phones because of this email. We don't know who mentioned anything to the person sending the email to start the uproar but it should not have happened at this stage of the game. It only confused the issue and most of the people receiving the email are not in the least "tech savvie".

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)