Help getting Canadian tv in the states

west_pa_guy

Original poster
May 9, 2008
Can someone here give me some advice on getting Canadian tv in the states? At first I thought we could just add a package to Dish or Direct to receive Canadian channels, but after finding this site, I guess I was wrong. I read some of the posts on here, and I was wondering what my best way to go would be, my wife is Canadian and my sister-in-law lives near Toronto, so could I use her address to do this, or would I still have to go through a broker? If anyone could help me out, it would be much appreciated!! Thanks in advance!

Thanks for the quick reply! Yes, we are both in the same time zone, we live in northwestern Pa and she lives near Toronto, almost directly north of us. I'm pretty much a moron when it comes to this kind of thing, but I am assuming that as long as I used her address, the dish location wouldn't matter? Thanks again!!

right it wouldnt, unless in sw usa(they have trouble getting all high defintion channels there) but the time of the guide would matter but not since your in same timezone

You could sign up with BellExpresVu and have it installed at your sisters house (unless they will let you do a self install).

Pack up the receiver and dish and ship it to you and install yourself.

Send your sister the monthly payment to be made using her address.

The Nimiq satellites cover the US (all the way down to Florida, perhaps for the Canadian snow birds in their RVs). I get great signal in MD so PA will be no problem.

Don't order pay per view as the receiver may insist on calling home using a phone line and shut down if it can't. I don't know if they would care if the receiver called from a US number or if they trace incoming calls.

When Nimiq1 launched years ago, I pointed a E* dish at the sat and the receiver picked up the program guide and one FTA channel. Now I expect you might only get the program guide. E* made receivers for BellExpresVu so no surprise they were compatable. However conditional access (customer provisioning) is done thru BellExpresVu.

Can someone here give me some advice on getting Canadian tv in the states? At first I thought we could just add a package to Dish or Direct to receive Canadian channels, but after finding this site, I guess I was wrong. I read some of the posts on here, and I was wondering what my best way to go would be, my wife is Canadian and my sister-in-law lives near Toronto, so could I use her address to do this, or would I still have to go through a broker? If anyone could help me out, it would be much appreciated!! Thanks in advance!

Should work out with your sister-in-law address being used.
Have your sister-in-law get a Bell Express Vu system installed and activated at her house. Have her pay each month by direct billing to your Visa or Mastercard number. No address checking is done for credit card. As long as the money is there they are happy.
You will be able to follow account from the internet.
Changes or questions with account can be done by you over internet or telephone.
I almost forgot, take the system down and take to PA.

as noted above if you can use an address in Canada by all means do it.

Starchoice lets you call from the states using their toll free number...Bell does not

Pay per View Can Be Done using VoIP...

Hi:

With relatives in Canada, one way to save on long-distance phone charges and have a phone link for you BEV receiver is to sign up for a Canadian VoIP package (say, Vonage Canada or Primus).

We use Primus and have a Toronto number, our BEV account is registered with a relative near Toronto and that phone number - sat receiver is plugged into the VoIP circuit with a jack splitter, so it can "call home" and get software updates, we can use PPV, and BEV is happy to talk to us when we call and our number comes up on their call display...

Vonage Canada is probably able to provide a similar service (i.e. being able to specify which area code to use) , and there MAY be free calling between Vonage USA and Vonage Canada customers - that I can't say... I do know other friends and relatives subscribe to Primus like us and our calls to/from them fall under the monthly flat rate...

Hope this helps!

i live in wilkes-barre pa and have starchoice-- i did not want to go thru bev's hassles namely having to have the receiver plugged into a phone line and simsubs and worrying if bev wqas going to find out if i was in the usa, *c let's you
a receiver in the usa, ie as a second home.

i did not want to go thru bev's hassles namely having to have the receiver plugged into a phone line and simsubs
Is there some new BEV reciever that has to be plugged into a phone line like maybe a PVR or something? Just wondering because maybe eventuly I will get a new rcvr and I want to make sure i dont get one that has to be plugged in to the phone. Thanks.

StarChoice programming

I also have DirecTV in southern Indiana. I would like to supplement it with StarChoice programming so that I may get Canadian programming here (CBC, etc.). Is there any way to get this w/o knowing someone in Canada and using their address?

The only problem is, Starchoice will not simply ship out a dish. If you needed an install using the Toronto address they would not allow you to self install since they obviously have a technician in the area. You would have to already have a dish via a 3rd party vendor. Install it, get a receiver, and call with your sisters address to hook up. Starchoice will not accept US phone numbers or mailing addresses on accounts. Pre-authorized payments are your best bet.

For technical issues you will be able to call them, however service calls obviously will not be able to be booked. Any receivers replaced under warranty would have to be shipped to a Canadian address.

If they find out your using service exclusively in the States they will disconnect your account.

That being said, I'll trade you my Canadian TV for your American TV in a heartbeat.