Help. Hopper Upgrade to U110 Unusable

rstark18

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Aug 29, 2007
My 1st gen Hopper was just force upgraded to U110 a few days ago and it is a disaster. The Hopper is so slow and unresponsive now. I press buttons and it reacts seconds latter. Before the upgrade it was running perfect plenty fast enough for me. I did not want or need the new interface especially seeing how it has turned my viewing experience into frustration.

Is there a way to roll back software?

I already asked if I could get a free upgrade since the update has slowed down the DVR and I didn't have a choice. I was told I would have to pay for the newer hardware.

As I (and the wife) can't live with this slow interface I will probably give another service provider a try for at least a year. It's really too bad as I've been a loyal customer from almost the very beginning (19 years).

Time to upgrade to the Hopper 3. Well worth it. It's going to cost you to switch and it will not perform up to the Hopper 3.

It's ironic, but 6+ months ago, Dish said the first-generation Hoppers wouldn't get the new interface ..... because they weren't powerful enough to run it.

No, you can't roll back. Even if you could, Dish is pushing this to all Hoppers eventually.

The other sat provider is offering me some pretty outstanding deals. I know they are temporary but why not take advantage of it if Dish doesn't want to help. If Dish would roll me back to the old interface I wouldn't have any issues. As far as upgrading, I would if it was offered but to spend $200 to upgrade to something I absolutely don't need is just a waste of money. I don't need any of the features of the H3.

Give it 48 hours to unscramble its mind, then re-evaluate the performance.

I have no insight into this problem, just throwing something on the wall.

You might get a free H3 upgrade out of this, though.

Its correct that you can't downgrade back to the old UI, but it might be worth your time to contact one of the DIRT members on here via PM to explain your situation and see if they might be able to provide any upgrade assistance above what the CSR you spoke with could offer. (Assuming you want to stick with Dish at this point)

They are generally much more helpful and knowledgeable than the regular phone support folks. Looks like MattG@DISH and Chris_S@DISH are both online at the moment. You can click on their names in this post and click "Start a Conversation" to send them a message.

Give it 48 hours to unscramble its mind, then re-evaluate the performance.

I have no insight into this problem, just throwing something on the wall.

You might get a free H3 upgrade out of this, though.

It's been 3 day and still a mess. I asked DIRT about a free upgrade and was shot down. Kinda surprised me as I've been a very easy customer.

It's been 3 day and still a mess. I asked DIRT about a free upgrade and was shot down. Kinda surprised me as I've been a very easy customer.

Yeah...after day three, what you've got is probably what you've got, performance-wise. Sorry to hear that DIRT couldn't help you out.

Last thought...have you tried a front-panel reset or pulling the power plug for 5-10 minutes to do a complete reboot of the Hopper, just to see if that helps any?

Yeah...after day three, what you've got is probably what you've got, performance-wise. Sorry to hear that DIRT couldn't help you out.

Last thought...have you tried a front-panel reset or pulling the power plug for 5-10 minutes to do a complete reboot of the Hopper, just to see if that helps any?
Yep, tried a complete shutdown (plug pulled).
While I was typing this DIRT got back to me with a very reasonable offer (not free, but very reasonable). So thanks everyone for the input.

I just bought a TiVo Roamio OTA with 4 OTA tuners, if Dish pushes Carbon UI to both of my Hopper 2's , we might just cut the cord and go OTA only.

We mostly watch network programs ,except for a couple of things, but we can get them SD through our "free" TV with our cable internet service.

The Hopper 1 simply isn't powerful enough to run the new UI. Dish knows this and has stated it. Why they're moving forward with it is anyone's guess. I can understand wanting all Hoppers on the same interface from their support standpoint though. You have to wonder if it's a way to get customers to upgrade.

Sent from my HTC6535LVW using Tapatalk

The Hopper 1 simply isn't powerful enough to run the new UI. Dish knows this and has stated it. Why they're moving forward with it is anyone's guess. I can understand wanting all Hoppers on the same interface from their support standpoint though. You have to wonder if it's a way to get customers to upgrade.

Sent from my HTC6535LVW using Tapatalk
My thoughts exactly

It's ironic, but 6+ months ago, Dish said the first-generation Hoppers wouldn't get the new interface ..... because they weren't powerful enough to run it

Sounds like lawsuit material to me...

Haha ! On what grounds ?

Selling a product known to be defective...

Seriously, if this is most people's attitude, no wonder none of these customer-unfriendly companies ever get dealt with properly...

Seriously, if this is most people's attitude, no wonder none of these customer-unfriendly companies ever get dealt with properly...
Not defective...in that it still serves it's original purpose. Just not up-gradable as hoped, apparently. Nothing to crusade about here.

Defective ? How so ? Are you saying that it no longer shows programming, records shows, allows playback of recorded shows, and so on ? I'm surprised the OP didn't mention those things.
Seriously, if this is most people's attitude...
You mean not being in favor of frivolous lawsuits ? Count me in !

Reactions: DWS44
Defective ? How so ? Are you saying that it no longer shows programming, records shows, allows playback of recorded shows, and so on ? I'm surprised the OP didn't mention those things.
You mean not being in favor of frivolous lawsuits ? Count me in !

I just checked, my original Hopper updated to S625 this morning at 2:00am, 1/31/17. Have not noticed any
difference and the guide looks the same as always. ????

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts