help estimate my monthly bill

Status
Please reply by conversation.

david in texas

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Jan 5, 2005
Hello all,

I am thinking up dumping Dish for DirectTV and I was hoping to get someone to help estimate my monthly bill.

The equipment I need from DirectTV is a HD-DVR with the Total Choice Plus package. I then need at least two more DVR's (SD) or a dual tuner DVR and finally just a single receiver.

I will also have HBO

FWIW If possible I will hook an OTA into the back of the HD box.

Thanks
David

Go to directtv.com. be aware that direct does not offer two tuner receivers for two room set up thus costing 6 dollars for each room beyond the first and 5.99 for each dvr. I was looking at 30 dollars a month just for equipment in a 5 room set up that I pay less than half that now with dish.

The multi- tuner RF line Dish uses sucks; having a receiver in each room directly connected to the TV is the best bet and worth the extra cost.

charper1 said:
The multi- tuner RF line Dish uses sucks; having a receiver in each room directly connected to the TV is the best bet and worth the extra cost.

You got that right. The first room is not to bad, but that second room feed with the coaxial cable looks horrible with all of the pixelation. It is worth the $5.00 a month for the extra box and better PQ.

If you need an hd-dvr, I suggest waiting until the HR20 is available. There's no reason to be caught on the wrong side of the mpeg4 transition.

GeorgeLV said:
If you need an hd-dvr, I suggest waiting until the HR20 is available. There's no reason to be caught on the wrong side of the mpeg4 transition.
I disagree. Why wait? He is going to get his locals OTA. Plus D* has said that they will upgrade everyone at no or little to no cost which at this rate he wont need to do for a couple years. Also most people prefer Tivo's interface to other set top DVR's.

david in texas said:
Hello all,

I am thinking up dumping Dish for DirectTV and I was hoping to get someone to help estimate my monthly bill.

The equipment I need from DirectTV is a HD-DVR with the Total Choice Plus package. I then need at least two more DVR's (SD) or a dual tuner DVR and finally just a single receiver.

I will also have HBO

FWIW If possible I will hook an OTA into the back of the HD box.

Thanks
David

TC Plus - $49.99
Lease fee - $4.99
Lease fee - $4.99
DVR service - $5.99
HBO - $12.00

Total monthly charges - $77.96 + tax (~$4)

Equipment wise, you'll get your basic receiver and the SD DVR for free (after rebate), plus the install free. The only thing you'll have to pay up front for is the HD Tivo (costs vary, figure around $400?). PS. All DirecTivo's are dual tuner (SD and HD). The only single tuner Tivo's are the stand alone units (which can be used with cable, dish, whatever you want.... and the monthly subscription fees on those are much higher than the fee D* passes along @ only $5.99 total.

Last edited:
Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)