Help getting new TV in future

classic cartoon fan

SatelliteGuys Guru
Original poster
Aug 3, 2006
Preble County, Ohio
I was looking into getting a new tv around the 46" size sometime in the coming months. I prefer Plasmas over LCDs b/c I think they have a better picture.

We do have a little bit of background lighting going on in our living room. I have Directv and will be watching movies, sports,DVDs, (later Blu-Ray) and occasional video games.

I personally like the Samsung Plasmas and the Sony XBR LCds as my choices, but I'm not sure what everbody else recommends, so any help would be appreciated.

Or should I wait for these new TVs coming out by Samsung and others. I'm just not sure what is best to do.

Thanks

Better to ask this question when you are ready to buy. Things are changing and there are a few technologies that should be coming on line that may be of interest. I also caution against making any pre-choices based on models that you're not actively considering. Sometimes they actually screw things up from one model to the next.

Plasma TVs may become a pariah due to their relatively high power requirement (~400 watts in the 46" class) and relatively heavy weight.

Sammy 650 series plasma is a good buy. I have the 50" Panny 85u and love it, can pick it up on amazon right now for $1500.

You can get good deals now, but these models will be gone in a few mo's and the new ones will be out and more pricey for the first few mo's.

Out of the 650 and the 85u, Id recommend buying a Panny 800u for the THX color mode.

[ame="http://www.amazon.com/Panasonic-Viera-TH-46PZ85U-46-Inch-Plasma/dp/B00142MUEC/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=electronics&qid=1231618893&sr=8-1"]Amazon.com: Panasonic Viera TH-46PZ85U 46-Inch 1080p Plasma HDTV: Electronics[/ame]
$1275

[ame="http://www.amazon.com/Samsung-PN50A650-50-Inch-1080p-Plasma/dp/B0015PFUO0/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=electronics&qid=1231618951&sr=1-1"]Amazon.com: Samsung PN50A650 50-Inch 1080p Plasma HDTV with RED Touch of Color: Electronics[/ame]
$1575

[ame="http://www.amazon.com/Panasonic-Viera-TH-50PZ85U-1080p-Plasma/dp/B00142MUEM/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=electronics&qid=1231618992&sr=1-1"]Amazon.com: Panasonic Viera TH-50PZ85U 50" 1080p Plasma HDTV: Electronics[/ame]
$1499

And my FAV:

[ame="http://www.amazon.com/Panasonic-Viera-TH-46PZ800U-46-Inch-Plasma/dp/B00142MUEW/ref=sr_1_10?ie=UTF8&s=electronics&qid=1231619055&sr=1-10"]Amazon.com: Panasonic Viera TH-46PZ800U 46-Inch 1080p Plasma HDTV: Electronics[/ame]
$2608

I dont feel the 800u is worth that much of a difference, I recommend a 46" or 50" 85u with an ISF calibration.

"in the coming months."

A lot can happen in a few months. Watch the announcements out of CES to get some idea of coming products. Set a strict budget, and stick to it. Decide if a different technology 52" is worth more to you than a given technology 46", if prices are about equal. Online or B&M? Worth it to wait and buy at a holiday sale, say - 4th of July? Better to buy latest and greatest or save a few bucks by buying the previous model after the latest and greatest hits the streets?

Or decide to go cheap as possible for the given size, planning on replacing in 2-3 years as you learn more about what is more important to you? Or buy the best and keep it the longest?

Perhaps it is important to remember- whatever you buy, you almost certainly will replace it within 10 years. Too many flaws in today's products, too many new improvements and new technologies coming, and at (eventually) lower prices.

I was just pondering this question to myself earlier today, so funny you asked. I would like to buy a new TV within the next few months myself. I was thinking if I buy the current models, I would probably save some money compared to the new models coming soon, but I wonder what technology these new models will offer that the current models do not offer? I'm looking for something between 57"-60" so I will probably go the plasma route because they seem to be cheaper and more readily available than the bigger LCD's. And yes I know, I can get a DLP much cheaper, but I really don't care for the DLP's much, so that's not an option.

So for anyone that was at CES or someone that's been reading up on the "coming soon" models, what technology will I miss out on if I go ahead and buy a current model plasma instead of waiting?

The new models will have improvements, but youll end up waiting till summer or so to enjoy pricing like you have now. I paid $2600 for my tv when it came out last April, now is $1500 :)

The panny and sammy plasmas that are one their way out are darn good, and so are the sammy lcd's like the 650.

Plasma TVs may become a pariah due to their relatively high power requirement (~400 watts in the 46" class) and relatively heavy weight.

Plasma's are getting much better on power consumption issues (like any electronics product). The Sammys were notorious power hogs, but already in Panny's 2008 model line, the 800u consumes less than the 85u. I would expect the 2009 models to be even better. If the OP isn't someone who leaves the TV on all day when not watching, increase in power consumption with a plasma will be nominal over a CRT or LCD. Leaving a bunch on (incandescent) lights on in empty rooms uses (wastes) much more power.

My recommendation is to get whats available when your ready to buy. If your going to hold on to your money and wait for the latest and greatest, your going to be holding on to your money forever because with the way technology evolves you'll never have the latest and greatest very long!

Plasma's are getting much better on power consumption issues (like any electronics product). The Sammys were notorious power hogs, but already in Panny's 2008 model line, the 800u consumes less than the 85u. I would expect the 2009 models to be even better. If the OP isn't someone who leaves the TV on all day when not watching, increase in power consumption with a plasma will be nominal over a CRT or LCD. Leaving a bunch on (incandescent) lights on in empty rooms uses (wastes) much more power.

Power is one thing I will never consider when buying a tv. Im not going to buy a car I hate just because it gets good gas mileage.

My recommendation is to get whats available when your ready to buy. If your going to hold on to your money and wait for the latest and greatest, your going to be holding on to your money forever because with the way technology evolves you'll never have the latest and greatest very long!

Adding to that , you need to STOP looking once you buy. There will be new sets out shortly after you buy yours and looking at the new features leads to a constant cycle of buying and selling. It's kind of like needing to have the current model car.

You never mentioned a price range in your original post. Although the Pannys and Sammys are good mid price performers, most people will agree that the Pioneer Kuro sets are the absolute best. They cost twice as much, but IMHO are worth it.

Id say what youll see with plasma, is better CR's, less power and thinner. Pioneer always has the best blacks, Panny always beats Samsung in blacks, but Samsung wins in color accuracy. You can fix the color easier than you can add a higher contrast ratio, which is why ive always went with Panny plasmas

I can say, the 2008 panny's CR increase was very good over the 2007, dunno if the 2009 will be the same. The 2008 CR is very good, so you will get good blacks regardless.

I do like the Kuro's, and they are the best, I just think when you compare prices, the black increase is not worth it to me (thats something you have to consider)

After letting Gregg Loewen(user on this site) calibrate mine, I have no complaints and no plan to replace this tv anytime soon.

As stated above, once you buy, dont have upgraditis, because the next years model will always be better. Doesnt mean yours isnt great already.

Sony XBR5 LCD is still a great tv, regardless of the fact they are up to XBR20 now :)

I can say, the 2008 panny's CR increase was very good over the 2007, dunno if the 2009 will be the same. The 2008 CR is very good, so you will get good blacks regardless.
Contrast Ratio is a dangerous thing. If you look hard, you'll discover that they've changed the scale this year similar to what was done with many LCOS projection TVs and projectors about four or five years ago. It is now called "dynamic contrast ratio" which in practice is very similar to the projection TVs using adjustable lamp apertures to reduce the overall light in dark scenes. You can watch this technology at work if you stare into the lens of an LCOS (and some LCD) projectors. There is a mechanical aperture just like that of a camera that is opening and closing with the relative brightness of the scene.

When this comes into play, some of the advantages of plasma technology temporarily go away in the interest of a blacker black.

My philosophy is this. If and when you find an incredible buy (and having done basic research), don't do any more thinking than it takes to whip out your wallet. I've done this twice at Fry's and have never looked back) or forward.

Contrast Ratio is a dangerous thing. If you look hard, you'll discover that they've changed the scale this year similar to what was done with many LCOS projection TVs and projectors about four or five years ago. It is now called "dynamic contrast ratio" which in practice is very similar to the projection TVs using adjustable lamp apertures to reduce the overall light in dark scenes. You can watch this technology at work if you stare into the lens of an LCOS (and some LCD) projectors. There is a mechanical aperture just like that of a camera that is opening and closing with the relative brightness of the scene.

When this comes into play, some of the advantages of plasma technology temporarily go away in the interest of a blacker black.

I understand. My comments on the CR increases were made on fact. Tom Huffman at AVS measured the on/off of the 2008 Panny's, which was 4200:1, which is quite good and an improvement over the 2007 models. Gregg Loewen even stated these 2008 Panny's have good blacks when he was doing mine. I think the Kuro runs about 7500:1, but Im not sure. I try not to go off manufacturer numbers and what users claim they see, hard numbers are always better. This is one place AVS excels, when you need good numbers.

I can only recommend what I know, and at $1499.99 (amazons price right now), a 50" 85u is a damn fine tv.

Ive seen a 650 Sammy LCD in action and the blacks do look good, I actually think the LCD plasma black gap has diminished almost to a non issue in the better lcd's. My only issue was the motion blur, which Samsung eliminated in the 950, but that model is just too pricey(if Im gonna spend $3000 on a tv, its gonna be a Kuro). The 2009 mid to high range LCD's should be darn fine tv's.

I think the OP should find a great deal on a top notch 2008 tv, and not look back.

Well I finally pulled the trigger today. I went to Circuit City to purchase the Samsung PN58A550 that was on sale for $2,599. But when I got there, they had the same TV with an open box for $2,249. I made the purchase and will be picking it up tomorrow. I actually got the TV and also an open box Samsung Blue Ray player for another $209. Now I'm on a quest for a entertainment center to go under it.

Get SONY.. Yes I just bought sonyxbr6 52” month ago is real AWSOME and pic quality is SUPER & SHARP!!!I always buy Sony TVS, I have few LCDS from and works great!

Sorry I don't get to post often due to dial-up, but this is a lot of great information and thanks everybody for posting.

If I were to buy, I would buy right now, but I can only make 50% of the decision. The wife has to say yes at some point and time also. Maybe at tax return time? We'll see.

Does anyone know the average lifespan of the sammys, pannys and sonys?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)