Help before going with DirecTV

Status
Please reply by conversation.

brakmar

Active SatelliteGuys Member
Sep 3, 2009
south Florida
I have 3 tv in 3 rooms. 2 tv are HDTV and the third is non HD, regular tv.
I would like the 2 HDTV connected to 2 HDdvr and the regular tv to a standard dvr in order to get the capability of recording 3 different programs at the same time.
Technically and financially what is the most rewarding solution: each tv with its own dvr or 1 HDdvr and 1 standard dvr with the Whole Home dvr Service?
In case of WH dvr Service do I need additional equipment besides the HDdvr?

Your opinions, advices and knowledge will be very much appreciated

You will need all hd and hddvr to get MRV.
You can get a hd box for your sdtv. I asked my installer to hook one of my sdtv to the HR24. It does mirror the HDTV but I do not need a receiver for the sdtv. Actually I have 3 tv's running on one hddvr. 2 HDTV using hdmi splitter and the sdtv.

You could go with one HD-DVR and two HD receivers and MRV. The HD receivers will be able to play what's recorded on the HD-DVR but you won't be able to pause live tV. If you do that, it will cost you $99 for the extra HD receiver. One HD-DVR and one HD receiver are free.

I have 3 tv in 3 rooms. 2 tv are HDTV and the third is non HD, regular tv.
I would like the 2 HDTV connected to 2 HDdvr and the regular tv to a standard dvr in order to get the capability of recording 3 different programs at the same time.
Technically and financially what is the most rewarding solution: each tv with its own dvr or 1 HDdvr and 1 standard dvr with the Whole Home dvr Service?
In case of WH dvr Service do I need additional equipment besides the HDdvr?

Your opinions, advices and knowledge will be very much appreciated

So you have

HDTV
HDTV
SDTV

You want the ability to record 3 different programs at the same time.

Remember, each HD-DVR can record 2 programs at the same time, so 2 HD-DVRs would get your 4. Standard SD receivers can't participate in MRV, so I'll exclude that option.

I went with 4 HD-DVRs since I was getting BING cashback (which ended permentally 7/31).....just so I'd have 4 separate hard drives and 8 tuners. Never run out of tuners for recording stuff. My wife uses one as her primary, I use one as mine, one is kinda a community one, and the 4th......hasn't been used much yet. But I was like, oh well. It costs the same to have an HD box per month as it does an HD-DVR......so for a little more upfront I got all DVRs!

.....anyways. I'd say HD-DVR HD-DVR HD would probably be your solution. That would be $200 up front and cover your 3+ tuner requirement plus DVR access on all three TVs. You could go 3xHD-DVRs, but that increases your upfront costs by $100.

Thank you for your reply.
Correct me if I am wrong:
The MRV option should not be my first choice if I want a SD DVR. But in this case does 1 HD DVR record 2 different programs –one on each HDTV – or is it only under the MRV configuration.
The least to say is that I am a little bit lost.:D

Thank you for your reply.
Correct me if I am wrong:
The MRV option should not be my first choice if I want a SD DVR. But in this case does 1 HD DVR record 2 different programs –one on each HDTV – or is it only under the MRV configuration.
The least to say is that I am a little bit lost.:D

1. If you are going to have ANY HD-DVRs in your house, which you will.....and having 2 HD and 1 SD TV....... I would not consider putting an SD DVR into the mix. Instead, put a STD HD receiver there, hook it to your SDTV, and enjoy the benefits of your DVRs in the other rooms. I'd either go HDDVR, HDDVR, HD or HDDVR, HD, HD. Going to just one HD-DVR means you only have 2 tuners in your entire house for recording, instead of 4 with the first option. It depends on how much stuff you record and how many member of your household to determine if that's enough or not. Me, I like having control of one and my wife the other.

The upfront cost is the same for an SD-DVR compared to an HD receiver. But going with the SD-DVR leaves it in a island....isolated from the other connected receivers through MRV. Also, you lose the ability to watch HD only channels like HDNet. Even though your connected to an SDTV, you can still watch all HD content.

2. HD-DVRs can record two programs each. MRV does not affect this. With MRV.....you can, from your STD HD receiver, play back recorded shows and start recordings, and pause/rew/ff any programs recorded or being recorded. Also, you can watch any HD-DVR recorded programs on any other HD-DVR.

Did that help?

Jason

1. If you are going to have ANY HD-DVRs in your house, which you will.....and having 2 HD and 1 SD TV....... I would not consider putting an SD DVR into the mix. Instead, put a STD HD receiver there, hook it to your SDTV, and enjoy the benefits of your DVRs in the other rooms. I'd either go HDDVR, HDDVR, HD or HDDVR, HD, HD. Going to just one HD-DVR means you only have 2 tuners in your entire house for recording, instead of 4 with the first option. It depends on how much stuff you record and how many member of your household to determine if that's enough or not. Me, I like having control of one and my wife the other.

The upfront cost is the same for an SD-DVR compared to an HD receiver. But going with the SD-DVR leaves it in a island....isolated from the other connected receivers through MRV. Also, you lose the ability to watch HD only channels like HDNet. Even though your connected to an SDTV, you can still watch all HD content.

2. HD-DVRs can record two programs each. MRV does not affect this. With MRV.....you can, from your STD HD receiver, play back recorded shows and start recordings, and pause/rew/ff any programs recorded or being recorded. Also, you can watch any HD-DVR recorded programs on any other HD-DVR.

Did that help?

Jason

Yes, it helps:up

Thank you again:)

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)