Help getting and installing FTA satellite equipment

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Greebo

Original poster
Jul 19, 2009
Bellevue NE
Hi, my name is Brian, Irish guy that moved over here about 3 yrs ago, the one thing I really miss from back home is my sports - rugby, gaa, hurling, snooker, rally and F1...I can't seem to find anything like that on US tv, even the upper channels. I was hoping there might be someone who could help me set up a satellite and receiver, just to get the Free To Air channels from across the waters, hoping they might have the sports programs I am use to. I will admit this straight of the bat, I'm a complete n00b with this stuff. But to give you an idea, I'm mainly looking to get the fta channels from Ireland and England as they show the sports I'm use to but I don't know what equipment I would need to buy, where to get it, or how to install it so I'm getting the stuff I'm looking for. I guess I'm hoping to find someone local who is interested in maybe sitting down with a beer or coffe and giving me the satellite 101 class so I have a better idea of what I need to get my hands on, a ball park figure on the likely costs, stuff like that.

Can anyone help or recommend who I should speak to for further help?

Thank you

Sadly, I'd say that you can't reach them from here. It's a line of sight issue. There might be some IPTV possibilities, but I suspect you're going to have to learn to put up with our sports offerings.

Where you from in Ireland, Brian? I have ancestors from Waterford.
:)

Thank you both for your fast response.

USDownlink - Yes I've looked into Setanta, but unfortunately there are 2 problems with that station, one is I can only get it if I am prepared to get rid of my digital cable and go with Dish Network, once I do that I loose my package discount and not only will I have to pay for DN but I still have to pay an addittional monthly charge for that 1 extra channel...The alternative method is to subscribe to Setanta via the computer, and watch it through my computer, which to be honest I don't really have a problem doing, but since there is a 6hr time difference between here and there I need some way of turning my pc into a dvr as well before it would be worth my while doing it that way, otherwise I would miss most of the leagues I followed back home simply by being either in work while the games are on or in bed.

brentb636 - I'm from Dublin myself, but I've been to Waterford many times, it's about a 3 - 4 hr drive from there and I love it, tons of places worth seeing there...feel free to give me a shout if you ever plan on heading over that way and I'll give you a few places worth checking out.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)