Help finding Galaxy 28

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Status
Please reply by conversation.

Tim Mostad

Original poster
Sep 16, 2005
I have spent a ridiculous amount of time trying to find Galaxy 28. I have a 2.7M solid dish with a BSC621-2 lnb, a GBOX 3000, a Neusat 6000 which I use for blind scanning since my Viewsat 9000HD doesn't actually do blind scan -- despite supposedly being capable.

I can see AMC 3 and Nimiq 1 (at least I think it is Nimiq 1) and I can definitely see Galaxy 25. Yet the spacing for G 28 doesn't seem right. My spacing is something like 31 counts for 2 degrees in the center part of the arc however I am located at 45 N, 122.6 W so 89 W is towards the end of the arc. It doesn't seem too surprising that maybe the dish movement is at the point of non-linearity and maybe spacing is becoming more like 22 in this range. Does that make any sense? Still even with apparently different spacing, I can't find Galaxy 28.

I have purchased a dmx741u (still in the mail) to get the advertised extra 5db and the 22KHz switching assuming it might work better behind the GBOX for switching C-band. Maybe this will help?

Any hints that might help me find G28 would be appreciated!!

Also anyone who personally has an STB with PVR and an HDMI connector that ACTUALLY DOES blindscan, I would love to hear from you! I am very disappointed with many aspects of the Viewsat 9000HD. The Neusat is set up so much better for fta that I am stuck using it to find what I am looking for then switching over to the Viewsat and manually entering the tps. Very frustrating!

where are you located?

I can get the Pentagon channel on G28 no issues on a 6 footer here in Minnesota.

I just lock 91 in then slowly move the dish east until 89 comes in

where are you located?

I can get the Pentagon channel on G28 no issues on a 6 footer here in Minnesota.

I just lock 91 in then slowly move the dish east until 89 comes in

He's in Oregon, about Salem from the coordinates he gave. Excuse me, outside Silverton.

89W is the start of where things get tricky over here. I can't comment on getting G28 with a BUD since I stopped at 91W with the one that has the motor mounted on the West-side of the dish.

I have spent a ridiculous amount of time trying to find Galaxy 28. I have a 2.7M solid dish with a BSC621-2 lnb, a GBOX 3000, a Neusat 6000 which I use for blind scanning since my Viewsat 9000HD doesn't actually do blind scan -- despite supposedly being capable.

I can see AMC 3 and Nimiq 1 (at least I think it is Nimiq 1) and I can definitely see Galaxy 25. Yet the spacing for G 28 doesn't seem right. My spacing is something like 31 counts for 2 degrees in the center part of the arc however I am located at 45 N, 122.6 W so 89 W is towards the end of the arc. It doesn't seem too surprising that maybe the dish movement is at the point of non-linearity and maybe spacing is becoming more like 22 in this range. Does that make any sense? Still even with apparently different spacing, I can't find Galaxy 28.

I have purchased a dmx741u (still in the mail) to get the advertised extra 5db and the 22KHz switching assuming it might work better behind the GBOX for switching C-band. Maybe this will help?

Any hints that might help me find G28 would be appreciated!!

Also anyone who personally has an STB with PVR and an HDMI connector that ACTUALLY DOES blindscan, I would love to hear from you! I am very disappointed with many aspects of the Viewsat 9000HD. The Neusat is set up so much better for fta that I am stuck using it to find what I am looking for then switching over to the Viewsat and manually entering the tps. Very frustrating!
Could you tell us what channel you're after on 89W/G28?
Are you just trying to get it to track the arc?

Thanks for the responses. Problem solved thanks to "The List!". I entered the first "Strong Transponder" tp and moved the BUD. Nada. Then I tried the 2nd and voila! it came in within a few counts of where I expected it to be. Thanks to whoever maintains the List!. Lyngsat is helpful but the List! got the job done.

What I want the satellite for is to get my alma mater's football games which are shown every Saturday. I know that the BUD needs some tuning. The mast isn't quite plumb and/or I may need to check that I am pointing perfectly south. It is kind of hard to tell for sure. You can't use a compass near the mount due to the steel. I have tried sighting from a distance and I am close but think I could be closer.

Any tips as to how to get a BUD pointed absolutely dead south (polar not magnetic of course)? It is a solid dish and so looking through it is not possible. I was thinking of clamping a 12 foot 2x6 to the mount then sight down it with a compass. This would provide an absolute reference to the dish but get me far enough away that a compass would work. Souund reasonable?

What I want the satellite for is to get my alma mater's football games which are shown every Saturday.

griz fan huh? ;)
hopefully they stay on 89W all year. Last year they were on 105W all year but switched transponders a couple times within the season

Thanks for the responses. Problem solved thanks to "The List!". I entered the first "Strong Transponder" tp and moved the BUD. Nada. Then I tried the 2nd and voila! it came in within a few counts of where I expected it to be. Thanks to whoever maintains the List!. Lyngsat is helpful but the List! got the job done.

What I want the satellite for is to get my alma mater's football games which are shown every Saturday. I know that the BUD needs some tuning. The mast isn't quite plumb and/or I may need to check that I am pointing perfectly south. It is kind of hard to tell for sure. You can't use a compass near the mount due to the steel. I have tried sighting from a distance and I am close but think I could be closer.

Any tips as to how to get a BUD pointed absolutely dead south (polar not magnetic of course)? It is a solid dish and so looking through it is not possible. I was thinking of clamping a 12 foot 2x6 to the mount then sight down it with a compass. This would provide an absolute reference to the dish but get me far enough away that a compass would work. Souund reasonable?

I'm no expert on the subject, but I've had my best luck centering/squaring the mount. Then I began peaking on 121W Ku.

I know our True South Satellite is supposed to be 123W.
Some how after peaking on 121W and getting the elevation set, The BUD would track the arc from 139W to 91W on both C and Ku.

But read Geo-Orbit to get it right using an experts opinion.
Footprints by Dish Size - Adjusting the Polar Mount for Prime Focus Antenna - C/Ku-Band Satellite Systems - Tuning, Tracking, Azimuth, Elevation, Declination Angles, F/D Ratio, Focal Distance, Inclinometer, LNB/Feedhorn Assembly, Actuator Assembly, C

griz fan huh? ;)
hopefully they stay on 89W all year. Last year they were on 105W all year but switched transponders a couple times within the season

You know the Griz? Cool! I grew up in Missoula and am a season ticket holder. I only get to see maybe one game a year in person. The rest of the time they go to my mother and brother who couldn't afford to go otherwise. My whole family tailgates before the game. Man I miss that but getting to watch the games on fta is at least a salve on the wound.

Yes I hope that they stick to one satellite since it reduces my game day anxiety. :)

You know the Griz?
been watching their games for the last 3-4 years now. Love seeing the scenery outside the stadium there. Looks very peaceful. Would love to get out there to "Big Sky Country" some day
Man I miss that but getting to watch the games on fta is at least a salve on the wound.
lots of griz fans see the games around the country so you're not alone.
Yes I hope that they stick to one satellite since it reduces my game day anxiety. :)

you do know that the griz post the coordinates of the game on Thursdays usually on their site? That is nice so you know where they are gonna be. With the alumni all across the country they (KPAX/Montana News Station) try to use the same satellite each week

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts