Help!? Directv tech says I cant uprgade to 5lnb

Status
Please reply by conversation.

NYRDiehardfan

Original poster
May 15, 2006
Branchburg, NJ
A Directv tech just left my house after I had ordered the upgrade in equipment to the 5lNB sat (slimline) and the hr20. I have a line sight for my current dish between two trees that are about 40 feet from house. I have a sigmal strength in the 90's. Well, the tech comes out and says that I will not be able to get the HD signals cause the sats are to the right of the 101 transponder. I asked him if he could move the dish from the back of the house (on roof) to the front of the house (still on roof) but it would still face same direction and might help in the angle. He said he didnt think so. He BELEIVED that he could only get 2 sat signals. I then asked him what about if he pole mounted it on the front of the house, say on a 5 foot pole to help get a line of sight over the top of the trees to the right. He said he didnt think it would work, but then said he couldnt so it because it would be a special order and he'd have to go to home depot, etc?

He then told me that he could install the 3lnb sat for me, but I wouldnt be able to get my locals in HD(which is ok cause I get that through basic cable). I asked if that would affect me getting the NFL Sunday ticket HD games or any of the new hd channels. He said he wasnt sure. HUH? So, I said no cause I didnt want a dish installed for HD that wouldnt let me use it for the NFL HD package, as well as all the new HD channels coming. So he just left without doing the install or without even seeing if he could get a signal from the front of the house.

Now what? Should I get a new tech out here or should I go with a private installagtion company that might charge me around $250 for an installation? Im in Branchburg, NJ. I would appreciate any feedback.

Now what? Should I get a new tech out here or should I go with a private installagtion company that might charge me around $250 for an installation? Im in Branchburg, NJ. I would appreciate any feedback.

Good call not accepting the 3-lnb.

Whether you get a privateer or another D* installer, it's still a custom install and it's still going to cost some $$$. I wouldn't rule-out $200 for the D* installer having to get materials, get on your roof.... the job is likely 2-3 hrs.

I would try the privateer route. He's more likely to do what the customer wants b/c he's looking for repeat customers & referral business. Also, you might consider a roof-mounted pole shorter than 5-feet. Would 3-feet suffice? some folks are not comfortable working on roofs.

Before you try anything, get someone to do a site survey, to make sure you can see all 5 satellites from the spot you want to mount your antenna. If you mount it without one, you may spend money mounting a pole that still will not work. You didn't say how me made his determination but he original installer should have done a site survey, before he even started working, if there was any question.

OK, thanks guys. Im waiting for a call back from the Directv installation people to speak kwith a supervisor about this. I guess I might have to try a custom install with a private company if it comes to it.

I'm confused. IF the installer could put up a 3lnb dish which needs line of site from 101 to 119 deg, Then why in the world would a 5lnb that needs to see from 99 to 119 be such a big deal. It is only 2 degrees and the dish is bigger to deal better with fade issues. Something does not smell right here. I think the guy did not want to do the work!

OK, thanks guys. Im waiting for a call back from the Directv installation people to speak kwith a supervisor about this. I guess I might have to try a custom install with a private company if it comes to it.

Let's be clear about something: you need a good site survey, and the tech should have proper instruments. But that just might reveal that you actually lack line-of-sight regardless of roof-mount etc. Also, this isn't the best time of year for a site survey since the trees in NJ don't have leaves at this time of year, so you might not detect summertime tree blockage.

FYI, when I had my AT-9 installed in CT the tech could not align it properly. It was mounted next to my prior 3-lnb dish on my roof. He turned the AT-9 180-degrees so it would not interfere with my old dish until another crew could align the AT-9. 2 days later the new crew came, and the first thing this joker does is look at the AT-9 (facing NORTH) and says: you have a tree blocking line-of-sight. I had to explain to him that my line-of-sight was 180-degrees from the AT-9. And this was the "premier alignment" crew for Halsted Comm.

I'm confused. IF the installer could put up a 3lnb dish which needs line of site from 101 to 119 deg, Then why in the world would a 5lnb that needs to see from 99 to 119 be such a big deal. It is only 2 degrees and the dish is bigger to deal better with fade issues. Something does not smell right here. I think the guy did not want to do the work!

Exactly. If you can pick up 101, 110 and 119 with a 3 LNB you aren't going to have a problem with the other 2 which are 99 and 103, just 2 degrees either side of 101. Could have a possible issue with 99 if that tree is right on the edge of your 101 view but other then that you should have no problem.

Sounds like a lazy installer to me that didn't want to do any work.

Exactly. If you can pick up 101, 110 and 119 with a 3 LNB you aren't going to have a problem with the other 2 which are 99 and 103, just 2 degrees either side of 101. Could have a possible issue with 99 if that tree is right on the edge of your 101 view but other then that you should have no problem.

Not exactly, i have MANY jobs where the phase 3 squeezed in but the AT9 wont, those 2 degrees as you say, means alot more in the field than in a forum.

Funny thing about trees.......they dont stand still for long, they grow taller, wider and not to mention how much they sway back and forth on windy days. :eek:

Cant speak for your installer, but if your a "marginal" ( work for now, but who knows in the spring or stormy weather ) install we DONT do it.

It may be a lazy installer, but without seeing the site it's impossible to tell for certain. The original installation may have been shaky, there may be trees or other obstruction right on the edge (or just blocking the edge) of the line-of-sight.

For instance, my AT-9 replaced a dish mounted on siding and looking past a corner of my house. The AT-9 line-of-sight would have been blocked by another part of my house, there was no question about it.

Agreed.

Seems to me the two degrees might make a lot of difference a million miles out, but should make much difference now in terms of the space between two trees 40 feet out....at least until the tress grow closer together :)

Wow. Thanks everyone for the conversation. As far as my setup goes, and I looking right at it outside as i type this, My current single LNB dish is pointed bewteen the trees that re about 40 feet from the house. The dish angle appears to be just at the top of the tree on the left and just below the top of the tree, that is to the right. What i dont get, is that the tech said he could try a 3lnb, but as many of you pointed out, if that would work, why not just try the 5lnb? All I want is for SOMEONE to get up on the roof and at least give it a shot. At least that will eliminate it.

As others have said, you really need a proper site survey done.

Maybe a chain saw could solve the problem.

Couldnt tell you how many times customers have done that while i was on site :eek: One even took the phone line off his house by dropping a tree on it. :what

Its really impossible for any of us on a forum to judge if your installer was right or wrong, and a qualified installer should never really need to go to your roof to do the site survey as a quality compass/inclinometer should tell you all thats needed right from the ground.

Get a second opinion from a DIFFERENT company. :up

Not exactly, i have MANY jobs where the phase 3 squeezed in but the AT9 wont, those 2 degrees as you say, means alot more in the field than in a forum.

Funny thing about trees.......they dont stand still for long, they grow taller, wider and not to mention how much they sway back and forth on windy days. :eek:

Cant speak for your installer, but if your a "marginal" ( work for now, but who knows in the spring or stormy weather ) install we DONT do it.

Maybe it's beyond the scope of this forum or even most satelite installers or dealers, but a handheld sighting compass which needs to be switched back and forth to the clinometer function, can easily result in a plus or minus 3-5 degree error.

I've checked a lot of installs with a surveyor's transit or theodolite, and found that it is ideal for problem line of sight situations. It's accurate to a tenth of a degree.

Well, here's an update.

Another tech came out today and walked around the house with me. I showed him where I thought it might work and he agreed with me. However, he stated to be 100% sure, I might want to wait until spring time when all the leaves are back so I wouldnt be stuck with a two year comittment for nothing. Man, this guy seemed a little better. We walked to the front of the house and he suggested that it might have to be put on the PEAK of the roof, facing the back (As I had told the other guy.) He had his compass on him and pointed it with me there to show me where it would have to face. It looked like it might just make it, however, I wont fullu know until the spring. So, again, I chose to wait.

