Help! Expensive Error Message!

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

just2busy76

Original poster
Apr 3, 2008
Hello All!!
I am in desperate need of some expertise here!
My brother is bedridden after having ACL surgery last week and now his reciever in his bedroom isn't working.
Here is the situation - and i'll try to put it in a nutshell.
He has a Vip622 dvr as tv1 in the living room (hd).
He has a black single reciever box (no card) at the tv2 location in the bedroom.
He pays for the additional reciever in the bedroom.
The setup in the bedroom should be really simple. He only has a TV and the box.
Since he has had to stay in the bed, he wanted to hook up a playstation.
It is a pretty decent sized entertainment center, so I had to unscrew the connections - when I went to screw the dish coaxial into the back of the box (facing the back - the far left connection).
Then I connected the TV coaxial to the tv out connection in the back of the box.
Here's where the problem starts. I get a dish error screen 002 signal temporarily lost - on channel 3.
He was hooked up to recieve on channel 73. Flip to 73, fuzzy screen.
Remote will physically turn the tv on off, but will not work the satallite at all. Batteries are fine - they actually happened to be replaced yesterday morning.
I called the tech line (at around 9:30pm) - after talking to 3 techs - going step through step, running tests, testing the remote, etc. I am now getting a flashing screen. I see the guide at the top (set on QVC channel) but no picture or sound and then it flashes to an error screen that says a mult-switch problem has been detected.
The 3rd tech girl, at midnight, finally said she'd have to send someone out. FRIDAY - was the earliest and they'd charge $99.00 to come out.

PLEASE ADVISE ME ON HOW TO FIX THIS ISSUE! I am nearly at wits end.

MY brother is stuck now with a TV2 that won't work (TV1 is fine - but it is on the other end of the house!) and a huge fee on top of it.
This isn't my first time around the block hooking things up. I have a dual tuner at home and BOTH of my TV's have DVD players, video games, etc, with multi-switchers attached.
I can't believe that you can't unscrew your connections and plug them back in, without being charged for it! what if you buy any new equipment - or need to move your entertainment center? I have undone mine with no conseqences.
Again, I need the gurus!!! PLease help me, help my laid-up brother! lol

I was sure that I did. Really only 2 places to go, right? the Satellite in on the back of the box and the TV out.
I am open to any suggesions! lol $99 isn't looking too great to me! lol

what is the "black single reciever box (no card)" for?
doesn't the 622 output to two tv's?
that's what I asked - I couldn't understand why he had it.
But, he said that when it was installed the installer said he needed it and he's being charged extra for it.
If this is some type of installer issue, should he have to pay the extra $99 fee?
I don't have HD at home myself. Does this have to do with the fact that the HD is one tv but not the other? That was my only conclusion.
I guess I am mostly frustrated with the issue of the money to fix it. I mean, if I had of thrown it against the wall - or went to the satellite outside and unhooked it, then that 's one thing.
But, I really feel like you should be able to simply unplug/unscrew the cables and then put them back on without having a fee. If the equipment (which is fairly new) was so bad that it messed up just with that simple project, then that seems like a bad product.
So frustrated! ARgggg
(Thanks for all of the replies! Keep 'em coming!)

I was sure that I did. Really only 2 places to go, right? the Satellite in on the back of the box and the TV out.
I am open to any suggesions! lol $99 isn't looking too great to me! lol

Could you be more specific as to what is hooked to the bedroom tv? Black box does not help much. Sounds like you are using the coax connections, if so there are more than two on any Dish receiver. Single tuner would have one satellite input, dual tuner would have two, whether or not it is an HD receiver, there would be an antenna input as well as a remote antenna input should you be able to use a UHF remote. You could also label the lines you are using so not to confuse them. How many lines are we dealing with and which line is hooked into which input?

Using ch73 sounds like a connection to tuner 2 of the dual tuner. Ch3 sounds like the output of the "black box" probably a 311 single tuner receiver. Just guess work we really need a better description of what he has especially any A/V connections (red white & yellow?)

Ok guys!
Thanks for the questions to point me in the right direction.
Sorry for the vagueness of "Black box" I was at work and wasn't sure of the number.
The Reciever in the bedroom is a black dish reciever with 311 in the lower left corner under the slot where the card reader is.
ok - in the bedroom there is just a phillips TV (with just the coaxial connection - no av hookups -older tv -not dvd ready) and that black311 box. Nothing else. he is not running any av cables. He has a vcr, but it wasn't hooked up before the "mess up".
The back of the 311 box, has AV outlets, but nothing in there.
The TV in the living room does have the wireless antenna attached (like my dual reciever has at home).
Right now the coax running from the floor (the satallite coax) is into the back of the 311 where it says satallite in. (Running left to right on the back of the box - you have the satellite in coax outlet, a svideo outlet (nothing there); red white yellow av (nothing there); tv set out coax outlet; tv antenne in coax outlet (nothing there)
The coax running from the TV is going into the "tv set out" coax outlet.

What else do you guys need to know?
I'll provide as much info as I can!

Is the coax running from the floor into the back of the 311 coming from the dish or from the main receiver in the living room?
Connect the cable directly to the tv and try to tune to ch73 if you get TV2s picture it probably isn't connected to the dish. If you don't get 73 reconnect to the 311 satellite in jack. Go to ch3 and see if you have a picture from the 311(probably a dish logo). On the 311 remote push menu 6-1-1 and see if there is a signal strength. From there if there is a signal strength follow on screen instructions.:)

Just2busy, it sounds like you dropped a cable and didn't hook it back up.

Was he able to watch TV with the 311 and also watch TV2 signal from the VIP622 in the living room?

If so, then there should be 2 input cables. The one from the living room VIP goes to the Antenna/Cable In on the back of the 311. The other one (which is the one I think you dropped) is actually hooked to the dish. That connects to the satellite in. Then you have the short jumper cable that runs from the TV out on the 311 to the input on the TV.

That way, with TV set to channel 3 and the 311 turned on, he can change channels and watch the 311. Turn the 311 off and it should pass the antenna in signal through to the TV. In that mode, the TV should be tuned to 73 and then use the RF remote for the VIP622 in the LR(the number 2 will be on the bottom of the remote).

First question: In that bedroom, what color is the remote that he usually uses for changing satellite channels.

If its black, then you need that 311.

If the remote is silver/grey, you need to just take the coax from the wall, hook it direct to the TV set and remove the black box and deactivate it. Put TV on 73 as before and check remote for proper operation.

No offense, but it sounds like you think you know what you are doing but don't, which makes it harder to trouble shoot. Despite "doing this stuff all the time" you need to be more descriptive about what you are trying to accomplish, what is coming from where, etc. For example, how was he trying to hook up the X-Box? Another question: rather than pay all that money for an installer, why not pay for a new cheap TV from Westinghouse or something that has more inputs? Just a thought…

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts