Help!! Can't Get HomePlug Working

The Harrington

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
May 3, 2006
NYC/Lehigh Valley, PA
I know HomePlug has been covered ad nauseum here on Satellite Guys and I have reviewed a number of the prior threads, many of which went right over my head. Was hoping someone may have had similar problem I am having and be able to offer quick answer. The goal here is to get the remote access working.

Right now I cannot get my 622 to connect to the internet. Can't get the 722 either but that one is connected to power strip so not really trying with that one. The 622 is connected into a wall outlet and the HomePlug 9650 is also connected to a wall outlet that I installed this morning. So new power strip, surge protectors or UPS devices involved. I then have the 9650 hooked up to my Linksys router.

The 9650 LED lights indicate it has power and ethernet connectivity but the "PLC Activity" LED is off. I have tried numerous times to run the Network Setup on the 622 but no matter what I do the Connection Status is "Not Connected". :(

I have tried the steps recommended by Dish, including resetting the modem and router, but nothing. I have tinkered with the HomePlug software and reset the device name to HomePlug as suggested in an old thread on this issue but still nothing. Is there something I am missing? Something I need to do with the HomePlug software or my router's setting? From reading the various threads it seems most people were able to do this without much hassle. Not the case with me.

Thanks in advance for anyone who can offer up any advice.

TH

Try connecting the Homeplug it to a different outlet. Mine only works when the receivers and homeplug are connected to outlets on the same power leg.

Try a different outlet in the basement. It doesn't have to be on the same circuit, just the same leg. When power comes into your house it comes in on two 110 volt legs or bus bars. The 110 volt circuits are then connected to one of these legs. You need to find an outlet on a circuit that is connected to the same leg.

I have two 722's that are connected to circuits on different power legs at my house. If I connect the Homeplug to any circuit on one leg, one of the receivers connects and if I connect it to a circuit on the other leg the other receiver connects, but I can never get them both to connect.

If it is the "circuit leg problem" you can resolve this by either purchasing an adaptor or by wiring it yourself.

What is needed is a high voltage, low Mfd capacitor going from one leg of the 220 volt circuit to the other. This will pass the high frequency signal from one leg to the other, but not the power. Example: X-10 PHASE COUPLER - STOP INTERMITTENT X10 PROBLEMS - eBay (item 160119208413 end time Jul-08-09 11:33:01 PDT) CAUTION: This is a highly dangerous installation unless you are capable!

The safer way is to use a specially built adaptor plug which goes into any 220 volt outlet...dryer or range (Make sure you get the right plug configuration since there are several). The are usually available where X-10 accessories are sold. Example: SignaLinc Plug-in Phase Coupler X10 (4816A2) - eBay (item 220284865046 end time Jul-19-09 11:27:38 PDT)

Did what others have suggested and installed a wireless bridge connected to a network switch so I can also hook my BluRay player up to internet for software upgrades, etc. So far, the remote access working beautifully. One question I have, though, is how do you change default password to access the account?? Wanna set it to something whole family can remember. Anyone know how to change it??