At least this guy was open to conversation. BTW, the size of the trees in my line of site are about double the size of my colonial style house. Still, the tech said it would definatley work now, but the concern was the leaves returning. He also mentioned that the dish was gonna have to be secured in a "special order" type deal. He said its about 40 lbs in weight. I asked him if this was the new slimline one and he said it was. Does that make sense?

Well, here's an update.

Another tech came out today and walked around the house with me. I showed him where I thought it might work and he agreed with me. However, he stated to be 100% sure, I might want to wait until spring time when all the leaves are back so I wouldnt be stuck with a two year comittment for nothing. Man, this guy seemed a little better. We walked to the front of the house and he suggested that it might have to be put on the PEAK of the roof, facing the back (As I had told the other guy.) He had his compass on him and pointed it with me there to show me where it would have to face. It looked like it might just make it, however, I wont fullu know until the spring. So, again, I chose to wait.

At least this guy was open to conversation. BTW, the size of the trees in my line of site are about double the size of my colonial style house. Still, the tech said it would definatley work now, but the concern was the leaves returning. He also mentioned that the dish was gonna have to be secured in a "special order" type deal. He said its about 40 lbs in weight. I asked him if this was the new slimline one and he said it was. Does that make sense?

You wouldn't be. D* is really good about that and they understand that kind of thing. I had a HD receiver and HD TV. The roommate that had it moved and I told them the situation and they let me drop the receiver off of the service and the committment that it entailed.

Code:
                     North Branch, NJ 08876
          Latitude 40° 32.964'N Longitude 74° 38.754'W

Sat Name Sat Lng Az(t) Az(m)   El  Skew
----------------------------------------------------------------
>>>>>>> Remember most DBS Dishes have 22.5 Degree offset <<<<<<<

DirecTV Spaceway 2   99.2W 215.1 229.3 36.8 115.9
                        DirecTV 2  100.8W 217.1 231.3 36.0 117.3
                  DirecTV 1R/4S/8  101.0W 217.3 231.5 35.9 117.4
               DirecTV Spaceway 1  102.8W 219.5 233.7 34.9 118.9
                        DirecTV 6  109.5W 227.0 241.2 31.1 123.7
                        DirecTV 5  110.0W 227.5 241.7 30.8 124.1
                       DirecTV 7S  119.0W 236.4 250.6 25.0 129.3

A Directv tech just left my house after I had ordered the upgrade in equipment to the 5lNB sat (slimline) and the hr20. I have a line sight for my current dish between two trees that are about 40 feet from house. I have a sigmal strength in the 90's. Well, the tech comes out and says that I will not be able to get the HD signals cause the sats are to the right of the 101 transponder. I asked him if he could move the dish from the back of the house (on roof) to the front of the house (still on roof) but it would still face same direction and might help in the angle. He said he didnt think so. He BELEIVED that he could only get 2 sat signals. I then asked him what about if he pole mounted it on the front of the house, say on a 5 foot pole to help get a line of sight over the top of the trees to the right. He said he didnt think it would work, but then said he couldnt so it because it would be a special order and he'd have to go to home depot, etc?

He then told me that he could install the 3lnb sat for me, but I wouldnt be able to get my locals in HD(which is ok cause I get that through basic cable). I asked if that would affect me getting the NFL Sunday ticket HD games or any of the new hd channels. He said he wasnt sure. HUH? So, I said no cause I didnt want a dish installed for HD that wouldnt let me use it for the NFL HD package, as well as all the new HD channels coming. So he just left without doing the install or without even seeing if he could get a signal from the front of the house.

I have the same problem. You can forget about the D* installers actually giving it a try. I went through 5 of them. I'm going to wait until they offer stuff I can't get with the 3lnb before contacting a local installer. Chances are the D* installer didn't want to do a hard job if they others on the slate. Also keep in mind they do have make sure it will work for two years.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)