New Jersey
Hello

I'm trying to install the following motorized system but I'm stuck:
Winegard 31" dish
ViewSat Ultra
Invacom LNBF
SG-2100 motor

Here's how I oriented the dish:
1) I went to http://www.ngdc.noaa.gov/seg/geomag/jsp/struts/calcDeclination and plugged in my zip code... let's use 07662 for this example since it's pretty close to mine.
2) I went to http://www.lyngsat.com/america.html and found that SBS-6 is the closest satellite to my longitude.
3) I got my azimuth from here, http://monsterfm.com/engineering/pointdish.htm, which was about 180° and subtracted my declination from step on from it. I was a little confused whether to add or subtract but after a while of looking at maps I decided to subtract it.
4) I then pointed my dish the best I could in that direction.

Here's how I setup the dish/motor:
I set the elevation on the dish to it's lowest possible setting. I then set the motor's elevation to 43° which should be right for me based on the above.

Here's how I wired everything:
I wired one cable coming out of the C line of the LNB and one cable coming out of the L line to the DiSEqC switch as LNB 1 and LNB 2. I then took another cable from the switch's receiver output and fed it to the LNB input on the motor. I connected yet another cable to the receiver port on the motor to my receiver. No signal :(

I tried using the satellite finder I have but I'm not sure how to use that vs the receive, etc. I'm confused as to how to proceed from here.

I think I went over my head with motorized system on the first go and I apologize for added the extra layer of complexity however any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks
Sam

PS I tried to be as detailed as possible but it's possible I missed something (I'm afterall a newbie). Please let me know if you need more info and I'll gladly provide it.

Last edited:
Set you motor to 41 degs Latitude (if it only has elevation setting then 49 degs). Easy if you have Latitude on on scale - you set it to your latitude. I show 07662 to be ROCHELLE PARK, NJ with Latitude 40.9 degs and Longitude of 74 degrees.

Your dish should be set to 24 degrees. Your true south satellite is correct SBS-6 @ 74W.

I would try setting the motor on 74W with the receiver, then turn off your receiver with the power switch on the back or unplug it. Bypass the motor and the switch and go directly to the L port on the LNB. Turn the receiver back on and make sure the setting of the LNB is set correctly for standard or universal. Set it on transponder 11742 H 6616. Then loosen the dish clamp on the motor shaft move left/right slowly 1/16 of an inch at a time. If you don't find anything at 10 degrees left or right the move the dish elevation up/down 2 degrees and repeat. Never change the setting on the motor latitude setting.
When you find the satellite fine tune it by tweaking it up/down & left/right lock it down. Then turn off the receiver and reconnect the motor and switch like you have done as shown in your post.
Bob
PS your compass reading should be 192 degrees!

Last edited:
Thanks for the response Bob

I tried setting the latitude on the motor to 41 degrees. That seemed to increase the signal strength a bit but not dramatically. I can't see it right now but if I remember correctly the reason I set the dish's elevation to the lowest possible setting was because it stopped at 30 degrees. I can't do better than that unfortunately.

How do I use the satellite finder to help me with the procedure you described above? I'm by myself so running back and forth is not that easy.

Thanks
Sam

It is easier if you use your receiver and a small TV right next to your dish to make the adjustments.The indicator on the receiver seems to work better then a signalmeter.
Reinhold.

I found someone too help for a while but now it's beginning to rain a bit. Oh well... going to have to try another day. Here's what I tried to end the day:
I moved the dish to point to 192 degrees instead of 166 degrees.
I moved the latitude on the motor to 41 degrees then moved it to 43 degrees.

Still no luck... Odd thing is when I bring the arm of the dish down (it's too high for me to adjust otherwise) the signal goes up which is odd because it's as if I'm increasing the latitude tremendously. Even then I'm really only up to 63% on the receiver's signal gauge.

I guess tomorrow is another day. If you have any other tips by all means let me know :).

Sam,
Signal strength just tells you that the LNB is hooked up. Use quality strength if that is available on your viewsat. Trying to adjust a dish remotely is almost impossible - I won't even try it with two people and cell phones!

You are going to have to get the dish down to 24 degrees. Maybe someone that knows the winegard 31" can help, I have never worked with one.

If you are using a SF-15 meter they are only helpful, in my opinion, when you have a TV to use as well. I bought a Coby 5" B/W TV for $20. See this thread: http://www.satelliteguys.us/showpost.php?p=842455&postcount=118

To use the meter set the knob so that it just stops squealing - swing the dish bit by bit until it squeals, repeat the stop squealing and tweaking for best signal. Then finish the job with the TV.
Bob

... Odd thing is when I bring the arm of the dish down (it's too high for me to adjust otherwise) the signal goes up which is odd because it's as if I'm increasing the latitude tremendously. Even then I'm really only up to 63% on the receiver's signal gauge.

Signal strength goes up when a dish is aimed more at the earth then the sky because of the warmth of the earth as compared to the sky. Thats why it just tells you that the LNB is hooked up!
Bob

Hmm... that's not good then because it seems I only have signal but no quality... How do you get the quality part rising?

You must be on a satellite with the receiver set for an active transponder for the quality to show and lock. Means you have to be aimed within 1 or 2 degrees of the Satellite, the SF-15 will help find that small window.
Bob

I think I made a mistake by mounting the satellite so high on my roof. These minor adjustments are extremely difficult like this. It's really the only clear view of the south though....

Last edited:
Out of curiousity... everything I've read says point to your closest satellite. What if that's not the satellite I want to actually obtain signal from. Does that still apply?

Thanks
Sam

I believe what you have read probably refers to the closest satellite to your True South (TS). So without reading for sure what you have seen, your true TS is always your Longitude, but your TS satellite will not always be exactly at your longitude. So you pick a satellite, that has a transponder that you can tune in, that is as close to your longitude as possible .
Bob

I'm going crazy now... I can't seem to locate a signal... I'm holding steady at 44... I tried setting my elevation and keeping it steady the moving the dish to the left and right. I brought a TV here and connected my sat finder to between the connection from the dish to the receiver... I haven't a sound from it.

Thanks Bob again for your replies.... I did pick a satellite specifically SBS-6 which should be on 74 longitude which is where I'm located as well.

Just to make sure... to figure out true south I set my compass at magnetic south then find add my declination so my dish is aligned with 193 in my case as you stated above... is that correct?

Yes, with the compass needle set on north your TS will be 193-194 Degrees on the dial.
Bob

I really have no idea what I'm doing wrong.... I'm going crazy... I think I set this dish up too high which is causing me problems. I can't do much about that and frankly it's my only real clearing but I think it's making this process difficult...

No... the problem is the dish doens't relaly go past 30 and once I put the tube in for the motor then the bolts hit the tube and you can't push it past there. Is there a way to compensate for that?

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts