Help! I Can't Watch Video/YouTube/Anything On My Computer!

jason.cinema

Original poster
May 15, 2008
Well, I'm officially at wit's end.

For some strange reason, whenever I attempt to watch something, be it on YouTube, Apple's trailers site, or even something on my own computer - be it on VLC player, Windows Media Player - the video will play but in a staggered, delayed manner with pixelation at times. The audio sounds fine but the video lags behind tremendously. I've uninstalled and then installed Flash, installed an update for Java, restarted the computer what feels like a thousand and one times, checked on my refresh rate, my hardwarew processing, and I've deleted many unncessary files and programs - all to no avail. I have a Dell Dimension 2350.

If anyone has any ideas whatsoever regarding how I'd go about fixing this, I would be incredibly grateful. I'm already having video withdrawals...

Well, I'm officially at wit's end.

For some strange reason, whenever I attempt to watch something, be it on YouTube, Apple's trailers site, or even something on my own computer - be it on VLC player, Windows Media Player - the video will play but in a staggered, delayed manner with pixelation at times. The audio sounds fine but the video lags behind tremendously. I've uninstalled and then installed Flash, installed an update for Java, restarted the computer what feels like a thousand and one times, checked on my refresh rate, my hardwarew processing, and I've deleted many unncessary files and programs - all to no avail. I have a Dell Dimension 2350.

If anyone has any ideas whatsoever regarding how I'd go about fixing this, I would be incredibly grateful. I'm already having video withdrawals...

Jason, I would suggest your next thing to check, is to see if ANOTHER pc, hooked up to the same ethernet connection you are using, has the same problem. Perhaps it's a problem with your ISP, and not your pc.

Well, I'm officially at wit's end. I have a Dell Dimension 2350.

You say you have a Dell Dimension 2350, but that means absolutely nothing.

What processor?

What O/S and version / SP?

How much memory & type?

What video card and driver version?

What ISP, its speed and your connection methods to that ISP?

Give us some details we can work with. I mean not being able to play YouTube or the like via the net means something is really slow or your PC is almost fubar. Using these types of services should be one of the easiest & simplest things to perform for your PC.

Check the video card to see if its fan and/or gpu cooler is clogged with dust and lint, the gpu could already be hot and when you play the video it gets to hot.

You can also check to see if you have an application thats running and using alot of system resources such as anything on Boinc or the folding at home utility or a virus program, my wife has had a problem from time to time with explorer suddenly pushing the cpu to %100 and slowing down all area's of the pc.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)