Help! I'm getting 129 (not 61.5)

Cegarrett

Supporting Founder
Original poster
Supporting Founder
Feb 9, 2005
Shreveport, LA
I'm Moving and the tech support told me that I would be getting a dish1000 this means I'm getting 129 not 61.5. Correct?

I'm located in NW Louisiana for reference.

Are there channels on 61.5 that are not on 129? (HD Channels)

According to www.DishChannelChart.com 61.5 has CBS-HD (distant). I've just received a waver for CBS Distants and want to get the HD channel If possible.

Am I over reacting to this news? I understand that the signal from 129 is not nearly as good as 61.5 but I wasn't asked.

Is there any way to get a 61.5 Dish installed instead of a 129?

Any suggestions and/or Comments are welcome.

Thanks in advance,
Cegarrett

Last edited:
You may be able to call them back and tell them instead of the Dish 1000, you desire a Dish 500 with a second dish at 61.5. But first you need to figure out why. Looking at http://ekb.dbstalk.com/129list.htm, the only thing I see on 129 maybe they are giving you a Distant Network Station from the Denver market, i.e., the CBS-HD in Denver which is KCNC TV on channel 6331.

Last edited:
If he qualifies for CBS-HD, he would get either the cbs out of NY (on 61.5) or cbs out of LA (on 148). The only other channel he could get would be the HD demo channel, only on 61.5. As far as the signal quality - 129 was/is supposed to get it's power bumped up. (At least I think this was mentioned on the Tech Forumn.)

garys said:
129 was/is supposed to get it's power bumped up. (At least I think this was mentioned on the Tech Forumn.)

Huh????????????

It's supposed to get replaced but that is a long way away.

I'm on the phone with dish now and they are telling me that the CONUS (WCBS-DT) is in Mpeg-4 and I'll have to have the VIP series recievers to get it.

Can Any one confirm?

thanks

garys said:
WCBS-HD out of NY is not mpeg4 for channel 9483. It is still viewable on my 921.

That's what I thought. I'll see if a 61.5 Dish will work for me (LOS) and call or e-mail DISH CEO.

Who has the Dish CEO telephone #?

Cegarrett said:
I'm on the phone with dish now and they are telling me that the CONUS (WCBS-DT) is in Mpeg-4 and I'll have to have the VIP series recievers to get it.
I thought several weeks ago I read a post, maybe a comment from Scott, or maybe even on a Dish webpage, that all new HD would be activated with a MPEG4 (ViP series) receiver.

Of course, if you are just moving, I wouldn't think you would need to upgrade your receiver.

In ref to my comment about the Denver CBS-HD, I was thinking that maybe Dish was giving him DNS for any Networks he did not have. Denver HD Locals are on 129.

I believe the last Tech Talk said something about adjusting the power on 129.

Last edited:
FYI - From a post on the thread "I finally got Distant CBS HD" http://www.satelliteguys.us/showthread.php?t=75341

goaliebob99 said:
Not true.. that was for sd dns... Dish currently doesnt have an agreement for the digital side of the house and dns, thus nobody recives hd via dns. The only agreement that is in place right now is CBS. With a waver or if you live in an O and O area (cbs owned and operated) you can get CBS HD provided if you have a dish pointed at 61.5 or 148.

Last edited:
To answer your original question about the 61.5 dish, I had the same delima when I moved from LA to TX. Even though I had a Dish 500 and a Dish 300 (pointing at 61.5), they did not want to install a second dish pointing at 61.5 because almost all of those channels are on the 129. So I said I was getting the military channel and GSN and were no longer receiving those channels. Bottom line is that they added a second dish and charged me $49 to get the same service I had originally...so much for Dish movers!

Based on my observations in both LA and TX, the 61.5 signals are much stronger and do not drop out as much as the 129.

styxfix said:
You'll probably have to get another new waver for CBS-HD for your new address. The other one you got is only good at your previous location.

Let them (customer service) bring this up.

It's possible they won't catch it.

But then again your CBS-HD may be gone right off the bat.

I've seen it go both ways in similar situations.

Update as of 9/3/06

I got my Dish 1000 Installed on Sat. and everything went fine until Sat PM my 942 lost its authorization. I Called and chose the menu selections for programming and ended talking to a (regular) tech after asking for an advanced tech 3 times I tried to let her help me. I finally just hung up on her and called back and immediately asked for an advanced tech and was quickly transferred. While the advanced tech send the "Ping" to my box three times (and finally got it working) I told her the story and also the story about the dish 1000 vs the Dish 500 with a 61.5 dish and gave her a couple of channels that I liked watching that were only on 61.5 (Pentagon & HD DEMO(the fish)). She also noticed the the CBS-HD was added to my account and knew that it was only avail at 61.5 also. She asked what kind of LNB's & switches I and ended up authorizing me for a "4 port" switch with the stipulation that I'd get my old Dish 500 from my other house. I agreed and have an appointment scheduled for Sat.

Moral of the story: you can find a good tech every once in a while and if you show them you have some knowledge they will help.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts