Help ! I really GOOFED !!!!!!!!!

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Status
Please reply by conversation.

fortyfives

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Aug 2, 2005
Well, a couple of hours ago, I did something really stupid ! My wife bought several new roses and naturally I got the job of digging the holes and planting them. She set them out along the fence where she wanted them planted, and I started digging. All of the sudden, I hit something I thought was a tree root. You guessed it ! It was the ribbon wire for my BUD. Fortunately, the two coax legs didn't get cut. But, the leg for the polarizer and the leg for the actuator were cut completely in two. Now, here's my question: What is the best way to splice these back together and make them waterproof? Once they are repaired, can I bury them again or will they have to remain above ground ? Help !

Your lucky you didn't hit the coax, because that what matters for signal. Just twist the wires back together and use alot of electrical tape. It wont affect the polarity servo or the actuator by breaking it.

Several years ago, I did the same thing:eek: Tape and shrink wrap are both good, but really dope it up good with lot of silicone sealer, about 4-6 inches both ways from splice. Water will never get to that section.

3M UR connectors work well for the smaller wires since you don't have to strip the wires and they're flooded with silicone grease.

Silicone sealant works great as others have mentioned, or check the boating section of the hardware store for a rubber paint on liquid for sealing electrical wires.

Fixed it ! I used a combination of bullet connectors, shrink tubing, black tape, and a big glob of silicon.

Thanks guys for all your suggestions!

something else that I like to use (for future reference) is rubber tape, I learned about this stuff from a ham friend of mine... he uses it on the antenna connectors for his repeater. it looks like black tape but if you stretch it when putting it on it will never leak (at least it never has for me ;) )

icstephen said:
something else that I like to use (for future reference) is rubber tape, I learned about this stuff from a ham friend of mine... he uses it on the antenna connectors for his repeater. it looks like black tape but if you stretch it when putting it on it will never leak (at least it never has for me ;) )
We use this at work on splicing 440 and 980 volt cables (covering with plastic of course) thats an Idea I never thought of for coax etc... and there are always rolls too small to do a splice with that get discarded... My BUD cables are in 2" PVC...

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts