Help combining OTA with TV2 output

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

maximum

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Jun 1, 2004
Phoenix
I am trying to combine my OTA antenna with the TV2 output so I can watch local channels as well as the TV2 signal in other rooms in the house. I split the antenna to go to the main TV and then used another splitter/combiner to combine the TV2 output with the antenna. It worked fine and I could watch local channels as well as TV2 in other rooms in the house.

But, since the coax to the rest of the house is a long run with a 4-way splitter the signal to the other rooms was weak. So I bought a VHF/UHF/FM signal amplifier and connected it just before the 4-way splitter. Now the TV2 signal is really bad. If I disconnect the antenna from the combiner the problem goes away. If I don't use the amplifier the problem goes away but then I have to deal with grainy picture in the other rooms of the house.

Any idea why I can't combine the antenna and use the amplifier together?
Could it be that the amplifier is sending the TV2 output back up through the antenna?

maximum said:
I am trying to combine my OTA antenna with the TV2 output so I can watch local channels as well as the TV2 signal in other rooms in the house. I split the antenna to go to the main TV and then used another splitter/combiner to combine the TV2 output with the antenna. It worked fine and I could watch local channels as well as TV2 in other rooms in the house.

But, since the coax to the rest of the house is a long run with a 4-way splitter the signal to the other rooms was weak. So I bought a VHF/UHF/FM signal amplifier and connected it just before the 4-way splitter. Now the TV2 signal is really bad. If I disconnect the antenna from the combiner the problem goes away. If I don't use the amplifier the problem goes away but then I have to deal with grainy picture in the other rooms of the house.

Any idea why I can't combine the antenna and use the amplifier together?
Could it be that the amplifier is sending the TV2 output back up through the antenna?
I'm unclear on which things are hooked up where. You refer to a 4-way splitter, but not where it is in the mix.

I'm also unclear as to where you're combining the 2 signals (OTA & TV2).

Note that a splitter is NOT a combiner. They have different electrical characteristics. Also, not all splitters can handle UHF - what's the frequency ranges on ALL the devices you're using.

Yes, you're right to be concerned about the TV2 output possibly going back up the antenna. This is illegal and can lead to all sorts of trouble for you. An appropriate combiner is needed.

In summary, you CAN do what you want to do - we just have to get the right hardware going.

Diagram attached

Hi Simon
I attached a diagram showing where everything is. The combiner I'm using looks like a normal splitter but it says "Splitter/Combiner" on the case. I'm just connecting it like a splitter in reverse. I bet it does not block the signal from going back up the antenna.
What I don't understand is why it worked without the line amplifier.

I've been browsing to find a real combiner but all I've found so far are ones that work on channel 3 or 4. Do they make a combiner for UHF channels? If so, where is a good place to get one?

Attachments

• Diagram.gif
    Diagram.gif
    2.3 KB · Views: 325
Good diagram. I would put the amplifier next to the splitter/combiner, prior to the 'long cable run'. The way it sits now, you're amplifying all the noise induced over that 'long cable run'. That might be all it takes to get you running right.

Again, check the frequency ranges of the devices. Also try a different TV2 output channel.

I don't know offhand of a UHF combiner - they gotta be out there. However, the device DOES say 'combiner', so maybe it's got a 'one-way' aspect to it. Look closely and see if it's got more info - like a diagram printed on it.

An "if all else fails" solution would be to swap TV1 & TV2 purposes. Then you can use a TV3/4 combiner. You'd also need the UHF remote kit for TV1.

I first had the amplifier on the other end of the long cable run and it make the picture even worse. That's why I thought it might be going up the antenna, especially since disconnecting the antenna cleared up the problem.

I'm at work now so I'll have to check the frequency ranges and try different TV 2 outputs when I get home.

That's quite curious - I'm thinking that combiner is not the right thing to use here.

boba - I didn't know the Super Home Node was released yet. Any pics or other info available?

Problem Solved

I found the solution. Apparently the line amplifier doesn't like the antenna so I moved the amplifier next to the DVR and connected only the TV2 output to it. Then I put the combiner after the amp and it works great.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts