Help! Can I connect a dvr receiver to a HD satellite?

Status
Please reply by conversation.

pixie1973

Original poster
Feb 3, 2009
Los Angeles
Greetings! I am wondering if it is possible to connect a dvr receiver to a HD satellite. I recently upgraded my Directv service from a dvr to HD programming. I have the HD receiver connected to my main tv in the living room but also had my bedroom tv connected via a video selector box so I could watch the feed in the bedroom. Since we upgraded to HD we have not been able to watch the feed in the bedroom as the receiver is now connected to the main TV via a HDMI cable. Is there a way to connect my old dvr receiver to the HD satellite? I'm sooo not tech-savy so any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance for any and all help. = )

Last edited:
Greetings! I am wondering if it is possible to connect a dvr receiver to a HD satellite. I recently upgraded my Directv service from a dvr to HD programming. I have the HD receiver connected to my main tv in the living room but also had my bedroom tv connected via a video selector box so I could watch the feed in the bedroom. Since we upgraded to HD we have not been able to watch the feed in the bedroom as the receiver is now connected to the main TV via a HDMI cable. Is there a way to connect my old dvr receiver to the HD satellite? I'm sooo not tech-savy so any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance for any and all help. = )
Your nomenclature makes your question difficult to answer. If what you want to do is have your SD DVR receive sat signals, yes, it's possible to have HD and SD receivers hooked up. In light of your admission of your level of tech-ability, I would strongly recommend you have DirecTV do this. it will likely cost you and you should have had it done when your new HD recvr was installed. If I have misunderstood your question I'm sorry.

Your question is a little confusing but If you're trying to only use one receiver to feed two tv's using a video switcher you can still do this as all the outputs on your new HD-DVR receiver are always active. You are using the HDMI for your main TV so use either Component (RED/Green/Blue) or Composite (Yellow for video & White/Red for audio) & run one of those into your video switcher & you should get the signal in your bedroom (though it wont be HD via almost all video switchers). If your Video switcher uses 75ohm coaxial for it's input/output interface then you will need to go to radio shack & purchase a 'composite to 75-ohm modulator' (don't think they sell component to 75ohm modulators but they might) for around $20 & hook that up to your switcher.

If you want HD in the bedroom & you want to spend a little extra money purchase enough Component cable to run from your HD receiver & into the bedroom & you will have HD there too. Throw in a RF capable remote & you can change the channel from your bedroom.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)